Subject: [clisp-announce] CLISP 2.35 (2005-08-29) released

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Aug 29 13:46:18 2005

ANSI Common Lisp is a high-level, general-purpose programming language.
GNU CLISP is a Common Lisp implementation by Bruno Haible of Karlsruhe
University and Michael Stoll of Munich University, both in Germany.
It mostly supports the Lisp described in the ANSI Common Lisp standard.
It runs on most Unix workstations (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, BeOS, NeXTstep, IRIX, AIX and others) and on
other systems (Windows NT/2000/XP, Windows 95/98/ME) and needs only
4 MB of RAM.
It is Free Software and may be distributed under the terms of GNU GPL,
while it is possible to distribute commercial proprietary applications
compiled with GNU CLISP.
The user interface comes in English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch,
Russian and Danish, and can be changed at run time.
GNU CLISP includes an interpreter, a compiler, a debugger, CLOS, MOP,
a foreign language interface, sockets, i18n, fast bignums and more.
An X11 interface is available through CLX, Garnet, CLUE/CLIO.
GNU CLISP runs Maxima, ACL2 and many other Common Lisp packages.

More information at
  <http://clisp.cons.org/>,
  <http://www.clisp.org/>,
  <http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/> and
  <http://clisp.sourceforge.net/>.
Sources and selected binaries are available by anonymous ftp from
  <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/clisp/>
and its mirrors.

2.35 (2005-08-29)
=================

User visible changes
--------------------

* SOCKET:SOCKET-STREAM-SHUTDOWN does not call CLOSE anymore,
  just shutdown(2) - as it has always been documented.
  It now also works on raw sockets, thus RAWSOCK:SHUTDOWN has been removed.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#sost-shut> and
  <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#rawsock> for details.

* When the command line option -E receives an invalid encoding,
  ISO-8859-1 is used instead. [It was ASCII (for *FOREIGN-ENCODING*) or
  UTF-8 (for all other encodings) before.]
  Rationale: this is a 1:1 that corresponds to CLISP CODE-CHAR/CHAR-CODE
  and avoids spurious errors in DIRECTORY on startup.

* New function EXT:COMPILED-FILE-P - checks whether the file is a
  CLISP-compiled file with a compatible bytecode format.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#compiled-file-p> for details.

* New functions EXT:CHAR-INVERTCASE, EXT:STRING-INVERTCASE and
  EXT:NSTRING-INVERTCASE invert case of characters and strings.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#char-invertcase> and
  <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#string-invertcase> for details.

* New function POSIX:STREAM-OPTIONS calls fcntl(2).
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#fcntl> for details.

* Explicitly close all possible file descriptors before exec().

* Danish translations of the user interface messages have been added.
  Thanks to Dennis Decker Jensen <[email-masked]>.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.memri.org/> <http://pmw.org.il/> <http://www.dhimmi.com/>
<http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/>
Old Age Comes at a Bad Time.