Subject: New version of old CLISP

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 17:10:49 +0200

I am making available my current personal source of CLISP. It is in
ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de:/pub/lisp/clisp/source-haible/clispsrc.tar.z.

Active development of CLISP is done by Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>.
Please send suggestions for improvement to him (to me as well, if you like).
I expect he will make a new release of CLISP soon. His version of CLISP
will certainly be more portable, easier to port and have more distinguished
features (like a foreign function interface). But if you are already
familiar with installing CLISP and only want a source with all currently
known bugs fixed, you may try the one in source-haible/.

Change log since 8 January 1994:

22 June 1994
============

User visible changes
--------------------

* French support is now complete. Thanks to Joerg Hoehle.

* The user interface language (english, german or french) can now be chosen
  at startup time through a command line option. The constant *LANGUAGE* has
  been removed, and its value has been removed from *FEATURES*. New macros
  ENGLISH, DEUTSCH, FRANCAIS and LANGUAGE-CASE.

* There is a command line option that makes CLISP behave more like what
  ILISP (a popular Emacs LISP interface) expects. Thanks to Marcus Daniels.

* The function CLOS:CALL-NEXT-METHOD can now be called with arguments, but
  the check that the set of applicable methods must be the same as for the
  original arguments will be bypassed.

* New functions READ-CHAR-SEQUENCE, WRITE-CHAR-SEQUENCE, READ-BYTE-SEQUENCE,
  WRITE-BYTE-SEQUENCE which perform fast block I/O.

* Errors of type FLOATING-POINT-UNDERFLOW are inhibited in floating point
  computations (and zero is returned instead) during execution of the new
  macro WITHOUT-FLOATING-POINT-UNDERFLOW.

* X3J13 vote <95> is implemented: If the readtable argument passed to
  GET-MACRO-CHARACTER and GET-DISPATCH-MACRO-CHARACTER is NIL, the standard
  readtable is used.

* PROBE-FILE doesn't report an error any more if an intermediate directory
  in the path doesn't exist. NIL is returned instead.

* The DEFCONSTANT warning about redefinition of a constant is inhibited if
  the constant's new and old values are the same (in the sense of EQL).
  Thanks to Marcus Daniels.

* The function INTERACTIVE-STREAM-P knows that if the terminal stream is
  referring to a regular file (via input redirection) it is not interactive.

* There is a user programmable kind of streams, called generic streams.
  New functions MAKE-GENERIC-STREAM, GENERIC-STREAM-CONTROLLER,
  GENERIC-STREAM-P, GENERIC-STREAM-READ-CHAR, GENERIC-STREAM-READ-BYTE,
  GENERIC-STREAM-LISTEN, GENERIC-STREAM-WRITE-CHAR, GENERIC-STREAM-WRITE-BYTE,
  GENERIC-STREAM-WRITE-STRING, GENERIC-STREAM-CLEAR-INPUT,
  GENERIC-STREAM-CLEAR-OUTPUT, GENERIC-STREAM-FINISH-OUTPUT,
  GENERIC-STREAM-FORCE-OUTPUT, GENERIC-STREAM-CLOSE.
  See impnotes.txt for details. Thanks to Marcus Daniels and Don Cohen.

* The macro WITH-OUTPUT-TO-PRINTER may now also work on OS/2.
  
* Fixed a CLOS bug: Generic functions with both optional and keyword
  arguments didn't work.

* Fixed a serious bug in the compiler which caused incorrect code to be
  generated for functions like (LAMBDA (X) (SETQ X 1)).

* Fixed a serious bug in the compiler which caused the compiler to crash
  when compiling functions which contain two or more calls to ASSERT.

* Fixed a bug: The macroexpander of MULTIPLE-VALUE-SETQ built up a
  syntactically illegal form.

* Fixed a bug in the reader: When reading pathnames from the syntax
  #S(PATHNAME ...), #n# references in pathname components were not
  resolved prior to calling MAKE-PATHNAME.

* Fixed a bug in the reader: (read-from-string "1/") signalled an error
  of type DIVISION-BY-ZERO.

* Fixed a bug in the terminal stream: If several consecutive READ-LINE
  operations on the terminal stream were performed without any text
  containing newlines being output between them, the prompt finally got
  duplicated and then became longer and longer.

* Fixed a bug in the readline library (bad handling of prompts longer than
  one line). Thanks to Marcus Daniels.

Installation
------------

* All non-Unix versions: Setting the local time zone should now be much
  easier. 122 time zone names are supported.

Portability
-----------

* Unix version only: Getting the time zone should be more robust.

* Added support for NeXT (68k or i386 CPU) running NeXTstep 3.2. Thanks to
  Marcus Daniels.

* Added support for Sequent PTX. Thanks to Marcus Daniels.

* Added support for m88000 running DG/UX. Thanks to Pat McClanahan.

* Added support for UnixWare. Thanks to Alexander Adam.

* Added support for BSDI/386. Thanks to Atsuo Ohki.

* More support for WATCOM C on DOS. Thanks to Blake McBride.

* More support for IRIX 5. Thanks to Bjorn Remseth.

* More support for Sun4m. Thanks to Neil Faulks.

* Better support (speedup) for HP 9000/800 running HP-UX.

* On HP 9000/700 running HP-UX: Don't depend directly on the assembler.

* Maybe some support for SCO. Thanks to Cathy Bareiss.

Other modifications
-------------------

* Speedup SUBLIS and NSUBLIS.

* Let all known versions of gcc2 emit dbra instructions for loops. Thanks
  to Joerg Hoehle.

* Renamed condition.lsp to conditio.lsp.

* Miscellaneous documentation updates.

                    Bruno Haible
                    [email-masked]

---

From: "jc.beaudoin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 13:24:01 -0400

I am trying to use the June 22 version of CLISP on my UnixWare (1.1) machine
and I have the impression I ran into a bug.

The compilation/installation went smoothly. I used the recommended CFLAGS
as given in unix/PLATFORMS. "make test" and "make testsuite" reported
everything ok.

But when I try to compile CLX I get the following message:

*** - Lisp stack overflow. RESET

"make clx" completes without further problem and produces the expected files.
But running the CLX demos never get to any result visible on the screen
and end with the same message:

*** - Lisp stack overflow. RESET

Does anybody know what's wrong? Should I go back to a previous version of
CLISP?

Thanks for your help.

Jean-Claude Beaudoin

Sobeco Ernst & Young,   division MultiLIS         email: [email-masked]
505 boul. Rene-Levesque ouest                     tel: (514) 878-9090 ext.352
Montreal, Canada, H2Z 1Y7                         fax: (514) 875-2673