Subject: [clisp-list] (in-package 'access ...) ==> 'access should be a symbol

From: D. Goel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 22 08:05:05 2002

Is this the right place to report a possible bug or ask a dumb question?

I do this:
,----
| deego@darwin:~$ clisp
|     `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
|         |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
|   ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8
| 
| [1]> (in-package 'access)
| 
| *** - IN-PACKAGE: argument 'ACCESS should be a string or a symbol
| 1. Break [2]> 
| 
`----

But isn't 'ACCESS a symbol already?

deego@darwin:~$ clisp --version
GNU CLISP 2.30 (released 2002-09-15) (built 3241812248) (memory
3244212566)
Features: 
(ASDF MK-DEFSYSTEM COMMON-LISP-CONTROLLER CLX-MIT-R5 CLX-MIT-R4 XLIB
CLX
 CLX-LITTLE-ENDIAN HAVE-WITH-STANDARD-IO-SYNTAX HAVE-CLCS HAVE-DECLAIM
 HAVE-PRINT-UNREADABLE-OBJECT CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL
COMMON-LISP
 LISP=CL INTERPRETER SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN
FFI
 UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER SYSCALLS PC386 UNIX)
deego@darwin:~$

uname -a: 

Linux darwin 2.4.19 #1 SMP Mon Sep 16 14:53:09 EDT 2002 i686 AMD
Athlon(TM) XP1600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Have a good day,

DG                                 http://deego.gnufans.org/~deego/
--

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 22 11:26:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] (in-package 'access ...) ==> 'access should be a symbol"
> * Sent on 22 Oct 2002 11:04:26 -0400
> * Honorable "D. Goel" <[email-masked]> writes:
>

yes (it is also a good idea to subscribe to this list or read it via gmane.org)

> But isn't 'ACCESS a symbol already?

'ACCESS == (QUOTE ACCESS) is a cons.
See <http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/Body/mac_in-package.html>

> (ASDF MK-DEFSYSTEM COMMON-LISP-CONTROLLER CLX-MIT-R5 CLX-MIT-R4 XLIB

why do you use both ASDF and MK-DEFSYSTEM?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat8 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for a lifetime.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 22 13:26:02 2002

Hi Marco,

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Trying to send an email to clisp-list..."
> * Sent on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:35:52 -0400
> * Honorable Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> I have been trying to send an email to clisp-list for a few days
> without success.  Could you check is it gets blocked by mailman?

nope - the admin interface is clean -
none of your message has been blocked. 

> The email is about clisp 2.30.  This is what I get.  I think it is a bug.
> 
> [2]> (compile-file-pathname "foo.lisp")
> 
> *** - UNIX error 13 (EACCES): Permission denied
> 1. Break [3]> 

one of the directories in *load-path* or the current directory is
unreadable.  (compile-file "foo.lisp") would signal an error too.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat8 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Lisp suffers from being twenty or thirty years ahead of time.

---

From: D. Goel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 22 14:17:04 2002

Thanks for the reply, Sam.  
> yes (it is also a good idea to subscribe to this list or read it via gmane.org)

Subscribed (already), thanks. 
> why do you use both ASDF and MK-DEFSYSTEM?

I didn't try to use both.  I simply tried the plain debian install

 apt-get -t unstable -u install clisp

and got clisp 2.30 installed.  Then, when reporting my problem, i just
typed the clisp --version, and pasted the result.

So, is my clisp using both? Is using both bad?  Is my install
therefore a bit 'broken' ?

> > But isn't 'ACCESS a symbol already?
[...]

Ahh, I see should have tried (in-package USER) or (in-package  "USER")
 instead

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 22 14:57:01 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] (in-package 'access ...) ==> 'access should be a symbol"
> * Sent on 22 Oct 2002 17:16:39 -0400

ASDF and MK-DEFSYSTEM implement the same functionality.
It's like installing both VIM and NVI.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat8 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
If abortion is murder, then oral sex is cannibalism.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 22 15:05:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: Trying to send an email to clisp-list..."
> * Sent on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:56:52 -0400
> Why should this be a problem?  COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME shouldn't
> interact with the file system.  COMPILE-FILE would, but at a later
> stage.

