Subject: Probles while building clisp-1999-01-08.tar.gz under FreeBSD 4.0

From: Bjorn Remseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 17:07:10 +0200

The command 

   ./configure --prefix=/tmp/tmplocal 

crashes giving the error message

  ./tests > tests.out
  uniq -u < tests.out > tests.output.i386-unknown-freebsd4.0
  test '!' -s tests.output.i386-unknown-freebsd4.0
  *** Error code 1

(the full build  - log is attached to this message).  

The FreeBSD version is FreeBSD 4.0-19990504-CURRENT (not quite bleeding
edge, but pretty close ;) Does anyone have a clue about what is going on?
					
							(Rmz)

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 19:43:31 +0200 (MET DST)

>   test '!' -s tests.output.i386-unknown-freebsd4.0

This is an error in a subordinate "make", executed in a subshell, and means
only that the FFI will not be included. (ffcall needs to be updated for
FreeBSD-gcc's calling convention.) Normally, `configure' would print the
following lines:

  To continue building CLISP, the following commands are recommended
  (cf. unix/INSTALL step 4):
      cd /tmp/tmplocal
      ./makemake --with-readline --with-gettext > Makefile
      make
      make check

If `configure' does not print that, it's because of a /bin/sh bug.
If you execute

      CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
      export CONFIG_SHELL
      $CONFIG_SHELL configure --prefix=/tmp/tmplocal

you will not have this problem. (At least that's the experience I made
on MacOS X Server.) It would be good if someone tracked this down and
submitted a bug report to the FreeBSD /bin/sh maintainer.

Bruno