Subject: question about structure equality

From: [email-masked] (Dan Stanger)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 14:16:18 -0600

i have a structure mdy (containing month day and year).
when i execute (equal (boa-mdy 1 1 1) (boa-mdy 1 1 1)) i get nil
but (equalp (boa-mdy 1 1 1) (boa-mdy 1 1 1)) returns t.
could someone explain this to me?
thanks,
dan stanger

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 17:46:59 GMT

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Stanger <[email-masked]> writes:

Dan> i have a structure mdy (containing month day and year).  when i
Dan> execute (equal (boa-mdy 1 1 1) (boa-mdy 1 1 1)) i get nil but
Dan> (equalp (boa-mdy 1 1 1) (boa-mdy 1 1 1)) returns t.  could
Dan> someone explain this to me? 

For a structure, EQUAL is only true when EQ is true --
but EQUALP does things component-wise.  This is documented in chapter 5
pages 60 and 63 of the draft ANSI standard.