Subject: Re: Problem Compiling for OS/2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 95 20:59:24 -0500

Hello everybody,
I would like to start by a big THANK YOU to 
Bruno Haible and Michael Stoll for their work and their
willingness to share it with us.  Thanks! :-)

  Now to the problem.

I am trying to install clisp on OS/2 and when trying to compile the
config file I get the following:

  >(compile-file "config")

  Compiling file c:\clisp\config.lsp ...
  *** - READ from #<STRING_CHAR_FILE_STREAM #"C:\\clisp\\config.lsp">
  :illegal character #\Code26
  1.Break>

I am not sure what I should look at since it appears to be a 
problem with the compiler and after taking a look at it for a 
while I got lost.

      ************** FROM THE CLISP ARCHIVE, I QUOTE:

#\Code26 is usually called Ctrl-Z. Some editors append this to the end
of config.lsp. Either
 - choose an editor that doesn't append this obselete character to the end
   of the file,
or
 - tell the LISP reader to treat Ctrl-Z as whitespace:
        (set-syntax-from-char #\Code26 #\Space)
   (Suggestion by Johann Petrak, 18 Oct 1993 on this mailing list.)

        Chris Graham
        VisualAge Software Consulting