Subject: clisp 1994-01-07 installation problems on AXP OSF/1 1.3

From: Jarkko Hietaniemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 1994 21:03:13 +0200

I can't figure what am I doing wrong:  the lisp.run always core dumps.
I use gcc 2.5.7, -g -DNO_SINGLEMAP -DNO_MULTIMAP_SHM in CFLAGS.  I get
no errors during configuration with "target", no errors on compilation
(lotsa warnings, though).  But this all I get, after starting afresh
the whole procedure now about 10 ten times:

...
gcc -O -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -O2 -g  -DNO_SINGLEMAP -DNO_MULTIMAP_SHM  spvw.o spvwtabf.o spvwtabs.o spvwtabo.o eval.o control.o pathname.o stream.o socket.o io.o array.o hashtabl.o list.o package.o record.o sequence.o charstrg.o debug.o error.o misc.o predtype.o symbol.o lisparit0.o stdwin.o graph.o unixaux.o libreadline.a  -ltermcap -L/usr/lib -lX11 -o lisp.run
sync
./lisp.run -m 750KW -x "(load \"init.lsp\") (sys::%saveinitmem) (exit)"
/bin/sh: 24219 Memory fault - core dumped
make: *** [interpreted.mem] Error 139
./txt2c < _README > txt.c
...

That core above is fruitless: the stack trace (displayed either by gdb 4.11
or DEC dbx) shows nothing useful: the damn thing craps out deep in system
malloc() _before_ even entering main().

Could someone who has succesfully compiled CLISP 1994-01-07 on AXP OSF/1 1.3
(_and_ still has the compilation directory intact) please send me uuencoded
(maybe gzipped?) the tar made by this command

tar cvf /tmp/foo.tar `find . -type f -print | egrep '(ake(file)*|(config|/machine|ports).(h|status))$'`

in his compilation directory.  This should include all the files
created during the configuration, I will compare those with the ones I have.

++jhi;

---

From: [email-masked] (Marcus Daniels)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 94 11:47:07 PST

>>>>> "JH" == Jarkko Hietaniemi <[email-masked]> writes:

JH> That core above is fruitless: the stack trace (displayed either by
JH> gdb 4.11 or DEC dbx) shows nothing useful: the damn thing craps
JH> out deep in system malloc() _before_ even entering main().

I'm sure you've tried this, but have you recompiled without
-fomit-frame-pointer (and optimization).  Your stack trace description
sounds like this is the problem.  If not, sorry for the dumb advice.

I've been trying to get CLISP working with a Mach MULTIMAP configuration.
Unfortunately, I use NEXTSTEP, which lacks external pagers.  So I can
use the vm_map function.  If I figure out a workaround, I'll finish
that particular configuration (with IMMUTABLE support).

However, it was easy to make a SINGLEMAP configuration based on vm_allocate.
It should work with OSF also.  If your in a hurry, let me know.  Otherwise
I'll wait to upload the patches until I figure out a workaround for the memory
mapping problem (or get my hands on a complete Mach implementation).