Subject: stdwin

From: [email-masked] (Fabrice Popineau)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 11:27:13 -0400

Hi,

I can't manage to generate an image with stdwin. Should this work
straight away ? I had to hack the standard procedure by hand, and now
I got undefined symbols :

neuromancer.popineau> cd ../full+stdwin/
neuromancer.popineau> gcc -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -fomit-frame-pointer -O6 -m486 -DDYNAMIC_FFI -Iintl -DLOCALEDIR="/usr/local/share/locale" modules.o linux.o -lm regexp.o regexi.o regex.o wildcard.o fnmatch.o callqueens.o queens.o stdwin.o lisp.a libreadline.a libintl.a libnlsut.a libavcall.a libvacall.a libtrampoline.a -ltermcap -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -o lisp.run
stdwin.o: In function `C_stdwin_init':
stdwin.c(.text+0xa): undefined reference to `winit'
stdwin.c(.text+0xf): undefined reference to `alfa_wmenusetdeflocal'
stdwin.c(.text+0x15): undefined reference to `both_x11_alfa'
stdwin.c(.text+0x1d): undefined reference to `x11_wmenusetdeflocal'
stdwin.c(.text+0x6a): undefined reference to `alfa_wdone'
stdwin.c(.text+0x70): undefined reference to `both_x11_alfa'
stdwin.c(.text+0x78): undefined reference to `x11_wdone'
stdwin.c(.text+0x118): undefined reference to `winit'
stdwin.c(.text+0x11d): undefined reference to `alfa_wmenusetdeflocal'
stdwin.c(.text+0x123): undefined reference to `both_x11_alfa'
stdwin.c(.text+0x12b): undefined reference to `x11_wmenusetdeflocal'
...
and so on.

What am I doing wrong ? I generated the makefile with :
./makemake --with-newreadline --with-dynamic-ffi --with-module-stdwin

Thanks in advance for any help,

Fabrice POPINEAU
------------------------
#include <std/disclaim.h>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e-mail:     [email-masked]  surface-mail:  Ecole Superieure d'Electricite
 	                     	                 2 rue Edouard Belin
voice-mail: (+33) 87-74-99-38                    F-57078 Metz Cedex 3    
                                                 FRANCE                      
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruno Haible)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 12:50:33 +0200

Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]> writes:
> straight away ?

It should, yes, using either of the flags  --with-module-stdwin  and
--with-stdwin.

> neuromancer.popineau> gcc
    -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type
    -fomit-frame-pointer -O6 -m486
    -DDYNAMIC_FFI -Iintl -DLOCALEDIR="/usr/local/share/locale"
    modules.o linux.o -lm regexp.o regexi.o regex.o wildcard.o fnmatch.o
    callqueens.o queens.o stdwin.o lisp.a libreadline.a libintl.a libnlsut.a
    libavcall.a libvacall.a libtrampoline.a -ltermcap
    -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -o lisp.run
> ..

The "gcc ..." command line should contain libstdwin.a as well.

Bruno Haible                                     email: <[email-masked]>
Software Engineer                                phone: +33-1-49083585

---

From: [email-masked] (Fabrice Popineau)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 14:44:58 -0400

>>>>> "Bruno" == Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> writes:

    Bruno> Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> I can't manage to generate an image with stdwin. Should this
    >> work straight away ?

    Bruno> It should, yes, using either of the flags
    Bruno> --with-module-stdwin and --with-stdwin.

    Bruno> The "gcc ..." command line should contain libstdwin.a as
    Bruno> well.

Sorry, I didn't cut the right line. I put the -lstdwin, but with no
result. In fact, I can't compile the Appls from stdwin. I end up with
errors like :

ln -s lib_x11+alfa.a libstdwin.a
gcc -O6 -m486 -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/X11R6/include -IAppls/dpv -IH -c Appls/dpv/choose.c -o Appls/dpv/choose.o
gcc  Appls/dpv/choose.o  -L. -lstdwin -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -ltermcap  -o choose
Appls/dpv/choose.o: In function `parse':
choose.c(.text+0x22f): undefined reference to `x11_wcharwidth'
choose.c(.text+0x2a8): undefined reference to `x11_wcharwidth'
choose.c(.text+0x2c6): undefined reference to `x11_wlineheight'
choose.c(.text+0x316): undefined reference to `x11_wlineheight'
choose.c(.text+0x33c): undefined reference to `x11_wtextwidth'
choose.c(.text+0x393): undefined reference to `x11_wdrawline'
choose.c(.text+0x3df): undefined reference to `x11_wdrawline'
choose.c(.text+0x4cc): undefined reference to `x11_wcharwidth'
choose.c(.text+0x4e4): undefined reference to `x11_wdrawchar'
...

lib_x11+alfa.s contains lots of undefined symbols :

> nm lib_x11+alfa.a | egrep '^[ ]*U' 
         U x11_wbegindrawing
         U x11_wenddrawing
         U x11_winvert
         U x11_wlineheight
	 ...
         U _w_bgcolor
         U _w_fgcolor
         U _w_get_last_active
         U _w_ll_event
         U _wcreate1
         U _wd
	 ...
         U alfa_wbegindrawing
         U alfa_wchange
         U alfa_wcharwidth
         U alfa_wclose
	 ...

I don't think it is the right thing. I'm using Linux 1.3.20, gcc-2.7.0
and a completely ELF system.

Fabrice POPINEAU
------------------------