In CLISP, COMPILE-FILE uses *LOAD-PATHS* when the file is not present
in the current directory (this is an extension which allows you to
recompile your files without typing full paths or CD's).
Therefore COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME will need to search through it.
See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#load-paths>.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat8 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!

---

From: Rudi Schlatte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Oct 23 00:55:02 2002

> It's like installing both VIM and NVI.

It's a feature :)

Debian's common-lisp-controller, which is in charge of recompilation
etc. of Lisp systems included in the Debian distribution, depends on an
installed defsystem facility in the standard image of every Lisp
installation that it manages.  Since packages come with either .asdf or
.system files, c-l-c installs both of these.  The alternative would be
to require the use of one specific system definition facility for every
Lisp package to be included in Debian.

Regards,

Rudi (imagining the flame wars ...)

---

From: Christophe Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Oct 23 00:57:02 2002

> It's like installing both VIM and NVI.

... which, if some users prefer vim and some nvi, is a sensible thing to
do.

The Debian treatment of CL is a little sledgehammer-like, but it's
trying to solve a difficult problem: automatic system-wide install of
third-party lisp packages.  Some of these packages have mk-defsystem
descriptions, and some have asds; therefore, to have a chance at
compiling them on install, a given lisp compiler (clisp, in this
instance) must understand both formats.

There is no known problem with having an image with both ASDF and
MK-DEFSYSTEM.  If you discover one, please report it as a bug.

Cheers,

Christophe
-- 
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/       +44 1223 510 299/+44 7729 383 757
(set-pprint-dispatch 'number (lambda (s o) (declare (special b)) (format s b)))
(defvar b "~&Just another Lisp hacker~%")    (pprint #36rJesusCollegeCambridge)

---

From: Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Oct 23 12:01:02 2002

> X-Authentication-Warning: loiso.podval.org: sds set sender to [email-masked] using -f
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Mail-Copies-To: never
> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> Date: 22 Oct 2002 18:05:59 -0400
> X-Authentication-Info: Submitted using SMTP AUTH PLAIN at out001.verizon.net from [151.203.41.208] at Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:04:30 -0500
> X-UIDL: $/A!!(\;!!-`#!!Y\V"!
> 

Sorry, but I need to raise the non-conformant flag here.  AFAIU
COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME is a "pathname algebra" function, unlike
COMPILE-FILE.  Hence, it should not interact with the file system at
all.

This is IMHO a bug which should be corrected.  Besides, at least CMUCL
(and SBCL) along with LW on Windows work as expected.

Recompiling a file is a different issue altogether.  The completion
facility could be added to COMPILE-FILE, not COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME.

Cheers

-- 
Marco Antoniotti ========================================================
NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group        tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA                 http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.

---

From: Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Oct 23 12:01:03 2002

> From: "D. Goel" <[email-masked]>
> Sender: [email-masked]
> X-Original-Date: 22 Oct 2002 17:16:39 -0400
> Date: 22 Oct 2002 17:16:39 -0400
> X-UIDL: SE^!!C!H!!'g$"!4]+"!
> 

Why not?

Cheers

---

From: Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Oct 23 12:01:03 2002

> Date: 22 Oct 2002 16:26:59 -0400
> X-Authentication-Info: Submitted using SMTP AUTH PLAIN at out001.verizon.net from [151.203.41.208] at Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:25:33 -0500
> X-UIDL: *SN"!W[7"!R\^"!<"j"!
> 
> Hi Marco,
> 

Yep.  I think this is a SF mistake.  My messages keep bouncing (we
just moved behind a firewall, but I thought I was ok).

Cheers