Subject: fence matching with editor

From: "Edward G. Kovach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 16:03:47 -0500

Hi,

Is there a way of getting the editor.lsp which comes with clisp to 
"fence-match?"  (ie you type a right paranthesis and it goes to the 
matching left one.)  If not, is there a shareware editor which does 
this and if so, where can I get it?

Thanks!

Edward G. Kovach [email-masked]

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 21:07:40 GMT

>>>>> "EK" == Edward G Kovach <[email-masked]> writes:

EK> Is there a way of getting the editor.lsp which comes with clisp to
EK> "fence-match?"  (ie you type a right paranthesis and it goes to
EK> the matching left one.) 

By marking expressions and cut/delete I guess you could sort
of do that...no blinkey feature, though.

EK> If not, is there a shareware editor which does this and if so, 
EK> where can I get it?

I like GNU Emacs 19.29 -- prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/emacs-19.29.tar.gz
See http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp_and_emacs/clisp_and_emacs.html
for configuration information.  GNU Emacs even runs on MS-DOS.

About any popular editor will do parens matching.  

You might also look at some of the editors in ftp.rrz.uni-koeln.de:/editors.
I know at least jed, jove, microEmacs, and vi/elvis will do matching.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruno Haible)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 95 11:49:35 +0200

Marcus> I like GNU Emacs 19.29 -- prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/emacs-19.29.tar.gz
Marcus> See http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp_and_emacs/clisp_and_emacs.html
Marcus> for configuration information.  GNU Emacs even runs on MS-DOS.
Marcus> 
Marcus> About any popular editor will do parens matching.  

And if you run Unix + X11 and have a speedy machine with at least 16 MB RAM,
I can recommend XEmacs (also known as Lucid Emacs) together with the
following addition to the ~/.emacs file (trick from Joerg Hoehle):

(let ((hook (function (lambda ()
                        (setq mode-motion-hook 'mode-motion-highlight-sexp)))))
  (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook hook t)
  (add-hook 'lisp-interaction-mode-hook hook t)
  (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook hook t)
  (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook hook t)
  (add-hook 'talk-mode-hook hook t)
)

When you move the mouse cursor on an opening parenthesis, it highlights
the entire Lisp expression. Very nice for checking badly indented Lisp code.
(The drawback is that one gets lazy about indentation and parenthesizing
discipline.)

Bruno Haible                        email: <[email-masked]>
Software Engineer                   phone: +33-1-49083585