Subject: New version of CLISP

From: haible (Bruno Haible)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 01:00:19 +0200

A new version of CLISP is at the usual place, in
ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de:/pub/lisp/clisp/source/.

Full source is in the files clispsrc-*.tar.z, context diffs since the last
release are in the file clispsrc-1995-04-04-to-1995-04-25.tar.z.

Change log since 4 April 1995:

25 April 1995
=============

User visible changes
--------------------

* Michael Stoll has written a graphical user interface for CLISP under
  NeXTstep.

* Added a foreign language module WILDCARD for wildcard matching.

* Added a foreign language module REGEXP for Unix-style regular expression
  matching and searching.

* X3J13 vote <94> is implemented: Calling GENSYM has no side effects except
  incrementing the counter. New variable *GENSYM-COUNTER*.

* New macro FORMATTER converts a FORMAT control string to a function.

* Some FORMAT fixes:
  + X3J13 vote <81> is implemented: The FORMAT ~:^ directive is more useful.
    Warning: Old style "~:^" directives need to be converted to "~#:^".
  + X3J13 vote <82> is implemented: The FORMAT ~D, ~B, ~O, ~X, ~R directives
    accept an optional comma-interval parameter.
  + X3J13 vote <84> is implemented: FORMAT ~C outputs characters with no bits
    as if by WRITE-CHAR.
  + Handling of ~^ within the FORMAT ~? directive.

* X3J13 vote <167> is implemented: New types FILE-STREAM, SYNONYM-STREAM,
  BROADCAST-STREAM, CONCATENATED-STREAM, TWO-WAY-STREAM, ECHO-STREAM,
  STRING-STREAM. New functions OPEN-STREAM-P, SYNONYM-STREAM-SYMBOL,
  BROADCAST-STREAM-STREAMS, CONCATENATED-STREAM-STREAMS,
  TWO-WAY-STREAM-INPUT-STREAM, TWO-WAY-STREAM-OUTPUT-STREAM,
  ECHO-STREAM-INPUT-STREAM, ECHO-STREAM-OUTPUT-STREAM.

* New condition type PRINT-NOT-READABLE.
  New function PRINT-NOT-READABLE-OBJECT.

* New function FINALIZE. (FINALIZE object function) has the effect that
  function will be called when object is being garbage collected.

* DRIBBLE now also redirects *ERROR-OUTPUT*, *TRACE-OUTPUT*, *QUERY-IO*,
  *DEBUG-IO* if they refer to *TERMINAL-IO*.

* Calling SYMBOL-VALUE on a symbol defined as global symbol macro now returns
  the value of the expansion. New function SYMBOL-MACRO-EXPAND.

* Add FFI to the *FEATURES* if the foreign language interface is present.

* Fixed a bug: An IGNORE declaration for a macro's &ENVIRONMENT argument now
  has an effect.

* Fixed a couple of bugs in the foreign language interface: Passing zero size
  arrays did not work, parameters with mode :OUT did not work on SPARC and
  HP-PA, and some error messages were deficient.

* Fixed a bogus error message in SET-DISPATCH-MACRO-CHARACTER.

Portability
-----------

* Fixed a couple of building problems relating to the foreign language
  interface (missing `mark_fp_invalid' and `pr_hex8', missing makefile
  dependencies, support for --with-dynamic-modules, warnings when compiling
  user2.lsp and foreign1.lsp).

* Fixed a building problem: Not all C compilers accept casts in constant
  expressions used as initializers, e.g. gcc-2.5.8.

* Foreign function interface: Fixed a couple of possible bugs in the low-level
  foreign function call routine for i386/486/586, m680x0, SPARC CPUs. Thanks
  to Jvrg Hvhle.

* Small fixes for SCO.

* Added a utility "hln" for making hard links. Needed for "make distrib";
  Solaris "ln" does not make a hard link if a symbolic link is involved.

* On some Unix systems, use "uname -m", not "arch", to determine
  (MACHINE-TYPE) and (MACHINE-VERSION).

* More support for BSDI 1.0, AIX, HP-UX, Solaris.

* Changed STDWIN so that it compiles under X11R6.

Other modifications
-------------------

* Speed up compiled calls to FORMAT with literal control string by use of
  FORMATTER.

* Miscellaneous documentation updates.

New binaries have been built for SCO (finally!) and Solaris.

                    Bruno Haible
                    [email-masked]

---

From: Bill Maki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:26:12 -0500 (CDT)

> release are in the file clispsrc-1995-04-04-to-1995-04-25.tar.z.

Is there any source of executable versions of clisp that have the 
latest changes?  I would like to get the i486 binary by anonymous ftp.
Thanks.

-----
  _______________________________ __________________________________
 |                               |                                  |
 | William S. Maki               | Professor of Psychology          |
 | Department of Psychology      | [email-masked] |
 | North Dakota State University | phone: 701-231-7053              |
 | Fargo, ND 58105-5075  USA     | fax:   701-231-8426              |
 |_______________________________|__________________________________|

---

From: Bill Maki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 11:05:26 -0500 (CDT)

> release are in the file clispsrc-1995-04-04-to-1995-04-25.tar.z.

I had inquired earlier about the availability of i486 binaries --
I neglected to mention that I am interested in the DOS version.

Is anyone routinely creating updated executable files for
i486/DOS PCs?  If so, are they available (e.g., by ftp)?

Thanks.

-----