Subject: [clisp-list] problems with generic streams

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Sat Mar 6 17:05:01 2004

In trying to move a program that used generic streams from 2.27 to
2.32 I found that a lot of symbols had changed packages.  I hope that
won't keep happening.

The problem I'm trying to solve now actually seems to happen in 2.27
as well.  I do 
(princ "a
b" stream)
where stream is a generic stream
and I find that the generic function that prints a single character
to the stream gets called with a #\newline before it's called with
the #\a !  If I just do (princ "a" stream) this does not happen.
Even stranger, when I call terpri on a generic stream I see the
write-char function called on a #\newline when I run from within
emacs, but not when I run in an xterm.

Any explanations or advice?

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 6 19:15:00 2004

> * Don Cohen <[email-masked]> [2004-03-06 16:45:04 -0800]:
>

<http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/printer.html#ppr-first-newline>
<http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#ppr-first-newline>

isn't it nice to be able to answer a question with a simple URL?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Abandon all hope, all ye who press Enter.