Subject: Registration Forms for LUV '94: Lisp Users and Vendors Conference

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 94 14:14:36 +0200

[Forwarded from Kent M. Pitman <[email-masked]>.
I take no responsibility for the contents.    B. Haible]

           The Association of Lisp Users invites you to attend
                                 LUV '94
                         The Fourth International
                    Lisp Users and Vendors Conference
                              to be held in
                           Berkeley, California
                                    on
                            August 15-19, 1994
              Please mark your calendar and plan to join us!

Whether you're a user or implementor of Common Lisp, Scheme, Dylan, or
EMACS Lisp--or just an interested party--this conference is for you.  It's
a chance to find out what's been going on and to influence what happens
next in the Lisp community.  You'll hear what users and vendors have been
up to, and what they're planning in the future.  You'll participate in the
interactive dialog between the users and vendors about the needs of the
Lisp community in the years ahead.  It's a valuable opportunity to do more
than just program in Lisp--it's a chance to be a part of the Lisp
community, to learn, and to contribute to a strong future.

The keynote address will be by Richard Stallman of the Free Software
Foundation.  Other interesting talks, panels, and paper presentations are
being arranged and will be announced later.

The conference will be held at the Berkeley Marina Marriott hotel.  We are
pleased to announce that this years sleeping room rate is $89.00
(single/double).  There is complimentary parking at the hotel.  Either the
Oakland or San Francisco airport may be used; Oakland is suggested for
domestic flights.  Information about special airfare and ground
transportation rates will be forthcoming.

Registration pricing remains unchanged from last year:  Monday and Tuesday
will be half-day tutorials at the rate of $125 per tutorial.  The main
conference (Wednesday through Friday) will be $400.  Very substantial
discounts are available for full-time students.

A registration form is attached below.

For further information, or to volunteer to help out, please contact:

Meetings Unlimited,        Kent Pitman,       Thomas Pole,   LUV '94 Committee
  Conference Organizers      Co-Chairman        Co-Chairman  [email-masked]
CompuServe 76470.3334     (617) 374-2516     (703) 902-7100
[email-masked]  [email-masked]  [email-masked]


==============================================================================

                            TUTORIAL SCHEDULE

1. Good Lisp Programming Style

    A survey of styles and techniques that make code less error prone
    and more maintainable, both at the individual function level and
    at the complete system level.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of programming concepts.

2. CLOS I

    An introduction to the Common Lisp Object System (CLOS), the 
    object-oriented extension to the proposed ANSI Common Lisp 
    standard.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of Common Lisp concepts.

3. Efficiency and Optimization in Lisp
    
    A survey of topics such as profiling, common algorithmic 
    optimizations, consing, declarations and type checking, 
    garbage collection, using C code, arrays and delivery
    considerations.  Some general guidelines will be portable, 
    others will be specific to the major commercial Common Lisp
    implementations.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of Common Lisp concepts.

4. Macros and Compiler Macros for Abstraction and Efficiency

   Common Lisp provides a number of syntactic mechanisms for making
   code more maintainable and efficient.  Learn when and how to use
   macros, compiler macros, reader macros, and inlined functions to
   improve your coding style and productivity.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of Common Lisp concepts.

5. CLIM I

    How to use the Common Lisp Interface Manager (CLIM) to build
    interfaces to appllication programs.  Use of application frames
    presentations, menus and dialogs, commands, command tables,
    interaction styles, and drawing graphics.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of Common Lisp and CLOS concepts.

6. CLOS II

    Complex initializations protocols, customized method combinations,
    and the various ``meta object'' protocols for CLOS, as well as a
    survey of existing implementational techniques and their consequences.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  CLOS I and/or a good understanding of CLOS and Lisp.



7. Advanced topics in Common Lisp

     The topics that most beginning courses never get around to:
     LOOP, FORMAT, conditions and restarts, UNWIND-PROTECT, 
     PRINT-OBJECT and MAKE-LOAD-FORM methods, the pretty printer, 
     and issues relating to implementation and storage representation
     that influence practical programs.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of Common Lisp concepts.

8. GNU EMACS Lisp Programming

     The EMACS extension language, EMACS Lisp, which allows users 
     to not only customize the popular EMACS editor, but also
     allows the development of active documents applications that
     interact with the user.

    Instructor:    Richard Stallman
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of programming concepts.

9.  Common Lisp and Databases (Relational and Object-Oriented)

     A survey of concepts, techniques, and tools for working with
     relational and object-oriented databases from within Common Lisp.
  
    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite: Basic knowledge of Common Lisp concepts.

10. Hybrid development environments:

     Getting Lisp, C, and other languages to work together.  
     For example, foreign function interfaces, datatype interchange, 
     external character encodings.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of Common Lisp concepts.

11. CLIM II

    Hardcopy, pointer tracking and manipulation, incremental redisplay,
    table and graph formatting, drawing in color, the drawing 
    environment, and doing transformations.

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  CLIM I and/or a good understanding of CLIM, CLOS 
                   and Lisp.

12. Comparing and Contrasting Common Lisp, Scheme, and Dylan

    An overview of these three languages, with emphasis on where they
    overlap and how they differ, for programmers who need to move back
    and forth between them.    
    
    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  Basic knowledge of programming concepts.


13. Advanced Vendor-Specific Tools and Techniques:

     Helpful hints for people who already use a certain vendor's Lisp
     regularly and want to improve their use of that vendor's tools and
     language extensions.

     Specify Vendor: ____________________

    Instructor:    To be determined.
    Prerequisite:  User of specified Common Lisp from specified vendor.

