Subject: Maintaining CLISP

From: [email-masked] (Marcus Daniels)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 94 18:43:30 PST

The good news is CLISP is a mature portable LISP.  More good news is that
the maintainer and co-author has larger challenges ahead of him.  Bigger
fish to fry (or maybe a nice nap).  The bad news is the same.  

I'm no LISP guru, that's for sure.  But I use CLISP for `real work' and 
would like to see it continue to evolve.  

I'll integrate your patches and try to keep CLISP running.  Send your
mail to the list or to me as appropriate.  I'm no Bruno, but that's life.  
You'll rarely if ever get enlightened by me, so it probably isn't worth
the effort asking (not that I mind). 

For now we are relying on Bruno's FTP server, and mailing list.  If anyone
has resources or skills to offer.  Please let me know!

Thanks.

Marcus Daniels

---

From: Joachim Schrod <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 11:57:19 +0100 (MEZ)

Marcus Daniels wrote:
> 
> I'll integrate your patches and try to keep CLISP running.

Thanks.

> For now we are relying on Bruno's FTP server

If there is need for another place, I can provide it on
ftp.th-darmstadt.de, one of the major ftp archives in Germany. CLISP
is there already (in pub/programming/languages/lisp/clisp/), it gets
mirrored currently.

Cheers,
	Joachim

PS: We will supply binaries for RS/6000 (AIX 3.2) and HP 9000s400
    (HP-UX 8) RSN.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Joachim Schrod			Email: [email-masked]
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany

---

From: Jeff Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 09:26:28 -0600 (CST)

> PS: We will supply binaries for RS/6000 (AIX 3.2) and HP 9000s400

Has anyone tried building binaries for the Mac?  Is it possible, or are 
there some mutual incompatibilities?

_____________________________________________________________________________

Jeff Bishop
Graduate Student
Department of Linguistics        
Northwestern University

---

From: [email-masked] (Marcus Daniels)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 02:11:57 PST

>> For now we are relying on Bruno's FTP server

Joachim> If there is need for another place, I can provide it on
Joachim> ftp.th-darmstadt.de, one of the major ftp archives in
Joachim> Germany. CLISP is there already (in
Joachim> pub/programming/languages/lisp/clisp/), it gets mirrored
Joachim> currently.

Good news!  Can I get back to you?  Bruno didn't
say anything to me about your message.. I'll check on his disk-space
needs, wishes, etc.

Joachim> PS: We will supply binaries for RS/6000 (AIX 3.2) and HP
Joachim> 9000s400 (HP-UX 8) RSN.

More Good news!  Two O.S.'s I don't have access to!

Thanks,
Marcus Daniels

---

From: [email-masked] (Marcus Daniels)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 03:25:56 PST

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Bishop <[email-masked]> writes:

Jeff> Has anyone tried building binaries for the Mac?  Is it possible,
Jeff> or are there some mutual incompatibilities?

I'd be inclined to follow the party line on this one.
Incompatibilities?  depends how you look at it :-).  CLISP GPL status
makes me feel like that isn't be something I should be considering.
This, and given the quality of MCL and XLISPSTAT for Macs, it's hard to
see a motivation for a port.  But I don't know the authors' opinion on
this matter -- if they were strong, naturally, I'd revise mine.

However, there is A/UX support already.  I'll help where I can on 
supporting that.  Mach-ten wouldn't be much work either.

Macintosh would be among the harder O.S.'s to port to.