Subject: [clisp-list] screen package

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Wed Apr 30 15:30:05 2003

In the past I've relied on ansi terminal emulation for both color and 
cursor positioning, but that seems not to work on ME, and seems not
straight forward in XP.  So I'm now trying to use the screen package
again.

Does anyone out there have experience with the screen package in
windows XP ?  I've not yet been able to try it myself but I was
unable over the phone to get it to work for a friend.  

Also I notice (at least on windows ME and XP) the screen package turns
the screen blue.  (Even just calling make-window does this, which
seems strange to me.)  This suggests that it might be easy to add
support for colors, e.g, allowing you to print in red on a green
background.  If that is easy, and especially if this functionality is
not otherwise easy to obtain, I suggest adding it.  If anyone does
know an easy substitute, please tell me about it.

---

From: Arseny Slobodjuck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 1 02:06:02 2003

Hello Don,

> unable over the phone to get it to work for a friend.  
I worked with it on win NT and did some tests under win 98. I've made
even kinda windowed interface. It works. So tell your friend not to
give up.

> know an easy substitute, please tell me about it.
White on black seems boring to me. Adding colors would lead to
discrepancy between UNIX and windows SCREEN if only some expert in
UNIX terminals not going to support colors on UNIX. AFAIK it would
be hard to make color support working everywhere.

-- 
Best regards,
 Arseny

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 1 07:13:22 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] screen package"
> * Sent on Thu, 1 May 2003 20:10:18 +1000
> * Honorable Arseny Slobodjuck <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Adding colors would lead to discrepancy between UNIX and windows
> SCREEN if only some expert in UNIX terminals not going to support
> colors on UNIX. AFAIK it would be hard to make color support working
> everywhere.

ncurses offers portable terminal color handling.
<http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/>
it would be nice to work out a common API for win32 and ncurses for
SCREEN. 

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat9 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% mortality.

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Thu May 1 08:08:12 2003

> even kinda windowed interface. It works. So tell your friend not to

I was wondering about xp in particular.  I have it working on ME.

 > <http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/>

Any idea whether/how this is related to windows ansi.sys ?
That seems to be compatible with xterm.

 > it would be nice to work out a common API for win32 and ncurses for

It would be useful even to start with support for one platform.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 1 13:34:13 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Thu, 1 May 2003 07:59:21 -0700
> * Honorable [email-masked] (Don Cohen) writes:
>

indeed.  would you like to work on this?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat9 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for a lifetime.