Subject: ECL - more details please!

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 15:49:14 -0800

I'd appreciate more details, such as:
- How large is the image?
- How conformant is it to CLtL1, CLtL2, proposed Ansi CL?
- What are the limitations on heap size, stack size, etc.?
- Does it do its own paging or must everything fit in main memory?
  (This question only applies to OS's like DOS that don't do this
  for you.)
- Is it able to call DOS/UNIX programs (like CLISP)?
- Does it contain any support for screen windows, as described in
  earlier messages?
- Does it contain any support for window systems such as MSWindows,
  X, etc.?
- Does it compile into native machine instructions or use a byte 
  code interpreter?
Pretend that I also asked any other questions that you think a
prospective user would be interested in.

---

From: Giuseppe Attardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 94 02:29:52 +0100

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 15:49:14 -0800
   Posted-Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 15:49:14 -0800
   From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
   Sender: [email-masked]

The kernel without compiler is 700KB, with compiler and some
preallocated memory 2MB.

It is fully CLtL1 conformant. It has a CLtL2-conformant CLOS.

Those of your machine: heap is obtained with sbrk, the stack is the C
stack.

It relies on the OS for paging: on DOS it uses go32.

Definitely: either through a direct function call or through the Lisp
function (SYSTEM string).

No.

I have a specially optimized version of CLX.

It compiles to C and then uses the C compiler on your machine to generate
native code.