Subject: [clisp-list] Default encoding problem

From: Nick Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jan 20 13:31:06 2003

Hi, I am getting this error when I try to print any of a few macrons to 
the standard output in clisp:

*** - Character #\u00EF cannot be represented in the character set 
CHARSET:ASCI

I have already found a solution to the equivalent input error, which was 
occurring while reading input from a file, i.e.

invalid byte #xE4 in CHARSET:ASCII conversion

The solution here was to put this line into my init file:

#+unicode (setf custom:*default-file-encoding*
                 (ext:make-encoding :charset "ISO-8859-1" 
:line-terminator :unix))

What is the equivalent *default-whatever-encodint* that corresponds to 
the standard output?

Thanks.
Nick.

---

From: "Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jan 21 01:07:02 2003

>What is the equivalent *default-whatever-encodint* that corresponds to 

Given that you already knew about custom:*default-*-encoding*, it might have been trivial to search for it in the impnotes text to find all the other references next to it. Please look up ext:make-encoding.

Sam Steingold uses to respond:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/faq.html#enc-err>
>FAQ already contains this information in the form of references to the
>relevant parts of the manual and the impnotes.

and, more recently:
>I want $20 for each question that I answer with a URL pointing to the
>CLISP documentation :-)
>On the second thought, if the pointer is to the FAQ, I want $50. :-)

Do you believe that the answer there is not precise enough and should mention something else?

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle.