Subject: kinds of clisp applications

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:48:11 +0200 (MET DST)

What is CLISP being used for? I'd be interested to hear from as many of
you as possible, what you are doing in CLISP. For example,

   - Erann Gat and his team uses/used it as 2nd choice for the NASA Millenium
     Space Flight. (The first choice being Harlequin CL.)

   - Paul Graham uses it for programming an uncommon kind of web server.

   - I recently used it for prototyping a graph layout algorithm. The
     Lisp prototype took a week, the C++ implementation then took a month.

   - I also use it for extracting the german/french messages from the CLISP
     source and putting them into a translation database.

How about you? Please reply to [email-masked].

Bruno

---

From: Rodrigo Ventura <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 11:21:48 GMT

>>>>> "Bruno" == Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> writes:

    Bruno> How about you? Please reply to [email-masked].

        Hum, what a sudden entusiasm for LISP. I don't know about you,
but I just loved that message from Paul Graham, forwarded it to almost
all my friends. Great! Great! Great!

        Since really long time ago I've been using CLISP. I started
using it in a Amiga A3000. Through time I've been tried another CL
implementations but anyway I always went back to CLISP. Currently I've
been using CLISP for my MSc. thesis work in AI. I've been gluing LISP
to neat GUI interfaces in Tcl/Tk using the naif but flexible with-wish
package.

        This recognition of the merits of CLISP by the author of two
greayt books about LISP, in an interesting applications,
positivelly-reinforced my choice of CLISP, even against friend LISP
programmers opinion. Afterall I was right in choosing CLISP...

        Best regards,

-- 
--

*** Rodrigo Martins de Matos Ventura, alias <Yoda>
***  [email-masked], http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~yoda
***   Instituto de Sistemas e Robotica, Polo de Lisboa
***    Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisboa, Portugal
***     PGP Public Key available on my homepage
*** Key fingerprint = 0C 0A 25 58 46 CF 14 99  CF 9C AF 9E 10 02 BB 2A

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Oct 1998 12:25:48 -0400

>>>> In message <[email-masked]>
>>>> On the subject of "kinds of clisp applications"
>>>> Sent on Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
>>>> Honorable Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> writes:
 >> 

I use it as a developing platform for futures trading systems.
(I do most of the actual computations using CMUCL, since it is about 8
times as fast as CLISP for my code, and even then an average task takes
hours to complete).

BTW, I posted an announcement of CLISP to freshmeat
(http://news.freshmeat.net). 

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.1 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
(http://www.linux.org) the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
Never let your schooling interfere with your education.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paolo Amoroso)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:41:07 GMT

> What is CLISP being used for? I'd be interested to hear from as many of
[...]
>      Space Flight. (The first choice being Harlequin CL.)

Is there any publicly available info about the Lisp part of this project
(i.e. I'm interested in software issues, not scientific goals or space
engineering issues)?

Paolo
-- 
Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Oct 1998 13:16:48 -0400

>>>> In message <[email-masked]>
>>>> On the subject of "Re: kinds of clisp applications"
>>>> Sent on Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
>>>> Honorable [email-masked] (Paolo Amoroso) writes:

http://ic-www.arc.nasa.gov/ic/projects/Autonomous-Systems.html

(might be relevant)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.1 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
(http://www.linux.org) the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
Do not worry about which side your bread is buttered on: you eat BOTH sides.

---

From: Rainer Joswig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:50:40 +0200

>http://ic-www.arc.nasa.gov/ic/projects/Autonomous-Systems.html

Click on home (http://ic.arc.nasa.gov/ic/index.html)
and see (bottom of page) that Peter Norvig is now working
there.

Rainer Joswig, Lavielle EDV Systemberatung GmbH & Co, Lotharstrasse 2b, D22041
Hamburg, Tel: +49 40 658088, Fax: +49 40 65808-202,
Email: [email-masked] , WWW: http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/

---

From: "Bruce L. Lambert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 15:19:27 -0500

I used CLISP to develop a document clustering program that extracts themes
from free text data.

See, e.g., 

ftp://ludwig.pharm.uic.edu/pub/ThemeMachine.pdf (an old tech report)

ftp://ludwig.pharm.uic.edu/pub/ndcca.pdf (a research project using the
Theme Machine)

ftp://ludwig.pharm.uic.edu/pub/rph-units.d50.t.1.clink.out (some sample
output)

I also used CLISP to develop an approximate string matching and phonetic
retrieval system. This system is used for finding approximate matches in
large lexicons of proper names. In my case, I use the system to evaluate
proposed new drug names as a means of preventing drug name confusion
errors. This system is being used on a trial basis by the U. S. Food and
Drug Administration and I am about to enter into a contract with the United
States Adopted Names Council  (USANC) to provide the same service. These
two agencies combined are responsible for approving the brand and generic
names of all new drugs in the United States. USANC has responsibility for
international nonproprietary names as well.

A paper describing aspects of this system is at 

ftp://ludwig.pharm.uic.edu/pub/MedErrors.pdf (Also published in the
American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, May 15, 1997).

Like Sam Steingold, I began my work using CLISP and eventually moved to
CMUCL. I recently 'moved up' to Allegro Common Lisp for my Tatung
Ultrasparc machine, but I will always be grateful to Bruno and the other
CLISP developers. CLISP is a very high quality implementation, and the
developers were always prepared to offer timely and very generous
assistance when questions arose.

Bravo Bruno and friends!

Bruce L. Lambert, PhD
Department of Pharmacy Administration (M/C 871)
University of Illinois at Chicago
833 S. Wood St.
Chicago, IL 60612-7231

---

From: Don Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:18:51 -0700

What is CLISP being used for? I'd be interested to hear from as many of
  you as possible, what you are doing in CLISP. 

AP5 is a lisp extension that serves as a higher level (than lisp) 
programming language - for details see
http://ap5.com/ and
http://www.isi.edu/software-sciences/relab/relab.html

Some years ago I ported ap5 to clisp (the history of ap5 goes from
about 1984 through interlisp, symbolics, lucid and franz), and I now
use both clisp and Franz (Allegro) to host AP5.  Currently I use ap5
mostly for work on software monitoring which is described at

http://www.compsvcs.com/somos.html
http://www.compsvcs.com/flea.html

Also, my wife has for several years used clisp for scheduling a rather
large chamber music conference.  The history of that program goes back
to 1977 (this time I'll go backwards in time) through IQLisp (which I
still use for that same music conferece), interlisp, CMULisp. 

(CMULisp is not CMUCL.  It was a branch from UCILisp which came from
Stanford lisp 1.6, which I think came from MIT.  But I digress...)

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:39:08 -0400

>>>>> "Bruno" == Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> writes:

    Bruno> What is CLISP being used for? I'd be interested to hear from as many of
    Bruno> you as possible, what you are doing in CLISP. For example,

A while ago, I wrote a program to search for primes and generate
authentication keys.  The search was distributed over several
machines, each one looking for one prime.  When enough primes were
found, the authentication keys were computed.  The "multi-processing"
was very crude:  wait until someone returned an answer.

Ray