Subject: [clisp-announce] GNU CLISP 2.26 release

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 2001 11:47:40 -0400

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
that has been posted to comp.lang.lisp,comp.os.linux.announce as well.

GNU CLISP 2.26 was released on 2001-05-23.

Common Lisp is a high-level, general-purpose programming language.
GNU CLISP is a Common Lisp implementation by Bruno Haible of Karlsruhe
University and Michael Stoll of Munich University, both in Germany.
It mostly supports the Lisp described in the ANSI Common Lisp standard.
It runs on microcomputers (OS/2, Windows NT/2000, Windows 95/98, Amiga
500-4000, Acorn RISC PC) as well as on Unix workstations (Linux, SVR4,
Sun4, DEC Alpha OSF, HP-UX, BeOS, NeXTstep, SGI, AIX, Sun3 and others)
and needs only 2 MB of RAM.
It is free software and may be distributed under the terms of GNU GPL,
while it is possible to distribute commercial applications compiled
with GNU CLISP.
The user interface comes in German, English, French, Spanish and Dutch.
GNU CLISP includes an interpreter, a compiler, a large subset of CLOS,
a foreign language interface and a socket interface.
An X11 interface is available through CLX and Garnet.

More information at <http://clisp.cons.org/>.
Sources and selected binaries are available by anonymous ftp from
<ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/>.

Important notes
---------------

* The CLISP extensions have been moved from the CLtL1 package LISP to
  separate packages.
  If you reply on any of the CLISP extensions, you will need to make
  your packages use package EXT, which re-exports all exported symbols
  from all extension packages.

* All .fas files generated by previous CLISP versions
  are invalid and must be recompiled.

User visible changes
--------------------

* "LISP" is now a nickname of the ANSI CL package COMMON-LISP.
  "USER" is now a nickname of the ANSI CL package COMMON-LISP-USER.
  Support for CLtL1 has thus been removed.
  For the benefit of package developers, *FEATURES* now contains :LISP=CL.

* The *FEATURES* list now contains :ANSI-CL instead of :CLTL2 even when
  running without '-ansi' ANSI compatibility mode.

* ANSI CL compliance: function UPGRADED-COMPLEX-PART-TYPE implemented.

* ANSI CL compliance: macro HANDLER-BIND invokes all handlers
  for the condition, not just the first one.

* ANSI CL compliance: CHAR does not check for FILL-POINTER, while ELT does.

* ANSI CL compliance: FUNCTION-KEYWORDS returns 2 values.

* ANSI CL compliance: COMPILED-FUNCTION is a subtype of FUNCTION.

* ANSI CL compliance: implemented compiler macros.

* Conforming to the ANSI CL issue CONSTANTP-ENVIRONMENT:ADD-ARG,
  CONSTANTP now takes an optional second argument.

* RUN-SHELL-COMMAND and RUN-PROGRAM now accept a :WAIT argument.

* The compiler now checks the signature of function calls
  for all functions, not just the inlined built-ins.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)