Subject: [clisp-list] problems building on MacOSX, and problems with the build process

From: Tom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 3 19:30:04 2002

Trying to build CLISP on MacOSX breaks in the avcall package because
the OSX asm syntax is different from that of other rs6000 systems.

Is there any way of telling CLISP not to use avcall?  I tried giving
configure the "--without-avcall" option.  Configure doesn't complain,
but it still tries to compile "avcall" and fails.  Would it even
run without avcall?

I'm also having a hard time just hacking CLISP.  When I "configure"
and "make" it, after it dies making itself in avcall, it doesn't notice
that anything went wrong, removes (!) the toplevel makefile, and tells
me to proceed to the second stage make process.  After that, the source
tree is in a mess: configure refuses to run again because bits
and pieces of the previous configuration are still around, and "make"
refuses to run because the top-level makefile is gone.  That can't be
how is it supposed to work; what am I missing?

Thanks,
Tom.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
http://taxes.yahoo.com/

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Apr 4 06:27:41 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] problems building on MacOSX, and problems with the build process"
> * Sent on Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:29:40 -0800 (PST)
> * Honorable Tom <[email-masked]> writes:
>

sure - no FFI.

$ ./configure --with-no-dynamic-ffi

> and "make" it, after it dies making itself in avcall, it doesn't
> notice that anything went wrong, removes (!) the toplevel makefile,
> and tells me to proceed to the second stage make process.  After that,
> the source tree is in a mess: configure refuses to run again because
> bits and pieces of the previous configuration are still around, and
> "make" refuses to run because the top-level makefile is gone.  That
> can't be how is it supposed to work; what am I missing?

always build in a separate directory:

$ ./configure build-dir

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
The only thing worse than X Windows: (X Windows) - X

---

From: Tom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 5 06:52:35 2002

Thanks for the response.  I tried:

$ tar -zxvf ~/DOWN/clisp-2.28.tar.gz
$ cd clisp-2.28
$ mkdir macbuild
$ ./configure --with-no-dynamic-ffi macbuild

Unfortunately, I get pretty much the same behavior: lots
of errors in avcall-rs6000.c and the makefile disappears.

Tom.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 5 11:21:12 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] problems building on MacOSX, and problems with the build process"
> * Sent on Fri, 5 Apr 2002 06:49:24 -0800 (PST)

$ ./configure --without-dynamic-ffi --build macbuild

please send the last few lines - not just the error messages, but the
commands issued by ./configure and echoed to the screen.

PS. there is no such thing as "toplevel makefile".

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Are you smart enough to use Lisp?