Subject: Getting CLX to go: help wanted

From: Simon Brooke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 17:21:33 +0100

Dear all

I'm in one of those situations where a little help from someone who's
done it goes a *long* way. I've just acquired clx, and I'm trying to
make it go. The compile went sweetly, with very minor warnings, and I
have changed nothing from the distribution. 

I'm running Linux 1.2.8 kernel on a 486dx4/100. There is no network
card, and things which try to go out on the net regularly complain
that the network is unreachable. However X clients generally work fine
with the DISPLAY environment variable set either to ':0.0' or
'localhost:0.0'.

CLISP gives me the following version information:

> XLIB:*version*
"MIT R5.0"
> (system::version)
(CLISP2 6 NIL 101293)
> (lisp-implementation-version)
"July 1994"
> (machine-version)
"I486"

My XServer is XF86_SVGA version 3.1.1 (I *think* -- I'm going by the
manual page on this...), which came as part of X11R6.

OK, so what goes wrong?

> (cd "demo/")
#"/home/simon/lisp/clx/demo/"
> (load "hello")
;; Loading file /home/simon/lisp/clx/demo/hello.lsp ...
;; Loading of file /home/simon/lisp/clx/demo/hello.lsp is finished.
T
> (xlib::hello-world "")

*** - Connection failure to X11.0 server  display 0: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
1. Break> unwind

> (xlib::hello-world "localhost")

*** - Connection failure to X11.0 server localhost display 0: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
1. Break> unwind

> (xlib::hello-world "caleddon")

*** - UNIX error 101 (ENETUNREACH): Network is unreachable

OK: that's the problem. Has anyone else had this? What's the fix? If I
need other versions or bits of software, please let me know where to
ftp them from.

Cheers

Simon

------- [email-masked] (Simon Brooke)
	If God does not write LisP, God writes some code so similar to
	LisP as to make no difference.

---

From: [email-masked] (Erann Gat)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:04:30 -0700

Try doing 'xhost +' before starting Lisp.

Erann Gat
[email-masked]