Subject: Lisp and C

From: Rudloff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 94 14:22:04 +0100

Hi,

I'am a NeXT user and I would like to use a good lisp environment on  
NeXT (but my problem concerns all systems).

My aim (but I begin to think that it's a dream) is the following:

- To make an App with Project Builder
- To write some Lisp routines, to compile them, and get .o object  
files
- To link these compiled lisp routines (and the lisp kernel needed)  
with my App and to call them from a C function.

The problem is that CLisp just produce fasl files and not .o.
gcl produce .o file but I didn't reach to do what I wanted.

Did someone try such things?
Do exist a good lisp environment for NeXTStep?
Do someone use NeXTStep Interface with Lisp program?  How?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------
  David Rudloff      e-mail: [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------- 

  ERIC (Equipe de Recherche en Ingenierie des connaissanes)
  ENSAIS
  24 Bd de la Victoire 67084 STRASBOURG CEDEX

  Tel:88.14.47.53  Fax:88.24.14.90
--------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Emmanuel Charpentier)
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 09:18:26 +0200 (MET DST)

> gcl produce .o file but I didn't reach to do what I wanted.

akcl might be what you are looking for. Its compiler produces
C code which is handed to the cc compiler (gcc in my case). This
makes for a *slow* compiler, but gives *tight* and *fast* code.

Fair warning : akcl does not seems to be very alive, those days.
Furthermore, it is *not* in public domain : you'll have to request
a (free) license from some japanese university...

					E. Charpentier
-- 
Emmanuel Charpentier
[email-masked]

---

From: "Harvey J. Stein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 07:17:02 +0200

> a (free) license from some japanese university...

But gcl (gnu common lisp) is a derivative of akcl, is (more or less)
alive, and is gpled (doesn't require license).

Harvey J. Stein
Berger Financial Research
[email-masked]