Subject: [clisp-list] status of asdf with clisp?

From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 15 18:28:12 2004

With the asdf and clisp files I have, I'm still getting
errors like this --

[1]> (load "/usr/local/src/asdf/asdf.lisp")
;; Loading file /usr/local/src/asdf/asdf.lisp ...
*** - Error: ~:@> not implemented
Current point in control string:
  ~@<erred while invoking ~A on ~A~@:>

I'm just curious to know whether anyone who is using a clisp version
with number > 2.32 is having any success using asdf.  

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 , Steven E. Harris sent me a link that I wasn't
able to make sense of... but I think it was meant to point to the
first hit you get when you search Google groups for "asdf clisp".

Unfortunately, the that was being talked about there (just load an
old asdf.fas) things don't work for me.  If I fake the date at the
top of the fas file, I get

;; Loading file /Users/arided/asdf.fas ...
*** - SYSTEM::%MAKE-CLOSURE: invalid side-effect class (T . T) for function #:|(DEFPACKAGE #:ASDF (:EXPORT #:DEFSYSTEM #:OOS ...) ...)-1-1|

Any one know what the official status is for this package under
clisp?

---

From: Edi Weitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 16 02:58:05 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:02:10 -0600, Joe Corneli <[email-masked]> wrote:

> old asdf.fas) things don't work for me.

Did you try the asdf.fas file available from this address?

  <http://www.weitz.de/asdf-install/>

Edi.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 16 06:50:40 2004

next CLISP release 2.33 (due RCN) should work with asdf OOTB (the error
message have been disabled).
patches implementing the missing functionality are welcome.
-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Marriage is the sole cause of divorce.

---

From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 16 09:54:33 2004

For the next clisp release, could you please add a --with-clx option
to the configuration script?  (Like --with-x for Emacs :).)  I
finally got new-clx to work, but I had to patch the makefile by hand
and do a few other tedious things.  In general it would be cool if
the various clisp modules could be selectively compiled in at
compile time!  This would make upgrading much more of a snap than
it is currently.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 16 10:27:07 2004

> * Joe Corneli <[email-masked]> [2004-03-16 11:52:37 -0600]:
>
> to the configuration script?

did you try

$ ./configure --help

(hint "--with-module=clx/new-clx" is what you are looking for)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Save your burned out bulbs for me, I'm building my own dark room.

---

From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 16 12:01:00 2004

hint "--with-module=clx/new-clx" is what you are looking for

Thanks, I didn't think of that.

But getting back to the topic of documentation, it would be nice to
have better documentation of which modules are available.  This info
doesn't seem to appear in the impnotes.

Besides, it would be nice to have an Info version of the impnotes.
I just tried html2texi | makeinfo, and that didn't work out so well.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 16 12:39:02 2004

> * Joe Corneli <[email-masked]> [2004-03-16 14:00:33 -0600]:
>

<http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/modules.html>
30.2.6. Modules included in the distribution.

The following modules come with the distribution of CLISP:

bindings

    Call the operating system functions from CLISP. The following
    platforms are supported: 

        *          Amiga
        *          Linux/GNU libc
        *          Win32

CLX

    Call Xlib functions from CLISP. Two implementations are supplied:

        *          mit-clx, from MIT
        ftp://ftp.x.org/R5contrib/CLX.R5.02.tar.Z - 
        the standard implementation 
        *          new-clx, by Gilbert Baumann - faster, with additional
          features, but not quite complete yet.  

oracle

    Access Oracle from CLISP; by John Hinsdale.
fastcgi

    Access FastCGI from CLISP; by John Hinsdale.
netica

    Work with Bayesian belief networks and influence diagrams using Netica. 
postgresql

    Access PostgreSQL from CLISP. 
queens

    Compute the number of solutions to the n-queens problem on a n*n
    checkboard (a toy example for the users to explore). 
dirkey

    Directory Access
regexp

    The POSIX Regular Expressions matching, compiling, executing. 
syscalls

    Use some system calls in a platform-independent way. 
wildcard

    Shell (/bin/sh) globbing

> I just tried html2texi | makeinfo, and that didn't work out so well.

the sources are in clisp/doc in DocBook/XML format.
get DocBook/XSL to output info files and you are done.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
MS: Brain off-line, please wait.

---

From: Douglas Philips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 16 15:52:02 2004

>     The POSIX Regular Expressions matching, compiling, executing.

What about pcre?
Seems like that list is out of date?

<D\'gou

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 16 16:01:01 2004

> * Douglas Philips <[email-masked]> [2004-03-16 18:51:04 -0500]:
>

just needs regeneration from xml sources.
will be done for the release.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Oh Lord, give me the source code of the Universe and a good debugger!