Subject: ^M's in source files

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 08:51:33 -0800

From: Timothy Redmond <[email-masked]>
  I have found another related problem in that if you share lisp files
  created and used for CLISP under OS2 (and probably DOS) then the ^M's
  that DOS/OS2 editors place in the files causes trouble at the UNIX
  sites.
This seems not to be the fault of any editor - just different end-of-line
conventions by unix and DOS.  (In fact, I've used my editor to FIX that
problem.)
  I fix this by putting the line 
      (set-syntax-from-char (code-char 13) #\Space)	
  in the appropriate source file so that the UNIX machine does not get
  confused by the ^M's.
It turns out this is not a very good solution.  In particular, if your
source file contains any ; comments, the rest of the file then looks
like a comment (since it all appears to be part of the same line).
(I thought those files compiled mighty fast!)

---

From: Jeff Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 14:09:49 -0600 (CST)

> (I thought those files compiled mighty fast!)

A better solution, if your Unix system has it, is the dos2unix command 
which automatically strips the ^Ms.  The syntax is:

dos2unix <source> <target>

Jeff