Subject: [clisp-list] Clisp 2.28 on cygwin

From: Karsten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 5 12:38:39 2002

Hello,

I compiled clisp 2.28 on Windows/Cygwin.

There is only one problem with ualarm
cygwin defines it as

useconds_t _EXFUN(ualarm, (useconds_t __useconds, useconds_t __interval));

and complains about the declaration in unix.d, line 296
# extern_C unsigned int ualarm (unsigned int value, unsigned int interval); 
# siehe UALARM(3)
and the redefinition in unixaux.d line 589.

I honestly don't know why this compiled in clisp 2.27 (I did that), because 
I can't see any change in ualarm.

After commenting these two definitions, clisp compiles fine, executes the 
test-suite with just one error inexcepsit.erg (I had that also in 2,27).

Is there anything that I can do to really resolve the ualarm issue?

Un saludo

Karsten

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 5 17:48:07 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Clisp 2.28 on cygwin"
> * Sent on Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:33:29 +0100
> * Honorable Karsten <[email-masked]> writes:
>

please "make distrib" and upload clisp-2.28-cygwin.tar.gz to
upload.sf.net/incoming

> After commenting these two definitions, clisp compiles fine, executes
> the test-suite with just one error inexcepsit.erg (I had that also in
> 2,27).

could you please remind me what the error is?
can you debug it?

> Is there anything that I can do to really resolve the ualarm issue?

it appears that cygwin provides a working ualarm, right?
where/how is it declared?

thanks!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
main(a){a="main(a){a=%c%s%c;printf(a,34,a,34);}";printf(a,34,a,34);}

---

From: Karsten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 6 11:19:26 2002

>please "make distrib" and upload clisp-2.28-cygwin.tar.gz to

done

>could you please remind me what the error is?

I will debug that

>where/how is it declared?

Ualarm is defined in
/usr/include/sys/unixstd.h
as
useconds_t _EXFUN(ualarm, (useconds_t __useconds, useconds_t __interval));

useconds_t is in /usr/include/sys/types.h
#if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(__rtems__)
typedef long useconds_t;
#endif

_EXFUN is in /usr/include/_ansi.h as
#define _EXFUN(name, proto)             __cdecl name proto

Karsten

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 6 17:20:04 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] Clisp 2.28 on cygwin"
> * Sent on Wed, 06 Mar 2002 20:18:13 +0100

I don't see it there - I guess this is not a viable path (I have to
release the file very soon after it is uploaded)

could you please put this file on a web page from where I could
download it?
thanks.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Those who value Life above Freedom are destined to lose both.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 9 08:24:04 2002

> #if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(__rtems__)

useconds_t, as follows from the name, should be unsigned.
please file a cygwin bug report.

do I understand that, to compile CLISP, you removed the CLISP-supplied
definitions of ualarm &c (or just the declarations)?
If you removed just the declarations, please try removing the
definitions as well (so that you will be testing whether CLISP can use
the cygwin-supplied ualarm) and check whether CLISP handles interrupts
(like Ctrl-C) correctly (this appears to be the only place where ualarm
is used).

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 9 15:00:04 2002

Thanks Peter - I installed your patch.
Karsten, please do "cvs up" and try again.
BTW, Peter, did you test the cygwin ipv6 patch?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.