Subject: [clisp-list] Re: CLisp and GNU TeXmacs integration

From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 1 00:34:03 2004

A texmacs-1.0.3-11 package (seven minor versions higher than the one
you were talking about?) is available on Mac OS X through Fink. The
Fink description of this package version doesn't mention CLISP
either, but it probably should (it mentions Maxima).

The problem I see with TeXmacs is that it doesn't have support for
Editor MACroS. Not to rain on anyone's parade. I think that TeXmacs
is otherwise a *very* cool program. But with no Elisp support, I've
tended to imagine that this program will be virtually unusable (at
least for me).

I would be interested in seeing neat things that people do in
TeXmacs with CLISP; if there is something really cool, then I'll
definitely reconsider.

Joe

   On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Sam Steingold wrote:
   
   > > * Michael Graffam <[email-masked]> [2004-01-28 20:24:32 -0500]:
   > >
   > > GNU TeXmacs (www.texmacs.org) 1.0.3.2 now includes plugin support for
   > > CLisp.
   >
   > why isn't CLISP mentioned on
   > <http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/plugins/plugins.en.html>?
   
   Good question! Probably because the Lisp plugin is new, and the web pages
   haven't been updated yet. Now that I look, I don't have authorship credit
   yet either :)
   
   I'll email the maintainers. Thanks for the pointer.
   
   -- Mike

---

From: Martin Costabel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 1 11:04:02 2004

> either, but it probably should (it mentions Maxima).

Errm, actually the Fink package is texmacs-1.0.3, the stable version. 
The "11" is a fink-internal revision number. I haven't yet got around to 
look at the later sources. I don't know anything about clisp, but I'll 
try to see if the clisp plugin in 1.0.3.2 is working. I'll then release 
the version 1.0.3.2-11 into Fink (it starts with revision 11, so as to 
leave some space for versions running under OS X 10.2), and I hope you 
will tell me then if it works for you.

-- 
Martin

---

From: Michael Graffam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 1 12:11:03 2004

> TeXmacs with CLISP; if there is something really cool, then I'll

Well, I made the Lisp plugin for TeXmacs to help in drawing tree diagrams
for a paper that I wrote. Rather than drawing the trees manually to
illustrate an algorithm, I wrote the algorithm in Lisp and had it
draw the trees for me. Then I simply cut and pasted the figures from the
CLISP buffer into my paper.

TeXmacs isn't really meant as a programmer's editor, and while it offers
some features analogous to Emacs, it is not (and maybe will never be) a
replacement for Emacs. TeXmacs is meant for creating typeset-quality
technical papers. A secondary goal is to provide a means for external
programs ("plugins") to take advantage of TeXmacs as a rendering engine
for specialized user interfaces (such as done with Maxima to give it
"real" mathematical output rather than the stock ASCII stuff). The
same has been done with GNU Octave, QCL and other programs.

The Lisp plugin is valuable to anyone wishing to generate typeset content
with Lisp. TeXmacs code is expressed as Lisp/Scheme s-expressions,
allowing high-quality dynamic documentation to be created in Lisp.

You seem to be implying that TeXmacs is not suitable for Lisp code
development (yet, anyhow) and I'd have to agree. The interface is provided
for run-time use.

---

From: Martin Costabel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 1 12:51:13 2004

Martin Costabel wrote:
[]
> will tell me then if it works for you.

On Mac OSX, no luck so far: The clisp plugin displays a nice banner and 
tells that it read the init scripts, but it doesn't show a prompt. I'll 
try to understand why, but to me it looks as if every plugin speaks a 
completely different language, and I haven't understood how they produce 
their command line prompts.

-- 
Martin

---

From: Joris van der Hoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 1 13:01:01 2004

> their command line prompts.

You may wish to run TeXmacs using

	texmacs --debug-io

so that you see what is being communicated.
It may also be useful to take a look at

	Help -> Interfacing -> ...

---

From: Michael Graffam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 1 13:46:08 2004

> their command line prompts.

Please try upgrading to a newer version of CLISP. The command prompt does
not appear because the plugin uses a method of defining the prompt that
is only available in CLISP 2.32.

---

From: Martin Costabel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 1 15:27:05 2004

> is only available in CLISP 2.32.

OK, this rules it out for the moment. The Fink clisp-2.32 package is 
under discussion, but has not yet been released. It is not yet clear 
whether it will break maxima or not.

Anyway, I put the texmacs-2.3.2-11 package into Fink. When clisp-2.32 
appears, the plugin should automatically work, I hope.

-- 
Martin

---

From: Martin Costabel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 1 15:44:08 2004

Martin Costabel wrote:

> Anyway, I put the texmacs-2.3.2-11 package into Fink. 

Make this 1.0.3.2-11. Too many digits :)

-- 
Martin