Subject: Re: Clisp under Windows 98

From: "Valentino Kyriakides" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:17:14 +0200

Jim Arvo wrote:

>I just installed clisp on my Windows NT machine and it seems
>to work just fine.  However, the only way I can invoke it is
>in a DOS shell with
>
>    lisp.exe -M lispinit.mem
>
>Is there a way to launch the application directly from Windows?
>I suppose this is really a Windows question.
>

There are some free Unix world editors available for NT, which can be used
as an IDE for clisp. IMHO, a good choice are always actual versions of Gnu
Emacs or Xemacs for NT which (beside Lisp and Scheme support) offer almost
everything you can imagine. However, these editors are really huge and might
seem at first somehow complex and oversized, but after some period of usage
you won't miss their flexibility anymore. You can find more informations
about these editors under
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html and
http://www.xemacs.org/ . Xemacs for NT includes the ILISP package, which can
be used as a comfortable IDE for clisp, but ILISP is also available
seperately and can also be used for Gnu Emacs. Both editors beside ILISP
further support by default an "inferior lisp mode", which of course also
works very well with clisp.

I've used clisp with Gnu Emacs and Xemacs under NT without any problems!

There are also a lot of smaller commercial and free available Emacs like
editor clones, which might also support some variation of lisp modes and the
communication to started clisp processes etc. (?). But I don't know enough
about those editors, maybe some other kind person of this mailinglist can
tell you more about these.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Valentino