Subject: clx/garnet: Client is not authorized to connect to server

From: [email-masked] (Pieter A. Olivier (I89))
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 10:10:45 +0100

I've spend the last few days trying to get clx going. Everything went 
smoothly until I ran the "hello-world" demo. which gave me a
"*** - Connection failure to X11.0 server  display 0: Client is
not authorized to connect to Server" error (presumably from the X Server ?).
I removed my ~/.Xauthority file and ripped the "xgenauth" entry from my
.xserverrc file which seemed to solve my problem. I then continued
to build garnet, wich worked fine, but ran terribly slow.
No problem I thought, I just run it on our fileserver, which has plenty
of memory and is pretty snappy. I ran "rxcmd", which sets up the 
DISPLAY variable, and tried garnet again. Guess what: the authorization
error reappeared !

Has anybody out there experienced the same kind of problems ?
Garnet looks great, so any help would be appreciated !

Pieter.

---

From: Joachim Schrod <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 11:25:13 +0100 (MEZ)

You wrote:
> 
> I've spend the last few days trying to get clx going. [...]
> I then continued
> of memory and is pretty snappy.

Sorry, I can't help with your .Xauthority problem; but you should know
that Garnet on an RS/6000 350 with 64 MB real memory (and lots of swap
space and no other user on it) is still terribly slow... :(

Does anybody use Garnet (and, in particular, Gilt and Lapidary) with
CLISP for real work? On which platform?

	Joachim

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Joachim Schrod			Email: [email-masked]
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany