Subject: Re: trouble with tilde-expansion in 1999-07-22?

From: Russell Senior <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Aug 1999 11:56:57 -0700

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <[email-masked]> writes:

Russell> Hmm.  Looks like a problem with tilde-expansion.

Just getting back to looking at this.  The problem appears to be
limited to subdirectories of HOME.  Observe:

   [1]> (open "~/test.lsp")
   #<BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER #P"/home/russell/test.lsp" @1>
   [2]> (open "~/lisp/test.lsp")
   
   *** - nonexistent directory: #P"/lisp/"

Both files exist.  Anyone have a clue as to what is going wrong here?

-- 
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.        
[email-masked]     Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible       
                         profanity, which, translated meant, `This is
                         extremely unusual.' ''

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:10:00 +0200 (MET DST)

> Both files exist.  Anyone have a clue as to what is going wrong here?

Thanks for providing these two cases. Now that you say it, I see the bug
came in at pathname.d, line 2126, because we changed the semantics of
`nreconc' in such a way that

        (last x)

is not EQ to

        (nreconc x nil)

any more.

No workaround available. You have to use things like
(merge-pathnames "lisp/test.lsp" (user-homedir-pathname))

Bruno