Subject: [clisp-announce] GNU CLISP 2.33 (2004-03-17)

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 18 15:26:07 2004

Common Lisp is a high-level, general-purpose programming language.
GNU CLISP is a Common Lisp implementation by Bruno Haible of Karlsruhe
University and Michael Stoll of Munich University, both in Germany.
It mostly supports the Lisp described in the ANSI Common Lisp standard.
It runs on microcomputers (Windows NT/2000/XP, Windows 95/98/ME) as well
as on Unix workstations (Linux, SVR4, Sun4, DEC Alpha OSF, HP-UX, BeOS,
NeXTstep, SGI, AIX and others) and needs only 2 MB of RAM.
It is Free Software and may be distributed under the terms of GNU GPL,
while it is possible to distribute commercial applications compiled
with GNU CLISP.
The user interface comes in German, English, French, Spanish, Dutch
and Russian.
GNU CLISP includes an interpreter, a compiler, a debugger, CLOS,
a foreign language interface, sockets, i18n, fast bignums and more.
An X11 interface is available through CLX, Garnet, CLUE/CLIO.
GNU CLISP runs Maxima, ACL2 and many other Common Lisp packages.

More information at
  <http://clisp.cons.org/>,
  <http://www.clisp.org/>,
  <http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/> and
  <http://clisp.sourceforge.net/>.
Sources and selected binaries are available by anonymous ftp from
  <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/clisp/>
and its mirrors.

2.33 (2004-03-17)
=================

Important notes
---------------

* All .fas files generated by previous CLISP versions are invalid and
  must be recompiled.  Use CUSTOM:*LOAD-OBSOLETE-ACTION* to automate this.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#loadfile> for details.

User visible changes
--------------------

* NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD, NO-PRIMARY-METHOD and NO-NEXT-METHOD now signal
  METHOD-CALL-ERROR or METHOD-CALL-TYPE-ERROR.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#meth-call-err> for details.

* New user variables CUSTOM:*APROPOS-MATCHER* and CUSTOM::*APROPOS-DO-MORE*
  make APROPOS more flexible in search and output.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#apropos> for details.

* New function EXT:MOD-EXPT efficiently computes the composition of MOD
  and EXPT on integers.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#int-func-ext> for details.

* New function EXT:ARGV returns the command line arguments passed to runtime.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#argv> for details.

* New generic function GRAY:STREAM-POSITION extends FILE-POSITION to
  Gray streams; FILE-POSITION now works with streams other than FILE-STREAMs.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#gray> for details.

* DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION and friends are now implemented.
  Thanks to James Anderson <[email-masked]>.
  This change obsoleted all compiled file.

Portability
-----------

* Improved portability for nearly all platforms: Linux, MacOS X, Solaris,
  Tru64, HP-UX, AIX, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BeOS.

* Removed Acorn RISCOS support.

* Removed AmigaOS support.

* Removed support for MSDOS and OS/2, using EMX.

* Removed support for Borland C compiler on Win32.

* Added FFI support for x86_64 (AMD64) Linux and PowerPC MacOS X.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for a lifetime.