Subject: Producing flow-charts (tree/graph)?

From: Phil Perucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 14:10:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

  Has anyone found any tools available on the 'net which make it easy
to draw flow-charts, especially of trees and graphs characteristic of
information/knowledge representation in Lisp programs?  I'm not looking
for a drawing tool (interactive) - I just want my output to be a little
easier to read than:

  (root
	(node A
		(node A.1)
		(node A.2))
	(node B
		(node B.1))
	(node C
		(node C.1)))

Any simple approach involving CLISP, Linux, X, postscript or Tex would be 
great, preferably with some sort of simple input language - for example 
taking above output and drawing the corresponding tree in postscript (or 
anything "graphical").

Here's hoping!!

==============================================================================
 Phil Perucci ......... [email-masked] ........ Systems Integrator 
 "Visit the Hydrologic Information Center at http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/~hic"
==============================================================================

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 15:33:28 GMT

>>>>> "Phil" == Phil Perucci <[email-masked]> writes:

Phil>   Has anyone found any tools available on the 'net which make it
Phil> easy to draw flow-charts, especially of trees and graphs
Phil> characteristic of information/knowledge representation in Lisp
Phil> programs?

In my "Prime Time Freeware for AI" CD catalog I see that the 
AI respository lists lang/lisp/code/tools/psgraph.  Might be useful.
The AI repository is ftp.cs.cmu.edu:/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository/ai.

One powerful tool (but not written in Lisp) is vcg.  It is available from
ftp.cs.uni-sb.de:/pub/graphics/vcg.  You'll need to format your data
for it, but that it easy enough to do.  I think the CS depeartment of the
University of Washington has some graphing stuff, you'll need to lurk
around a bit, I can't remember the exact path (ftp.cs.washington.edu).

There is a NEXTSTEP program called "Wood" that reads Lisp.  I think
source code is available.  Somewhere at ftp.cs.orst.edu:/pub/next.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 15:23:58 +0200

Hi,

I have written a tree-viewer for Clisp with stdwin.
I'll mail this to you in a couple of day, after I have written
some line of documentation.

I have in agenda to extend it to handle dags, and I will surely
do so in my copious free time  8-)

If others are interested, please mail me.

  Pierpaolo.
  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 13:19:25 +0100

Hello,

since I wrote in clisp-list about my tree-viewer, I have received at
least 20 requests for the program.  Since the program is not big, I'm
going to post it here.  If you are one of the millions of subscribers
not interested in the program, please bear with me.  I'd have to spend
at least an hour to reply to each person individually.  Thanks for
your comprehension.

Regards,  Pierpaolo Bernardi.

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 13:22:37 GMT

I built some new binaries for IRIX 5, Linux ELF, SunOS 413 (immutable)
Solaris 2.4.  These binaries have STDWIN built in -- so you
can run Pierpaolo's neat tree program.  :-)

http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp/binaries

Other than STDWIN, these binaries reflect the changes in the
current source snapshot:  http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp/clispsrc*.tar.z

User visible changes
--------------------

* X3J13 vote <72> is implemented: all standard Common Lisp data objects 
  other than symbols and lists are self-evaluating. 
  Thanks to Pierpaolo Bernardi. 

* SOCKET-STREAMS are implemented.  See impnotes for details.

* Loop macro modified to allow sequential, list/vector-computed "FOR" values.

Portability
-----------

* Runs on Windows NT.

Other modifications
-------------------

* Upgraded gettext support for locale name aliasing like with X Windows.