Subject: [clisp-list] read-line strips trailing spaces

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 5 07:00:08 2002

GNU CLISP 2.27 (released 2001-07-17) (built 3205317348) (memory 3205318651)
On GNU/Linux

read-line strips off spaces, so "foo " becomes "foo".

Regards,
Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 5 10:51:14 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] read-line strips trailing spaces"
> * Sent on Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:45:28 +0100
> * Honorable Peter Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
>

yes - why do you think this is a problem?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Flying is not dangerous; crashing is.

---

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 5 11:26:20 2002

> yes - why do you think this is a problem?

According to the hyperspec, read-line "reads from input-stream a line
of text that is terminated by a newline or eof".  So that's what it
should do.

Neither Allegro 6.1 (trial), nor LispWorks 4.2 (Personal Edition)
strip off the spaces.  That is, both of them make "foo " be "foo " not
"foo".  I think clisp is wrong here.

Regards,
Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Feb 11 08:51:06 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] read-line strips trailing spaces"
> * Sent on Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:12:29 +0100

it did do this only on terminal streams under readline.
I just fixed this in the CVS.
thanks for reporting the bug.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
In every non-trivial program there is at least one bug.