Subject: compiled vs. uncompiled code

From: Tara Cox Matise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 15:54:20 EDT

Can someone please explain why my program bombs when I load in raw
source code but not when I load in compiled code.  I have a LISP
program which I have been using for sometime with CLIP, with great
success.  Someone esle started using it today with a new dataset, and
he encountered this error:

*** - Lisp stack overflow. RESET

I duplicated the error, and found that it does not occur when compiled
code versus source code is loaded into CLISP.

Thanks,

Tara

--

Tara Cox Matise,Ph.D.
Department of Human Genetics
University of Pittsburgh

[email-masked]
http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~matise

---

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 94 16:56:23 +0200

> source code but not when I load in compiled code.

Behaviour differences between interpreted and compiled code can have the
following reasons:
- Use of EVAL-WHEN (COMPILE).
- Macros which destructively modify the code being interpreted or compiled.
  Evil. You can detect this using CLISP binaries which have IMMUTABLE
  support built in.

> *** - Lisp stack overflow. RESET

Compiled code uses less stack space. Maybe your code is deeply recursive.
Find out like this: interrupt just before you get the stack overflow
message, and look at the stack using the Backtrace commands.

                    Bruno Haible
                    [email-masked]