Subject: clisp with ilisp

From: "Frank E. Ritter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 21:29:30 +0100

I just started using clisp to teach a course and would like my
students to be able to use it with ilisp.  Has anyone defined a clisp
dialect for ilisp?  Under ilisp 5.5 I'm having problems bringing it up
as straight clisp (ilisp's default commonlisp, probably not the german
clisp).

Thanks,

Frank  [email-masked]
    + 44 (602) 515-292 (office, will bounce eventually to a secretary)
    + 44 (602) 515-324 (incoming fax)
    + 44 (602) 436-265 (home)
Department of Psychology
U. of Nottingham
University Park, Nottingham
NG7 2RD
England

---

From: Joachim Schrod <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 12:19:35 +0100 (MEZ)

> as straight clisp (ilisp's default commonlisp, probably not the german

Using CLISP via ILISP, that's a sad story. What's known here, on this
mailing list:

    Ziad H. Najem <[email-masked]> reported at 12 Mar 1993 that he has
    a semi-working CLISP with ILISP. He mailed some code. This code is
    part of the file mailing-list-archive-1993 that's on the CLISP ftp
    archives in Karlsruhe and Darmstadt.
    
    David Gadbois <[email-masked]> reported on 13 Jan 94 that he
    has an ``ILISP interface (mostly working)''. We haven't heard about
    that work later on this mailing list. (No pun intended, it's just five
    weeks ago. I assume he has real work, too.)
    
    Already at 12 Mar 93, Matthias Lindner
    <[email-masked]> reported a problem
    that I've got, too: ``I get an interactive clisp-buffer, but mode
    reamins :load forever.'' I mentioned at 19 Jan 1994 that changing
    process-connection-type to t (in lisp-mod.el) has repaired it for me
    (at least for small examples, didn't try large ones due to the
    missing adaption of the rest), but for Steve Carney
    <[email-masked]> this did not work [22 Feb 94].

Anybody with more information?

	Joachim

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Joachim Schrod			Email: [email-masked]
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany

---

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 17:11:13 +0100

[Forwarded from David Gadbois <[email-masked]>.]

    Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 05:29-0600
    From: Joachim Schrod <[email-masked]>

	David Gadbois <[email-masked]> reported on 13 Jan 94 that
	he has an ``ILISP interface (mostly working)''. We haven't heard
	about that work later on this mailing list. (No pun intended,
	it's just five weeks ago. I assume he has real work, too.)
    
Right, I have been caught up in the real world.  I did send my "mostly
working" mod to the ILISP mailing list (if there is demand I will resend
it to clisp-list) in the hopes that someone would take it the last yard.

	Already at 12 Mar 93, Matthias Lindner
	<[email-masked]> reported a
	problem that I've got, too: ``I get an interactive clisp-buffer,
	but mode reamins :load forever.'' I mentioned at 19 Jan 1994
	that changing process-connection-type to t (in lisp-mod.el) has
	repaired it for me (at least for small examples, didn't try
	large ones due to the missing adaption of the rest), but for
	Steve Carney <[email-masked]> this did not work [22
	Feb 94].

The problem is that SYS:READ-FORM decides whether or not to print a
prompt based on whether there is input available.  ILISP, during its
initialization phase, slings a bunch of forms down the pipe before
checking for output.  If things are timed wrong, clisp will not print a
prompt after evaluating the first of these, and so ILISP will hang
forever waiting for the prompt to be printed.  My workaround was to dike
out the test for input in SYS:READ-FORM.  Better still would be to add a
-ilisp or some such command line flag to clisp to control this behavior
and other things (like turning off GNU readline.)

--David Gadbois