Subject: Re: communication via unix pipes

From: Joerg Hoehle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 07:05:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Alexander Vorobiev <[email-masked]> writes:
> Or maybe it is possible to avoid using /dev/fd/* files and to connect streams
> directly to open file descriptors? 

Mega hack below:

For some time, I'd been wondering if by setting CLISP's internal
stream object structure using some sys::... calls (like the compiler,
inspector or describe do read-only), an open stream could be setf'd to
a different fd...

Basically, you have platform dependent code (UNIX) and want to get one
of the extra open files connected to a regular CLISP stream.

   Jorg.

---

From: Alexander Vorobiev <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Apr 1999 15:23:35 +0400

Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, really. The spec for CORBA bindings is already there, thanks to
> Franz and Harlequin. See
>    ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/orbos/98-10-16.ps
>    ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/orbos/98-10-16.pdf

Thanks for the links, it will be interesting to compare the spec with
ILU lisp bindings

ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/2.0a14/manual-html/manual_8.html

> You have the choice between ILU and MICO.

ILU supports only Allegro CL but fortunately allegro-specific things
are isolated and there are some recommendations on how to implement
support for other lisps. It requires knowledge of some internals of
the lisp implementations though (for connecting lisp gc to ilu network
gc for example). I tried running demos (using ACL5/Linux Trial Edition)
and it looked very impressive.

AFAIK MICO supports only C++ (Java?)

There is another free orb - ORBit (this is what GNOME project is based 
on). It supports only C at present. Guile bindings are planned.

Alexander