Subject: declarations

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Mar 1998 09:14:59 -0500

(defun file-newer (f0 f1)
  "Return T if the first arg is newer than the second.
Non-existent files are assumed to be VERY old."
  (flet ((fwd (ff) (or (ignore-errors (file-write-date ff)) 0)))
    (declare (ftype (function (t) integer) fwd))
    (> (fwd f0) (fwd f1))))

clisp is unhappy about the declaration (while cmucl and acl eat it quite
happily). Why?

ERROR in function file-newer :
Misplaced declaration: (declare (ftype (function (t) integer) fwd))

Thanks

--
Sam Steingold, running RedHat5 GNU/Linux (http://www.linux.org)
Micros**t is not the answer. Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
What garlic is to food, insanity is to art.

---

From: Francois GIRAULT <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:56:57 +0100

How can I use the socket interface ?
How send information via the socket ?

Please help me ;-)

-- 
François GIRAULT
mail : [email-masked]
DEA Intelligence Artificielle & Algorithmique       Université de Caen

---

From: Pierpaolo Bernardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:19:38 +0100 (MET)

> clisp is unhappy about the declaration (while cmucl and acl eat it quite

In which package you entered that code?

Remember, that LISP is the package meant to be compatible with CLtL1,
while CL is the package (trying to be) compatible with ANSI.

Maybe this is the cause?  (cannot check from here)

Pierpaolo

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1998 08:51:22 -0500

>>>> In a very interesting message <[email-masked]>
>>>> Sent on Mon, 23 Mar 1998 05:20:40 -0800 (PST)
>>>> Honorable Pierpaolo Bernardi <[email-masked]> writes
>>>> on the subject of "Re: declarations":

I do not use *any* package commands. All you see is done in clisp as it
starts after build.

-- 
Sam Steingold, running RedHat5 GNU/Linux (http://www.linux.org)
Micros**t is not the answer. Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
Who is Genral Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

---

From: Pierpaolo Bernardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:53:30 +0100 (MET)

> I do not use *any* package commands. All you see is done in clisp as it

So you are in Clisp's default package.  I don't remember which package
this is, as I always explicitly say to Clisp to start in package
CL-USER (with the option -p).

See the value of the var. *PACKAGE* to see in which package you are.

Or, if you would like to be automatically reminded in which package you are,
then set SYS::*PROMPT-WITH-PACKAGE* to T.

Pierpaolo

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:57:41 +0100 (MET)

> I do not use *any* package commands. All you see is done in clisp as it

CLISP has two different FLET symbols: The one in package LISP, which you
see in package USER, is CLtL1 compliant and does not allow declarations
at the beginning of the body. The one in package COMMON-LISP, which you
see in package COMMON-LISP-USER, is CLHS compliant and allows the
declaration.

Bruno

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1998 12:09:40 -0500

>>>> In a very interesting message <[email-masked]>
>>>> Sent on Mon, 23 Mar 1998 06:57:35 -0800 (PST)
>>>> Honorable Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> writes

Aha. Interesting.

1. As we strive for ANSI compliance (at least *I* with we were
striving...), shouldn't we start in package COMMON-LISP-USER?

2. If I start clisp -p CL-USER, I get
WARNING in function #:top-level-form-1-2 in lines 1..39 :
*warn-on-floating-point-contagion* is neither declared nor bound,
it will be treated as if it were declared SPECIAL.
WARNING in function #:top-level-form-1-2 in lines 1..39 :
*default-float-format* is neither declared nor bound,
it will be treated as if it were declared SPECIAL.

Oh well...

-- 
Sam Steingold, running RedHat5 GNU/Linux (http://www.linux.org)
Micros**t is not the answer. Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
The only thing worse than X Windows: (X Windows) - X