Subject: Hackers: need your help

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 20:05:53 +0200

This message is directed to you if you use Unix, have some C skills
(using the C compiler and the debugger) and want to see generational
garbage collection supported on your machine in the next CLISP release.

"Generational" garbage collection is an algorithm that is more efficient
on systems which have virtual memory, i.e. swap memory to disk when needed.
It will hopefully enable efficient working with 11 megabyte data
(such as Garnet) on 8 MB machines.

Unfortunately, its implementation (well, my implementation of it) relies
on some very unportable feature: Being able to catch unpriviledged
memory accesses, which normally lead to core dumps. How to do this,
has to be found out for each Unix variant separately. That's the point
where I need your help.

Unix systems without mmap() and mprotect() are ruled out.
i386/Linux and Sparc/SunOS are already done.

You can now try to get the following test program running.
Please send me your modifications once you got a "Seems to work."
from the program.

                    Bruno Haible
                    [email-masked]