Subject: Problem installing OS/2 version

From: Cris J. Holdorph <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 1994 22:34:05 -36803936 (EST)

I hope this isn't a redundant question on this list, but it was not
mentioned in the documentation so I needed help from somewhere.

While trying to configure and install the OS/2 version of GNU CLISP
I have edited the "config.lsp" file, I then execute 
"lisp -M lispinit.mem" like the README says.  I then execute the
compile command and get the following error:

> (compile-file "config")

Compiling file D:\LISP\CONFIG.LSP ...
*** - READ from #<STRING-CHAR-FILE-STREAM #"D:\\LISP\\CONFIG.LSP">: illegal char
acter #\Code26
1. Break>

What am I doing wrong?  I only edited parts in the same format as was
already there, i.e. changing "C:\\CLISP\\"  to "D:\\CLISP\\".

Any help is appreciated,

---- Cris J H

-- 
==================================================
= Christopher J. Holdorph        ||    Team OS/2 =
= E-Mail:  [email-masked]  ||              =
= Michigan State University      ||              =
==================================================
= "...Your dream is over, Or has it just begun?" =
=  ---"Silent Lucidity",  Queensryche            =
==================================================

---

From: Timothy Redmond <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 10:41:46 -0500

The problem that you are having is with the ^Z that your editor is
setting at the end of your config.lsp file.  If it is inconvenient to
arrange that the editor does not put ^Z at the end of the file then a
possible solution is to put the line 

	(set-syntax-from-char (code-char 26) #\Space)

into the config.lsp.  This arranges that ^Z is treated like a space.

I have found another related problem in that if you share lisp files
created and used for CLISP under OS2 (and probably DOS) then the ^M's
that DOS/OS2 editors place in the files causes trouble at the UNIX
sites.  I fix this by putting the line 

      (set-syntax-from-char (code-char 13) #\Space)	

in the appropriate source file so that the UNIX machine does not get
confused by the ^M's.

								tim.