Subject: $ sign in path not recognized

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 02:50:24 EDT

I am using the DOS version of CLISP. When I try to load a file which is in a s
 bdirectory whose name contains the $ sign, it returns a syntax error:
 (load "c:\\dir$\\myfile")  --> SYNTAX ERROR

 Is this normal? I see that for other systems the $ sign is used to indicate th
  root directory, but for DOS it's a perfectly valid character in a path.
 Any ideas?
 Thanks, Leo

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:02:11 +0200 (MET DST)

Leo Sarasua <[email-masked]> writes:

>  I am using the DOS version of CLISP. When I try to load a file which is
>  in a subdirectory whose name contains the $ sign, it returns a syntax error:
>  Is this normal?

Yes, clisp assumes that DOS filenames contain only alphanumeric characters,
dashes and underscores. That may be a little over-restrictive, but it helps
discovering typos.

> I see that for other systems the $ sign is used to indicate th

On other systems $ introduces an environment variable, just like % on DOS.
What would you expect clisp to do if you try to create a file whose name
is "%PATH%" ? Expand the environment variable or not?

Bruno