****************************** NOTES ******************************

  In items 1-13 above, a prerequisite is specified in order
  to guide potential attendees to courses at their level of 
  expertise.  In NO case is the prerequisite enforced.  It is 
  just a guideline to let you know at what level the instructor
  will be speaking in order to help you get the best value for
  your money.

  Tutorial are SUBJECT TO SCHEDULE CHANGE.

  Tutorials are SUBJECT TO CANCELLATION if there is insufficient enrollment.

-----8<----- Cut here -----8<----- Cut here -----8<----- Cut here -----

                  ***** LUV '94 REGISTRATION FORM *****
                          (version 3, 30-Mar-94)

                                                                 Confidential?

            Name  __________________________________________________ [  ]

          Company __________________________________________________ [  ]

[  ] Home Address
[  ] Work Address __________________________________________________ [  ]

             City __________________________________________________ [  ]

            State __________________________________________________ [  ]

  Zip/Postal Code ____________________ Country _____________________ [  ]

  [  ] Home Phone
  [  ] Work Phone __________________________________________________ [  ]
                    (please include country, area, or city codes)

           E-Mail __________________________________________________ [  ]

 PRIVACY DISCLAIMER:  If you take no special action, the information 
   provided might be published as some form of public record of the
   conference attendees.  If you check the "Confidential?" box in the
   right column of any line, the information on that line will be
   excluded from any published record of conference attendees.

 Registration Status:

   [  ] Full-time student or full-time academic.  (Please bring proof.)
   [  ] Others, Normal Registration.  Must be received BEFORE 8-Jul-94.
   [  ] Others, Late Registration.

                           - - - - - - - - - - 

  Please send these three pages of registration material 
  plus your check or money order to:

            Association of Lisp Users
             attn: LUV 94 Registration
            P.O. Box 294
            Malvern, PA 19355-0294
            U.S.A.

  Registration material sent by e-mail will NOT be accepted.

                           - - - - - - - - - -      (LUV'94 REG / PAGE 1 OF 3)

                          TUTORIAL REGISTRATION 

  Monday Morning, 4 hours, 8am-noon (choose one)

   [  ]  1. Good Lisp Programming Style
   [  ]  2. CLOS I
   [  ]  3. Efficiency and Optimization in Common Lisp

  Monday Afternoon, 4 hours, 1pm-5pm (choose one)  

   [  ]  4. Macros and Compiler Macros for Abstraction and Efficiency
   [  ]  5. CLIM I
   [  ]  6. CLOS II

  Tuesday Morning, 4 hours, 8am-noon (choose one)

   [  ]  7. Advanced Topics in Common Lisp
   [  ]  8. GNU EMACS Lisp Programming
   [  ]  9. Common Lisp and Databases (Relational and Object-Oriented)

  Tuesday Afternoon, 4 hours, 1pm-5pm (choose one)

   [  ] 10. Hybrid development environments:  Lisp, C, and others
   [  ] 11. CLIM II
   [  ] 12. Comparing and Contrasting Common Lisp, Scheme, and Dylan

  Tuesday EVENING, 3 hours, 8pm-11pm (choose one)

   [  ] 13. Advanced Vendor-Specific Tools and Techniques

            Specify vendor: ____________________

                           - - - - - - - - - -

  If some tutorial topic is not shown here that you would like to have
  chosen instead of or in addition to those above, please mention it 
  (and any suggested instructors) here.  Please also say whether you 
  want an introductory or advanced level course:

  If the above schedule is keeping you from enrolling in the tutorials
  you most want to attend, please explain the nature of the conflict here:

  Please specify any substitutions you would be willing to make if your 
  first choice tutorials do not receive enough interest:

  Tutorial times are subject to change, and tutorials themselves could be
  cancelled if there is insufficient enrollment.  If a need to make such
  changes would create a special hardship for you, please specify the nature
  of your need/concern:

                           - - - - - - - - - -      (LUV'94 REG / PAGE 2 OF 3)

                             CONFERENCE FEES

  TUTORIALS (Mon-Tue):

       $50 (per session) for full-time students or full-time academics.
      $125 (per session) for others--normal registration (BEFORE 8-Jul-94).
      $175 (per session) for others--late registration.

    ( price = $ _____ ) x ( number of sessions = _____ ) =       $ __________

  CONFERENCE (Wed-Fri):

     Includes exhibits, keynote address by Richard Stallman of the
     Free Software Foundation, technical paper presentations, and
     vendor presentations.

       $100 for full-time students or full-time academics.
       $400 for others--normal registration (BEFORE 8-Jul-94).
       $500 for others--late registration.

     This price is for all three days.  One-day fees are not available.

                                                                 $ __________
                                                              ===============

  TOTAL ENCLOSED . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ __________

    Please pay this part with check or money order made payable 
    (in US funds only) to "Association of Lisp Users".

                           - - - - - - - - - - 

                            HOTEL RESERVATIONS

     A limited number of rooms have been blocked at a special rate 
     of $89.00 single/double per night + 12% tax.

     Room Preference (check one):  [  ] single   [  ] double

      If double, specify roommate: _________________________

     Arrival Day and Date:   _______________________________

     Departure Day and Date: _______________________________

     Credit Card Information (to guarantee late arrival only):

       Card Type:  _______________  Expiration Date: _____ / _____

       Account Number: ___________________________________________

       Signature: ________________________________________________

      >>> Warning: NEVER send credit card information by e-mail <<<

                           - - - - - - - - - -      (LUV'94 REG / PAGE 3 OF 3)