Subject: MAXIMA --> PUNIMAX

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 94 02:04:42 +0100

I have renamed my MAXIMA port for CLISP. It is now called PUNIMAX.
I had to do this because "Macsyma" is a registered trademark of
Macsyma Inc. So please stop talking about Maxima, talk about Punimax
instead.

Peter Olsen <[email-masked]> noticed about Maxima in Jan.94 CLISP:

> Some of the commands work (mostly the directly numeric
> ones) but others don't work at all --- with DESCRIBE, HELP, and
> APROPOS being the most painful absences.
> 
> This is probably due to catastrophic user failure

No, this was caused by the change of the semantics of FUNCTIONP in
the 1994-01-07 release of CLISP. This is fixed in the new PUNIMAX.

README file for PUNIMAX

PUNIMAX is a computer algebra system which runs in CLISP, a Common Lisp
implementation by Bruno Haible and Michael Stoll.

It is based on MAXIMA, a Common Lisp implementation due to William F.
Schelter at Texas University, which itself is based on the original
implementation of Macsyma at MIT.

This is *not* free software. Because the MIT Macsyma code is copyrighted.
To use PUNIMAX or MAXIMA, you are required by US law to first obtain a
license from D.O.E. or one of the commercial licensees, then use the ftp'able
software as enhancements.

Licenses can be obtained from the ESTC, Argonne Ill. Currently their charge
for 1 machine is $165 to universities; site licenses are also available.

Historically, this situation arose from disputes in the U.S. over the
commercialization of partially-government-funded academic research.
Various U.S. governmental orders in the mid-1980's affirmed the rights of
universities to license such research results.

You can then get the PUNIMAX software via FTP from
ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de : /pub/math/punimax/punimax.tar.z .

Bruno Haible
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter C Olsen)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 94 09:43:55 EST

Thanks for the correction.  Punimax works fine.

If you have time, and it's simple, could you point me to one of the
changes?  I'd like to understand what happened.

Thanks again.

Peter Olsen

   Peter Olsen, n2ell, [email-masked]  ...!uunet!super!pcolsen
         P.O. Box 410, Simpsonville, MD 21150-0410; 410-997-8584
     "Engineering is the art of applying a professional knowledge of
   mathematics and the physical sciences to improve the quality of life"

---

From: jcm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 11:51:25 +1000 (EST)

I'm having trouble installing punimax on a Sun 4/670MP running
SunOs4.1.3. I've managed to get clisp installed, and I've changed the
various paths to point to the correct source (I haven't got root
access ;<). 

When in ~/lisp/punimax/src I type

% Makefile

I get the following:

jcm 11:46 69% cd lisp/punimax/src
src 11:46 70% make
clisp -q -c sloop

*** - FUNCALL: the function COMPILE-FILE is undefined
>					(there's a ^D here)
clisp -q -i sloop -c make
^Z
Suspended

What's going on here?

ta muchly,
James
..