Subject: Problem installing CLISP 1997-12-06 binaries under Linux (kernel 2.0.0)

From: [email-masked] (Paolo Amoroso)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 12:08:02 GMT

I tried to install the binary distribution of CLISP 1997-12-06 available
at:

ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/i386-linux-elf/clisp.tar.gz

on my Slackware Linux 3.1.0 system (kernel 2.0.0). Since I am interested in
the full version, I edited the fromdir macro in the Makefile as follows:

fromdir = full

When I run make as suggested in the README file as the first step of the
installation procedure, it stopped with the following error:

cc -O  full/modules.o full/clx.o -lXpm -lXext full/linux.o -lm
full/regexp.o full/regexi.o full/regex.o full/wildcard.o full/fnmatch.o
full/lisp.a full/libintl.a full/libreadline.a full/libavcall.a
full/libvacall.a full/libtrampoline.a -lncurses -o full/lisp.run
/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lXext: No such file or directory
make: *** [full/lisp.run] Error 1

On my system libXext is apparently called liblbxXext.a and lives in
/usr/X11/lib. So I changed the references in the lines for targets
full/lisp.run and full/wlisp.run from -lXext to -llbxXext. After restarting
make I got the following errors:

cc -O  full/modules.o full/clx.o -lXpm -llbxXext full/linux.o -lm
full/regexp.o 
full/regexi.o full/regex.o full/wildcard.o full/fnmatch.o full/lisp.a
full/libin
tl.a full/libreadline.a full/libavcall.a full/libvacall.a
full/libtrampoline.a -
lncurses -o full/lisp.run
full/clx.o: In function `get_font_info_and_display':
full/clx.o(.text+0xd95): undefined reference to `XQueryFont'
full/clx.o: In function `get_font':
full/clx.o(.text+0xf37): undefined reference to `XLoadFont'
...
[More messages about undefined references from clx.o]
...
/usr/i486-linux/lib/libXpm.a(CrPFrI.o): In function
`xpmCreatePixmapFromImage':
CrPFrI.o(.text+0x29): undefined reference to `XCreatePixmap'
CrPFrI.o(.text+0x3c): undefined reference to `XCreateGC'
CrPFrI.o(.text+0x61): undefined reference to `XPutImage'
CrPFrI.o(.text+0x6e): undefined reference to `XFreeGC'
/usr/i486-linux/lib/libXpm.a(create.o): In function `SetCloseColor':
create.o(.text+0x2bc): undefined reference to `XAllocColor'
create.o(.text+0x2cf): undefined reference to `XUngrabServer'
create.o(.text+0x37b): undefined reference to `XUngrabServer'
create.o(.text+0x3a9): undefined reference to `XAllocColor'
create.o(.text+0x3c3): undefined reference to `XGrabServer'
create.o(.text+0x3db): undefined reference to `XQueryColors'
...
[More messages about undefined references from create.o]
...
/usr/i486-linux/lib/libXpm.a(create.o): In function `CreateXImage':
create.o(.text+0x1147): undefined reference to `XCreateImage'
make: *** [full/lisp.run] Error 1

It seems that many of the referenced symbols refer to Xlib (typically
libX11.a) functions. I tried to include it in the Makefile, but I found no
trace on my system of a static version of Xlib: there is only the shared
version of the library. I also checked the Slackware CD.

Any comments or suggestions? Is the installation from a source distribution
likely to solve the problem?

Paolo
-- 
Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>