Subject: Is CLX still working?

From: "Brian F. Dennis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 19:53:24 -0500

Can anyone confirm that the CLX package as patched for CLISP still works?
I've tried it out on a number of architectures with the latest version of
CLISP and am encountering errors just opening the display.

								--Bri

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:09:28 GMT

>>>>> "Brian" == "Brian F Dennis" <[email-masked]> writes:

Brian> Can anyone confirm that the CLX package as patched for CLISP
Brian> still works?  I've tried it out on a number of architectures
Brian> with the latest version of CLISP and am encountering errors
Brian> just opening the display.

CLX (hello world) and Garnet seem to work okay with clisp-1995-12-08 on a
LinuxELF system and on a Irix 5.3 system.  Have you any more details?

---

From: "Brian F. Dennis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:14:14 -0500

>>>>> "Marcus" == Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]> writes:

    Brian> Can anyone confirm that the CLX package as patched for CLISP
    Brian> still works?  I've tried it out on a number of architectures
    Brian> with the latest version of CLISP and am encountering errors just
    Brian> opening the display.

    Marcus> CLX (hello world) and Garnet seem to work okay with
    Marcus> clisp-1995-12-08 on a LinuxELF system and on a Irix 5.3 system.
    Marcus> Have you any more details?

Hmmm, my LinuxELF doesn't seem to be working as well as Solaris2.4 and
HPUX. It's not actually having problems opening the display but in all
cases it eventually gets an "unknown event" error. 

I'm just using the demo hello.lsp from the clx distribution.

I used an older version of clisp (july 1994) to build clx and then ran the
demo program fine. If I had to guess it would be that the stream reading
and writing functions are the problem.

I'll do some more investigating.

									--Bri

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:48:42 GMT

>>>>> "Brian" == "Brian F Dennis" <[email-masked]> writes:

Brian> Hmmm, my LinuxELF doesn't seem to be working as well as
Brian> Solaris2.4 and HPUX. It's not actually having problems opening
Brian> the display but in all cases it eventually gets an "unknown
Brian> event" error.

I did change some code that could have caused a problem with LISTEN.
I've since changed the code; you can test the result if you like:

  http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp/binaries/x86_LinuxELF.tar.z

Unfortunately, I never saw the symptoms you describe.

---

From: "Brian F. Dennis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:40:22 -0500

>>>>> "Marcus" == Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]> writes:
    Marcus> I did change some code that could have caused a problem with
    Marcus> LISTEN.  I've since changed the code; you can test the result
    Marcus> if you like:

I tried it on my Linux box and this seemed to be the fix. Are the changes
going to show up in the source soon? I'm trying to work on a number of
architectures and this problem seems to affect all of them.

							--Bri

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 02:38:19 GMT

If you have a problem building CLX (you see "unknown event"
messages) I'd suggest grabbing a new binary from:

  http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp/binaries/

There are new binaries for sun4c/SunOS413, sun4M/Solaris2.4, 
mips/Irix5 and Linux (a.out and ELF).  If this fixes the problem,
or especially if the problem persists, please let me know.