Subject: "frame binding environments"

From: Sahnny Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 17:38:34 -0500 (CDT)

I'm trying to load a file prepared and distributed to accompany the 
Russell and Norvig AI text.  I get the error message:  frame binding 
environments.  What does that mean, or what sort of problem would cause 
that error?

Second, how do I get back to top-level after a break?  (abort) doesn't 
seem to work (I'm working under NT here), nor does (help).  I can (exit), 
but then of course I'm starting over.  

Sahnny

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 20:01:25 GMT

>>>>> "sahnny" == Sahnny Johnson <[email-masked]> writes:

sahnny> I'm trying to load a file prepared and distributed to
sahnny> accompany the Russell and Norvig AI text.  I get the error
sahnny> message: frame binding environments.  What does that mean, or
sahnny> what sort of problem would cause that error?

Try increasing the amount of stack you have (with the -m option).
In your "clisp.bat" batch file add something like "-m 1000kw".

Something like:

lisp.exe -M lispinit.mem -m 1000kw 

sahnny> Second, how do I get back to top-level after a break?  (abort)
sahnny> doesn't seem to work (I'm working under NT here), nor does
sahnny> (help).  I can (exit), but then of course I'm starting over.

Control-z should work.  "abort" (no parens) should work also.

P.S. Are you using a DOS port or the win32 version?

---

From: David Laplander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 17:55:39 -0700 (MST)

Has anyone succeeded in building a recent version of clisp on the OS/2 Warp
platform? I spent all afternoon trying but to no avail. 

After considerable hacking of makefiles and manually compiling the readline
library and lisp.exe, the resulting executable died miserably with 
segmentation fault and dumped core. I'm using OS/2 Warp (fullpack version)
with emx09a and clisp-1995-06-23.

It's not really important that I compile clisp under OS/2 since my PC
spends most of its time running linux anyway. I just thought it'd be
neat to have a recent clisp available under both of my operating systems.

Anyway, is it my setup or just that the OS/2 side of clisp development has
been allowed to lapse due to lack of interest? 

Dave
__________________________________________________________________________
Dave Laplander at Northern Arizona University
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 1995 09:23:42 GMT

>>>>> "David" == David Laplander <[email-masked]> writes:

David> Has anyone succeeded in building a recent version of clisp on
David> the OS/2 Warp platform? I spent all afternoon trying but to no
David> avail.

I don't have a copy of OS/2 Warp, but today I did happen to need a
newer emx+dos version of CLISP.  For time/logistical reasons, it isn't
possible for me to do DOS or OS/2 hosted builds very often.  However,
as EMX is GCC I can at least link up binaries fairly easily (on Linux).
I did this for the EMX+OS/2 target.  Hope it helps.

http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp/binaries/lisp.run.os2

(for what it's worth, the EMX build for DOS went smoothly, and
the binary is working fine on DOS.  The OS/2 build also went 
smoothly, so...)