Subject: error in clisp-1997-12-0 on Linux (Red Hat 5.0)

From: Rick Taube <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:41:32 -0600

I get a fatal error starting up clisp (binary release) on RedHat 5.0 Linux.
The make produces some warnings:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[clisp-1997-12-06]# make
cc -O  base/lisp.a base/libintl.a base/libreadline.a base/libavcall.a
base/libvacall.a base/libtrampoline.a -lncurses -o base/lisp.run
base/lisp.a(lisp.o): In function `init_language':
lisp.o(.text+0x562b): the `getwd' function is dangerous and should not be used.
cc -O  base/wlisp.a base/libintl.a base/libreadline.a base/libavcall.a
base/libvacall.a base/libtrampoline.a -lncurses -o base/wlisp.run
base/wlisp.a(wlisp.o): In function `init_language':
wlisp.o(.text+0x6477): the `getwd' function is dangerous and should not be
used.
[clisp-1997-12-06]# ./base/lisp.run -M base/lispinit.mem
  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I I I I I I I      8         8           8     8        8    8
  I I I I I I I      8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8           8  8
   \  `-+-'  /       8     o   8           8     o     8  8
    `-__|__-'         ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8
        |
  ------+------     Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
                    Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997

*** - handle_fault error1 !
SIGSEGV cannot be cured. Fault address = 0x1.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 20:25:56 +0100 (MET)

> I get a fatal error starting up clisp (binary release) on RedHat 5.0 Linux.

RedHat 5.0 Linux ships with libc6, which is binary incompatible with
the libc5 against which I made the binary release.

Since this appears to become an FAQ, I've just made CLISP binaries on a
RedHat 5.0 Linux box. They are now in

   ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/i386-linux-libc6/clisp.tar.gz

and will soon appear in

   ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/i386-linux-libc6/clisp.tar.gz
   ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming/clisp-linux-libc6.tar.gz
   ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/lang/lisp/clisp-linux-libc6.tar.gz

Bruno

---

From: Will Lowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:20:33 -0500 (EST)

> RedHat 5.0 Linux box. They are now in

Does this mean you've compiled a set of bindings for linux-libc6?  I
started these a while ago,  was ordered by a professor to finish another
project,  and have spent the last several months trying to get it out the
door before the deadline.

                     					Will

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|             [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|           You think you're so smart,  but I've seen you naked          |
|                  and I'll prob'ly see you naked again ...              |
|                 --The Barenaked Ladies,  "Blame It On Me"              |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 22:37:01 +0100 (MET)

Will Lowe <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> Does this mean you've compiled a set of bindings for linux-libc6?
> I started these a while ago, ...

No, I left this out today, exactly because libc4/5 and libc6 are binary
incompatible. I only put in the modules wildcard, regexp and clx/new-clx.

If you want to finish a bindings/linux-libc6, I can assure you that
the need for it is increasing :-).

Bruno