Subject: Opening files like ".profile"

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 1995 09:04:50 -0400

While playing around with file I/O, I wanted to open a file starting
with a dot, like ".profile".  This is what happens:

> (open ".profile" :direction :input)

*** - no file name given: #"/home/unix/toy/.profile"
1. Break> 

Presumably this is due to the CL pathname stuff which I don't really
understand.  Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?

Ray

---

From: Marcus Daniels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 04:57:20 GMT

>>>>> "Raymond" == Raymond Toy <[email-masked]> writes:

Raymond> While playing around with file I/O, I wanted to open a file
Raymond> starting with a dot, like ".profile".  This is what happens:

Raymond> *** - no file name given: #"/home/unix/toy/.profile"
Raymond> 1. Break>

You can use:

  (open (make-pathname :name ".profile") :direction :input)

to keep CLISP from thinking that "profile" is a type, and not the
actual name.