Subject: Basic stuff

From: [email-masked] (Prabhakar Bhogaraju)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 10:26:59 -0500

Hai,

I have just installed CLISP on my PC (once again!). It runs from dos and
gives me the usual prompt. What should I do to quit it? If I say 'exit' or
'quit' it gives me an error message and gets to the 'break>' prompt. How
should I quit the environment? What's the normal protocol for opening and
closing existing files? How do we create a file i.e., how to call the
editor and how to quit it? As you might see from the nature of my
questions, I am an absolute novice. Any and all help is appreciated.

-Prabhakar.

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Shepherd)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 94 08:54 NZDT

> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 94 16:31:46 +0100
> From: [email-masked]
> 

Assuming you have started it with the initial memory image,
lispinit.mem then to quit go:

(bye)
or
(quit)
or
(exit)
or just <Control-Z> enough times should also do it.

The file opening/closing stuff can be done in a variety of ways and
you should really have a LISP book, e.g. Common Lispcraft by
R. Wilensky or the official LISP book called Common Lisp, the Language
by Guy L. Steele (but that costs an arm and a leg so I reccommend some
other way of learning!).

Here's a simple one that should get you going:

(with-open-file (infile "test" :direction :output)
 (princ "Hello, this is a test" infile)
 (terpri infile)
 (princ "Bye now" infile)
 (terpri infile)
)

The analogue for reading from a file can hopefully be guessed from
this one.  Note that the file is both opened and closed byu this
example which is tidy.

Hope that helps,

-- 
Richard Shepherd ([email-masked])