Subject: Future?

From: Phil Perucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 15:23:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

  I am just getting back into LISP after working with C/C++ on Micro$oft
platforms for a while.  Any comments on the following would *really* be
appreciated!

  o Do many AI researchers use CLISP?  That is, does LISP code made 
    available on the Internet generally work "as is" with CLISP?

  o Is there any place other than this list where people talk about CLISP?
    The comp.lang.lisp group seems rather dead (perhaps LISP is dying).

  o Is Linux a good CLISP platform (my first experience, although I am using
    SCO at the moment).

  o Where on the net is there substantial activity re: LISP.  Seems everyone
    is balancing their checkbook using Visual Basic on Windows95 these 
    days...

I am thinking seriously about turning my computer into a Linux server, and
getting a an old low-end clunker to run Windows95 and eXceed 4.

==============================================================================
 Phil Perucci ......... [email-masked] ........ Systems Integrator 
 "Visit the Hydrologic Information Center at http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/~hic"
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Shepherd)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:35:12 +1200 (NZST)

>     available on the Internet generally work "as is" with CLISP?

Actually we're not AI, but we're (we being me and my supervisor and
another student and, for that matter, my supervisor's 3rd, 4th, and
5th year classes) using it for a symbolic computation package and a
numerical package for the Finite Element Method.  It's quite popular
around here (University of Waikato, New Zealand) as a small, portable,
free (;-)) alternative to the likes of Allegro and Lucid.

>     The comp.lang.lisp group seems rather dead (perhaps LISP is dying).

Well it's not dying around here.....

>   o Is Linux a good CLISP platform (my first experience, although I am using

Linux is cool, and it run's CLISP very well, but wthen, what doesn't
(we also use it under SunOS, OSF and even a little under DOS

>     is balancing their checkbook using Visual Basic on Windows95 these 

dunno about that---I do it on paper.....

> I am thinking seriously about turning my computer into a Linux server, and

Cool, it's lots of fun, and very stable for some time now too....

8<--------------------------->8
Richard Shepherd. 
([email-masked])