Subject: date error on compilation

From: [email-masked] (Haitao Zhang)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 21:08:22 -0700

Hi, 
I am new user of CLISP. I just installed it on my 486 running Linux/X. I used
the binary came with Slackware distribution of Linux. I followed the in-
structions in README file to compile the config.lsp file. However, the compila-
tion cannot complete when the Lisp gave a mesage of incorrect date, followed by
the date of my machine (I think.). Could someone give some hints?
Thanks,
Haitao

---

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 94 16:39:33 +0200

-- Linux specific --

> I just installed it on my 486 running Linux/X. ... However, the compila-
> tion cannot complete when the Lisp gave a mesage of incorrect date,
> followed by the date of my machine (I think.).

It has been observed that on some Linux machines the system variable
sys_tz.tz_minuteswest is set to the number of seconds (not minutes!)
west of Greenwich. You might fix this by fixing your clock/date program
or by putting a workaround into your Linux kernel:

*** linux/kernel/time.c	Thu Jun  2 09:54:37 1994
--- linux/kernel/time.c.fix	Tue Sep 13 16:35:53 1994
***************
*** 272,277 ****
--- 272,279 ----
  		return -EPERM;
  	if (tz) {
  		sys_tz.tz_minuteswest = get_fs_long((unsigned long *) tz);
+ 		if (abs(sys_tz.tz_minuteswest) >= 30)
+ 			sys_tz.tz_minuteswest = sys_tz.tz_minuteswest / 60;
  		sys_tz.tz_dsttime = get_fs_long(((unsigned long *) tz)+1);
  		if (firsttime) {
  			firsttime = 0;

                    Bruno Haible
                    [email-masked]

---

From: Mauricio Hernandez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 10:49:00 -0400

-- Linux --

>or by putting a workaround into your Linux kernel:

I was having the same problem and was pointed by a member of this
list to ftp ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de and get the binaries
directly from there.  I believe they are under pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/linux.
That version has worked without problems for me.  

Mauricio
--
Mauricio A. Hernandez (Graduate Student)  [email-masked]
Department of Computer Science, Columbia University.  New York, NY