Subject: [clisp-list] CLISP MT - donations tax deductible?

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:54:33 -0700 (PDT)

It occurs to me that those of us who donate to the MT project would
benefit (and might even pass that benefit on) if we could make the
donations deductible.  Does anyone out there know of a way to do this?

I think what we want is an already non-profit organization that is
willing to accept our donations and apply them to this project.  I did
ask linuxfund and the answer was no, donations are not currently
deductible and no, they don't currently accept donations for
particular projects.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 15:09:05 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] CLISP MT - donations tax deductible?"
> * Sent on Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:54:33 -0700 (PDT)
> * Honorable [email-masked] (Don Cohen) writes:
>

since CLISP is actually "GNU CLISP" now, maybe FSF could do that?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Lisp: its not just for geniuses anymore.

---

From: Ben Hyde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:34:59 -0400 (EDT)

> deductible and no, they don't currently accept donations for

As a former board member of a nonprofit, but certainly not as 
an expert...

First off I'll note for some of our international readers that
for Americans $ given to a IRS registered nonprofit is before 
taxes while money given otherwise is not.  For example 100$
given to my community theater costs me 100$, while 100$ given
to my school's registered parent's org. costs me more like 
really only 70$.

Secondly non-profits are not allowed to be money laundering operations.
So if I go to my school and say here is 100$ for: "My son's fourth
grade can buy film for their camera so he can do his class project" they
can not, strictly speaking, accept it under those terms without running
the risk of getting in trouble.  Since the IRS has far better things to
do with their time though.  This is dangerous turf because it can make
the various subfactions of a nonprofit get all territorial; "Our friends
gave that money so we should get it."

 - ben

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:40:58 -0700

Don,

In the U.S.A., anyway, tax-exempt status is covered under section 501 and 
509 of the IRS code. E.g., tax-exempt charities are covered under 
501(c)(3). If the organization has not formally applied for and acquired 
the appropriate status with the IRS, then contributions thereto are not tax 
deductible.

The FSF is tax-exempt and deductions to it are tax-deductible. (From the 
home page: "The Free Software Foundation is a tax-exempt charity that 
raises funds for work on the GNU Project"). I could not readily find there 
IRS-assigned organization identification code, but surely they'd supply it 
on request.

Is there actually an organization called "Cons.org?" Judging from the home 
page (<http://www.cons.org/>) the answer is no, it's Martin Cracauer's 
personal project.

Similarly, I see no indication that SourceForge is a tax-exempt organization.

I'm not sure which organization would be considered the recipient of the 
any funds collected to support adding MT to CLISP. If they're going 
directly to the individual doing the work, I don't even think it's 
possible. If it were going through a tax-exempt organization such as the 
FSF and that organization were then employing the individual (or 
organization) doing the programming work, then even though the contribution 
would be tax-deductible by the contributor, the employer (e.g. FSF) would 
have to do all the usual tax business (withholding, reporting, etc.).

All in all, I'm not sure this will fly or whether it would be worth the 
trouble. But then again, you can always put it on your tax form and hope it 
isn't noticed or challenged. That is the American Way, after all ("It's 
only illegal if you get caught." or that famous school yard taunt, "It's a 
free country.").

Standard Disclaimer: I AM NOT A LAWYER, tax or otherwise.

Nor do I mean to presume that the individuals or organizations involved are 
in the U.S.A.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA