Subject: [clisp-list] berkeley-db

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed Jul 21 11:36:07 2004

I'm trying to use the berkeley-db module as mentioned in the implementation 
notes (http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#berkeley-db) however I get the 
error message "there is no package with the name BDB" when I try to run 
(BDB:DB-VERSION). 

H:\>clisp --version
GNU CLISP 2.33 (2004-03-17) (built on winsteingoldlap [192.168.1.101])
Software: GNU C 3.3.1 (cygming special) ANSI C program
Features:
(DIRKEY REGEXP SYSCALLS CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL
INTERPRETER SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN FFI UNICODE
BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER PC386 WIN32)
Installation directory: H:\clisp-2.33.1\
User language: ENGLISH
Machine: PC/386 (PC/?86) 

I have install Berkeley-db 4.2.52 

Any pointers? 

Thanks 

Jeff

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 21 11:46:04 2004

> error message "there is no package with the name BDB" when I try to run 

yes this is a frequently asked:

   http://clisp.cons.org/faq.html#modules

You need to run:

	clisp -K full ...

otherwise you get the base CLISP w/out the modules.

In truth I'm not sure why the "full" set is not the default.  I never
use anything other than "full" and it seems for many people (me, who
else matters ;) if you configure build the module implies you're going
to want to use it, no?  But I think there is some reason, perhaps
historical, not sure why "base w/out modules" is the default

Hope this helps!

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 21 12:06:04 2004

> * John K. Hinsdale <[email-masked]> [2004-07-21 14:45:06 -0400]:
>
> to want to use it, no?

people who use the pre-built binaries do not have that choice.

> But I think there is some reason, perhaps historical, not sure why
> "base w/out modules" is the default

IIRC, Bruno wants the default to be as simple and reliable as possible.
Frankly, I don't see how the presence of an unused module can reduce
reliability, but what do I know? :-)
I hope Bruno will clarify the matter here for the FAQ list.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Lisp is a language for doing what you've been told is impossible. - Kent Pitman

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 21 12:16:02 2004

> *  <[email-masked]> [2004-07-21 13:26:58 -0500]:
>
> I'm trying to use the berkeley-db module as mentioned in the
> implementation notes (http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#berkeley-db)
> however I get the error message "there is no package with the name BDB"
> when I try to run (BDB:DB-VERSION). 
>
> H:\>clisp --version

in addition to John's reply, let me mention that

1. I don't remember if berkeley-db is included in the cygwin binary

2. even if it is, the current CVS HEAD has a much improved version:
   <http://www.podval.org/~sds/clisp/impnotes/modules.html#berkeley-db>
   I urge you to get CVS HEAD and build CLISP yourself:
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/clisp co clisp
$ cd clisp
$ ./configure --with-module=berkeley-db --build build-bdb
$ ./build-bdb/clisk -K full

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
UNIX is as friendly to you as you are to it. Windows is hostile no matter what.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed Jul 21 12:38:01 2004

Unfortunately, I'm firewalled out of using cvs. Is the source version on the 
sourceforge download page close enough? 

BTW, sorry for missing the modules question in the FAQ. I did try to find 
the answer before asking here, but being a bit of a newbie means I don't 
always know where to look or how to ask the question correctly when reading 
the doc. I appreciate your patience. 

Thanks!
Jeff 

Sam Steingold writes: 

> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by BEA Weblogic Workshop
> FREE Java Enterprise J2EE developer tools!
> Get your free copy of BEA WebLogic Workshop 8.1 today.
> http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=4721&alloc_id=10040&op=click
> _______________________________________________
> clisp-list mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clisp-list

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 21 13:07:04 2004

> reliability, but what do I know? :-)

Making the default linkingset the 'base' one has the following advantages:

  - It avoids problems when a module requires a shared library, and that
    shared library is not present (or is present but with wrong version)
    on your system.

  - People looking at the size of "ps aux" or "(room t)" will not think
    "gee - lisp is so bloated". (That was precisely my impression when
    I first saw a CMUCL memory image, 20 MB large.)

  - Adding things to the heap means increased working set size, thus a
    slowdown. It matters for small to medium applications.

  - For us developers, support is easier, because we don't have to ask for
    each bug report whether the linnkingset contained clx or not.

Bruno