Subject: with-wish package on Win32

From: Jason Karney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:29:58 -0400

Hi,

Has anybody gotten the with-wish package to work with CLISP and Win95/NT? I
haven't, and I am guessing that is because two-way communication (via CLISP's
run-program) occurs through pipes, which win32 lacks.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

--
Jason Karney    <-  Advanced Technology Scientist
NetGenics, Inc.             [[email-masked]]
[STOP] Okay, you were there yesterday, but
       Where do you want to go tomorrow?

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Oct 1998 10:18:03 -0400

>>>> In message <[email-masked]>
>>>> On the subject of "with-wish package on Win32"
>>>> Sent on Wed, 21 Oct 1998 06:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
>>>> Honorable Jason Karney <[email-masked]> writes:
 >> 
 >> Has anybody gotten the with-wish package to work with CLISP and
 >> Win95/NT? I haven't, and I am guessing that is because two-way
 >> communication (via CLISP's run-program) occurs through pipes, which
 >> win32 lacks.

There is that mythical problem: "a w32 program can either open windows
or have stdio".  Thus `wish' on w32 doesn't read its stdin, so you
cannot control it with `with-wish'.  The exact same problem is with
`gnuplot'.

Actually, a w3 program *can* have both GUI and stdio (NTEmacs does it),
it's just hard to do (thank to your friends from Redmond, WA).

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.1 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
(http://www.linux.org) the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
Bus error -- please leave by the rear door.

---

From: Peter Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:42:24 +0200

> Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I had the same problem. Now I use Tcl8.1 (8.0 doesn't work!) and exec
"|clisp" 
and communicate with it over fileevent.
For me it works great.

Peter