Subject: Re: Problems using CLISP as CGI application

From: Roger Kehr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 16:51:00 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

some days ago I posted this to this mailing list:

 > 	Hello out there,
 > 
 > I've just tried to run a CLISP application as part of a larger web
 > application. The problem seems to be that CLISP doesn't even start the
 > code it is told to. I was able to reproduce this problem on two
 > different sites:
 ...

Later on I did some inspection on the source code and I finally
discovered, that a missing HOME environment variable (which is often
the case if CGI scripts are invoked from a Web server), made the (now)
homeless CLISP giving up with a UNIX error 9. 

According to Bruno, this will be fixed in the next release...

Cheers,
--Roger

-- 
======================================================================
Roger Kehr			   [email-masked]
Computer Science Department         Darmstadt University of Technology

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:11:46 +0100 (MET)

> homeless CLISP giving up with a UNIX error 9. 

It was the accumulation of all these which made CLISP give up when trying
to find a good value for (user-homedir-pathname):
  - Missing HOME environment variable.
  - Missing USER environment variable.
  - No login session associated with /dev/tty.

> According to Bruno, this will be fixed in the next release...

Yes. In the next release, in order to have CLISP give up on
(user-homedir-pathname), you'll additionally have to run it with an invalid
uid :-)

Sam's *print-circle*/structure/typechecking problem will be fixed as well.

                        Bruno