Subject: Online documentation and describe

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 12:36:46 -0400

I've just started using clisp (and lisp in general), and I find clisp
to be an excellent implementation.  The only area that I think is
lacking is online documentation, which the docs say are none
existent. 

I was wondering if anyone has taken a look at gcl.  GCL-2.0 has an
info file for documentation, and (describe 'fun) looks up "fun" in the
info file and prints out the entry.

I've started to modify some of the lisp from gcl to work with clisp.
As a lisp novice, this is a pretty large task since some gcl specifics
are used.  

With some modifications for clisp, I think this would make a wonderful
addition for clisp.  Certainly, better than what describe does now.

Anyone interested in helping me?  I need a lot of lisp help, but I can
do some of the info file changes for clisp.

Ray

---

From: Pascal POIZAT - DEA Info <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 07:49:11 +0200 (MET DST)

> do some of the info file changes for clisp.
 
<sorry, Ray didn't put his E-Mail at the end of the document so I couldn't
reply to him directly.>

Hello, I don't you if you already know it, but just in case you don't here
is an HTML link where you can find "Common Lisp, The Language, 2nd Edition"
online: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/cltl/cltl2.html
<P>
Since this mail is an HTML document, you should be able after loading it
with some kind of Mosaic or Netscape to
<A HREF="http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/cltl/cltl2.html">
CLICK HERE
</A>
to go there directly.

I hope, it can help you making the info files you talked about.

Pascal

--
        |||
       oO oo
+---oOO-\_/-OOo----------------------+-----------------------------------------+
|Pascal Poizat, DEA Informatique     |A12oo, M-Tec/28                          |
|EMail: [email-masked]|                                         |
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 1995 13:13:13 -0400

>>>>> "Pascal" == Pascal POIZAT <- DEA Info <[email-masked]>> writes:

[location of cltl2 html deleted]

    Pascal> I hope, it can help you making the info files you talked about.

That was one of the first things I did.  I have to reference the book
all of the time because I just can't remember all of the parameters to
everything. :-)

Actually, making the info files is the easy part.  I was just going to
modify the gcl info files so that they reflected clisp instead of gcl.

The hard part (for me, that is) is getting gcl's info.lsp and
describe.lsp to work with clisp.  This is the area that I need help
in.

Also, is it the policy of the list to normally reply to the sender
instead of the whole list?  

Ray
======================================================================
-----> Raymond Toy                         Tel:  919-990-7480
       Ericsson Inc.                       Fax:  919-990-7451
       1 Triangle Drive                 E-mail:  [email-masked]
       RTP, NC 27709