Subject: CLOS Learning Examples

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 95 16:03:20 +0100

[Forwarded from Ray Liere <[email-masked]>; there seem to be
mailing-list problems.]

I am in the process of learning CLOS ... and the concepts of object-oriented
programming in general. It would be helpful to have samples of "good CLOS
code" to learn from. Most books I have read so far use quite large examples.
I would find smaller examples helpful initially -- I am aware of the
CLOS code available at nervous.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/lispers/clos
(ref. lisp faq part 5).

Does anyone know of other resources that I might be able to obtain -- such
as code for the 8-queens problem, graph coloring, etc.?

Thanks.

Ray Liere
[email-masked]

---

From: Johann Petrak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 17:42:27 +0100

> as code for the 8-queens problem, graph coloring, etc.?

I have only recently learned CLOS myself, but I think that small programs
cannot demonstrate the benefits and the "style" of CLOS programming
properly. You have to have a need for objects and inheritance to 
use CLOS properly. With the 8-queens problem I don't see much of such
a need.

The book Sonya E. Keene, "Object-Oriented Programming in COMMON LISP"
(Addison-Wesley, 1989) has example code for very small problems and
only touches the very basic CLOS features. The 3d edition of 
P.H. Winston and B.K.P. Horn, "LISP" (Addison-Wesley, 1989) uses 
CLOS for some very small classic AI problems (blocks world etc.)

Just my ATS 0.02, though... comments welcome!

Johann Petrak                            Email: [email-masked]
Austrian Research Institute for          Phone:        +43-1-533-61-12
Artificial Intelligence                                +43-1-535-32-81/0
Schottengasse 3                          Fax:          +43-1-532-06-52
A-1010 Vienna, AUSTRIA                   Private Phone:+43-1-24-03-173
					 http://www.ai.univie.ac.at