Subject: Re: Type contagion

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 95 15:44:53 +0200

Raymond Toy <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have a simple question about type contagion on clisp.  According to
> impnotes.txt, type contagion is not implemented as specified by CLTL.
> I understand the reasons given, and they certainly make sense.
>
> Is there any way to get type contagion to work more like CLTL?

No.

> However, they also make double-float work more difficult because I
> have to be much more careful about mixing single-floats and
> double-floats together.

You would have to be careful when mixing single-floats and double-floats
anyway. With the CLtL contagion rules, however, you would not notice that
you have to be careful.

                    Bruno Haible
                    [email-masked]

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 1995 13:07:32 -0400

>>>>> "Bruno" == Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> Is there any way to get type contagion to work more like CLTL?

    Bruno> No.

Oh well.  I really ought to be more careful about type contagion
anyway.  This would might give me big performance gains if I used
cmulisp. 

Thanks for the info.

Ray