Subject: Newest CLISP under Linux

From: Oliver ANDRICH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 19:37:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello everybody,

has anybody compiled the latest CLISP-Version under Linux in aout format? 
Or does there only exist the ELF-Binaries? 

---
See ya on the darkside,        "Love is an act of blood and I am bleeding
				a pool in the shape of the heart."
Oliver.                           (Dreamtheater - Space-Dye West)
                                   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
email: [email-masked] 
       [email-masked]      (reachable only from .de)
http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~andrich       (My dark chamber ]|->)
Gothic: 13:490/2.33 / Fido: 2:2454/130.103 / Vnet: 46:9611/1102.103
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 15:26:00 GMT

>>>>> "Oliver" == Oliver ANDRICH <[email-masked]> writes:

Oliver> has anybody compiled the latest CLISP-Version under Linux in
Oliver> aout format?  Or does there only exist the ELF-Binaries?

I only built ELF binaries.  If someone has build a.out binaries,
send me email and I'll get them up on ma2s2.

---

From: Oliver ANDRICH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 22:10:15 +0200 (MET DST)

> send me email and I'll get them up on ma2s2.

Well, I tried it myself an hour ago, but I wasn't able to compile it on 
my Linux box, but I think I will do some problem hunting tonight.

---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 12:53:44 +0200

I just built it.

I encountered problems when trying to build it in the src directory.
It was ok to build it in another directory e.g. ./configure foo
(When I leaved home it was still 'make check'ing, but it seems
to work ok)

(For Marcus: I can send details if you need them to track the bug)

(for Marcus & Wilhelm: I modified the new version of clisp to 
 accept other things as constant, a la CLtL2. I'll send this to you
 after a little testing)

  Pierpaolo

---

From: Oliver ANDRICH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 15:06:58 +0200 (MET DST)

> (When I leaved home it was still 'make check'ing, but it seems

Ok, may be that was my problem. But I think you have to start the 
configure script within the src dir and not as mentioned in INSTALL or 
unix/INSTALL in the base distribution dir, haven`t you? I think that that 
has to be change in the INSTALL files, too. And btw, are you going load 
it up to the ftp-server?

---

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 17:50:20 GMT

>>>>> "Oliver" == Oliver ANDRICH <[email-masked]> writes:

Oliver> Ok, may be that was my problem. But I think you have to start
Oliver> the configure script within the src dir and not as mentioned
Oliver> in INSTALL or unix/INSTALL in the base distribution dir,
Oliver> haven`t you? I think that that has to be change in the INSTALL
Oliver> files, too. And btw, are you going load it up to the
Oliver> ftp-server?

The unix/INSTALL instructions should work.  Although I never do builds in
the src directory I guess that behavior could be useful for folks
without symlinks (are there such Unix machines anymore?!)

I fixed a potential problem that could cause the configure to
terminate prematurely.  It was specific to the new gettext support.
If you think that was the problem, you might grab new sources before
trying to debug it (http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp).  

Of course, any other specific information would be welcome, too.