Subject: Re: $ sign in path not recognized

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:04:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Leo Sarasua <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think it would be a good idea to allow in a pathname all
> characters which a given OS allows as normal names. So, for the DOS
> version, it should allow the $ sign but not the %.

Can you please give me the complete list of characters which should be
allowed in DOS file name parts?

  a...z A...Z            yes
  0...9                  yes
  - _                    yes
  : / \ .                these have special meaning for the pathname syntax
  %                      no, used for delimiting environment variables
  ;                      no, used for delimiting pathnames in pathname lists

What about #\Space and !"#$&'()*+,<=>?@[]^`{|}~ ?

Bruno

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:58:10 +0200 (MET DST)

The OS/2 version of clisp does not unduly restrict the characters in
pathnames. You could try running this OS/2 version instead of the DOS
version. (Yes, the OS/2 version runs on DOS as well.)

Bruno