Subject: [clisp-announce] GNU CLISP 2.36

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Dec 4 17:31:15 2005

ANSI Common Lisp is a high-level, general-purpose programming language.
GNU CLISP is a Common Lisp implementation by Bruno Haible of Karlsruhe
University and Michael Stoll of Munich University, both in Germany.
It mostly supports the Lisp described in the ANSI Common Lisp standard.
It runs on most Unix workstations (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, BeOS, NeXTstep, IRIX, AIX and others) and on
other systems (Windows NT/2000/XP, Windows 95/98/ME) and needs only
4 MB of RAM.
It is Free Software and may be distributed under the terms of GNU GPL,
while it is possible to distribute commercial proprietary applications
compiled with GNU CLISP.
The user interface comes in English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch,
Russian and Danish, and can be changed at run time.
GNU CLISP includes an interpreter, a compiler, a debugger, CLOS, MOP,
a foreign language interface, sockets, i18n, fast bignums and more.
An X11 interface is available through CLX, Garnet, CLUE/CLIO.
GNU CLISP runs Maxima, ACL2 and many other Common Lisp packages.

More information at
  <http://clisp.cons.org/>,
  <http://www.clisp.org/>,
  <http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/> and
  <http://clisp.sourceforge.net/>.
Sources and selected binaries are available by anonymous ftp from
  <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/clisp/>
and its mirrors.

2.36 (2005-12-04)
=================

User visible changes
--------------------

* Infrastructure:
  + Top-level configure now accepts the option --enable-maintainer-mode
    that affects autoconf-related Makefile targets.  The default value
    is determined based on the presence of the CVS directories.
  + When libsigsegv is not found, print instructions on getting/building
    libsigsegv and bail out; override with --ignore-absence-of-libsigsegv.
  + When --with-dynamic-ffi is supplied, but the FFI fails to build, abort.
  + When --with-readline is supplied, but GNU readline is not found, abort.
  + makemake no longer checks with_module_* variables.

* New function EXT:OPEN-HTTP and macro EXT:WITH-HTTP-INPUT.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/macros3.html#open-http> for details.

* New declaration EXT:NOTSPECIAL undoes the effects of DEFVAR and DEFCONSTANT.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/declarations.html#notspec-decl>
  for details.

* Function EXT:CLHS is now deprecated in favor of DESCRIBE, which can now
  point your web browser to the ANSI CL and CLISP-specific documentation.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/environment-dict.html#describe>
  for details.

* FFI modules can now take advantage of autoconf feature detection.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/dffi.html#ffi-guard> for details.

* New FFI macro FFI:DEF-C-CONST.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/dffi.html#def-c-const> for details.

* New charset BASE64 encodes arbitrary byte sequences with strings of
  printable ASCII characters (4 characters per 3 bytes).
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/encoding.html#base64> for details.

* New module readline offers some advanced readline and history features.
  It is a BASE module and is available when both FFI and readline are present.

* SOCKET:SOCKET-SERVICE-PORT is now deprecated in favor of OS:SERVICE.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/syscalls.html#service> for details.

* New SETF-able functions POSIX:GETUID, POSIX:GETGID, POSIX:GETEUID,
  POSIX:GETEGID.
  New functions POSIX:GROUP-INFO and POSIX:STRING-TIME.
  Function POSIX:USER-DATA is renamed to POSIX:USER-INFO.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/syscalls.html> for details.

* New NEW-CLX demo: foch.lisp draws fractal snowflakes.
  Implemented XLIB:SET-MODIFIER-MAPPING, XLIB:KEYSYM->KEYCODES,
  XLIB:ACCESS-HOSTS, XLIB:ADD-ACCESS-HOST, XLIB:REMOVE-ACCESS-HOST,
  XLIB:CHANGE-KEYBOARD-CONTROL, XLIB:CHANGE-KEYBOARD-MAPPING,
  XLIB:KEYBOARD-MAPPING, XLIB:KEYSYM-NAME, XLIB:KEYCODE->CHARACTER,
  XLIB:SHAPE-EXTENTS, XLIB:SHAPE-RECTANGLES, XLIB:DEFAULT-KEYSYM-INDEX.
  Use MAP instead of ELT for sequence access in NEW-CLX.

* ANSI CL compliance issues:
  + DEFPACKAGE options :SHADOWING-IMPORT-FROM, :USE, :IMPORT-FROM
    accept package designators, not just package names.

* The command line option -v now affects *LOAD-ECHO* also.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/clisp.html#opt-v> for details.

* When a CLISP process is killed, clean-up is always executed.

* DEFCLASS now permits user-defined :ALLOCATION arguments.

* Fixed (FUNCTION-LAMBDA-EXPRESSION #'(SETF FOO)) on compiled functions.

* Fixed re-exporting symbols from POSIX to EXT.

* Fixed module rawsock on platforms with non-trivial struct sockaddr layout.
  Functions that take a BUFFER argument, also take :START and :END arguments.
  Renamed RAWSOCK:LISTEN to RAWSOCK:SOCK-LISTEN to avoid a conflict with CL.
  New functions RAWSOCK:PROTOCOL, RAWSOCK:NETWORK, RAWSOCK:GETADDRINFO,
  RAWSOCK:GETNAMEINFO.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/rawsock.html> for details.

* Fixed module postgresql logging behavior.

* Fixed clisp.h generation to conform to the internal definitions.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
http://www.palestinefacts.org/ http://ffii.org/ http://www.iris.org.il
http://www.jihadwatch.org/ http://www.dhimmi.com/ http://www.memri.org/
(let ((a "(let ((a %c%s%c)) (format a 34 a 34))")) (format a 34 a 34))