Subject: RE: [clisp-list] CLISP 2.30 compilation under cygwin errors.

From: Eric Moncrieff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Sep 17 10:27:03 2002

Randall> Hi,

Hello,

    Randall> If you have XFree86/Cygwin installed, you have a binary
    Randall> called "lndir" in /usr/X11R6/bin
    Randall> ("/usr/X11R6/bin/lndir.exe" to be precise). Depending on
    Randall> your PATH setting, you might be invoking that instead of
    Randall> any lndir script that's part of the CLISP build system.

I removed /usr/X11R6/bin from my path, to be sure that it wasn't
there, and it wasn't.  

    Randall> Also, if line endings are an issue, there's also the text
    Randall> vs. binary mount business in Cygwin (not to mention the
    Randall> "binmode" option in the CYGWIN environment variable). If
    Randall> you're using Cygwin to build software, you need to
    Randall> understand how Cygwin handles the variant text file
    Randall> encodings of Windows and Unix.

Hm.  I'll read up on this...But I've never experienced any difficulty
before.  Then again, I am relatively new to the Cygwin environment.
Maybe my successes have been accidental :)

I'll see if I can't track anything down.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Eric

---

From: Eric Moncrieff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Sep 17 10:44:04 2002

Randall> The thing about text vs. binary is that different people
<snip great explanation>
    Randall> installation and configuration choices were made.

Thank you for this clear and succinct summary of the problem.  Armed
with this, I found a document on the cygwin website about precisely
this issue, which suggested that environment variables would need to
be set by running the cygwin.bat file before other tasks.

I did this, and now it seems to be working better.

Thanks again!

Eric

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Sep 17 10:57:04 2002

Eric,

[ I originally sent this only to Eric, but since he replied to it on the 
list, I'm re-posting it here. ]

The thing about text vs. binary is that different people make different 
choices when they install Cygwin and may make subsequent changes, too. This 
is a perennial source of problem reports on the Cygwin mailing list. 
They've decreased over time as software has been ported to Cygwin to make 
it resistant to the vagaries of Cygwin installation / configuration 
choices, but if the software in question (either the end product or the 
tools used to build it) are not fully and properly adapted to the mixed 
text environment of Cygwin, problems can occur and can be hard to reproduce 
on other systems where different Cygwin installation and configuration 
choices were made.

Randy

>Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Randy