Subject: Compilation problem

From: "Ng, Wey-Han" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 23:43:11 - 050

I am running Linux at home on my PC and I am rather new to Linux and the 
Unix world. I have recently downloaded GNU Common Lisp and tried to 
compile it but I got the error message below. Since there is a line that 
say make of GCL completed, I presume that the Lisp itself is complete and 
my test run confirm that. But then the make did not stop at that point and 
went on to produce the error message. I believe what I have included here 
are the significant lines of the error message but I might be wrong. 
Please email me if additional information is require. If any one can make 
out what is causing this, I would appreciate your help. TIA

=============Error message below=================================
Make of GCL 2.1 completed.
 [...]
make gcltkaux "CC=`echo gcc -pipe -fwritable-strings  -DVOL=volatile -I/usr/local/gcl-2.1/o -fsigned-char | sed -e 's: -static : :g' -e 's:-Bstatic : :g`"
/bin/sh: unexpected EOF while looking for `''
/bin/sh: command substitution: line 2: syntax error
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.1/gcl-tk'
guis.o tkAppInit.o tkMain.o -o gcltkaux -L/usr/X11/lib -lX11 -L/usr/lib -ltcl  -L/usr/lib -ltk -lm  ../o/gcllib.a
make[2]: execvp: guis.o: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [gcltkaux] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.1/gcl-tk'
make[1]: *** [gcltkaux1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.1/gcl-tk'
make: *** [all] Error 2
----
Han.
----
Ng, Wey-Han                         Tel   : +(419)3523027
853 Napoleon Rd. Apt #7             email : [email-masked]
Bowling Green 43402 OH                      [email-masked]
USA

---

From: Johann Friedrich Heinrichmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 08:30:56 +0200

From: "Ng, Wey-Han" <[email-masked]>

    [...]

Hello Han,

first of all, You are on the wrong list! GCL is not clisp. Under Unix
You have the joy of choosing among several lisps, schemes, tcl, perl or
python as Your freeware high level interactive development language
.... :-).

there is a typo in make gcltkaux, the error message is true!
This should work (on the other side all of this seems very strange):

   make gcltkaux "CC=`echo gcc -pipe -fwritable-strings  -DVOL=volatile -I/usr/local/gcl-2.1/o -fsigned-char | sed -e 's: -static : :g' -e 's:-Bstatic : :g'`"

today i try to compile it myself ... wait.

-- 
Fritz Heinrichmeyer                             FernUniversitaet Hagen
FAX:   +49 2371/566236                          LG Elektronische Schaltungen
EMAIL: [email-masked]     Frauenstuhlweg 31
PHONE: +49 02371/566-243                        58644 Iserlohn (Germany)
WWW:  http://ES-sun2.fernuni-hagen.de