Subject: NOEMS and DOS

From: [email-masked] (Jim W Goodwin)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 22:09:33 -0400

I am relatively new to PC computing and have a Pentium running
Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and DOS 6.2.

I am able to run CLISP by using SYSEDIT to remove the symbol
NOEMS from my CONFIG.SYS but I have some newbie questions.

Do I have to edit this and reboot every time I switch between
CLISP and the rest of my world? I can see that removing NOEMS
causes some DOS programs (Chessmaster 3000, actually) to work
differently, run slower, and crash. Will it similarly affect
Windows programs?

In short, what is the most convenient setup?

Thanks,
Jim Goodwin

---

From: [email-masked] (Marcus Daniels)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 19:29:03 PDT

>>>>> "Jim" == Jim W Goodwin <[email-masked]> writes:

Jim> Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and DOS 6.2.

Jim> I am able to run CLISP by using SYSEDIT to remove the symbol
Jim> NOEMS from my CONFIG.SYS but I have some newbie questions.

Since you are using Windows, I'd suggest trying the RSX extender (this
is briefly discussed in the Windows installation instructions in the `README').

RSX will run the EMX binaries you have, but without needing EMS
emulation -- saving you precious lower memory space which would
otherwise be used for page-frames.