Subject: [clisp-list] Feature request: ODBC support

From: Massimiliano Campagnoli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 28 05:51:04 2004

Dear all,

finally I am back to lisp after years of boring C/C++ development.
My current project is to port all the company ERP system from C++ with 
desktop GUI to LISP with Web based GUI.
Our choice went to CLISP because is stable, light and has an excellent 
FCGI support.
Unfortunately we are forced to use IBM DB/2 as relational database which 
is not accessible from CLISP directly
and we have estimated a lot of effort to enable CLISP to access DB/2 
through FFI calls.
As you all probably know the CLSQL package requires UFFI and so does not 
work with CLISP.
I am almost forced to move to CMUCL/SBCL or propretary implementation 
(Allegro CL) to have ODBC/DB2 access.
May I suggest the CLISP community to consider the possibility to 
implement UFFI as a second foreign function interface in order to use 
the good UFFI based packages out there ?

Regards

-- 
ING. MASSIMILIANO CAMPAGNOLI

PAOLO ASTORI SRL
VIA MIRABELLA, 9
28013 - GATTICO 
ITALY

---

From: Pascal J.Bourguignon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 28 14:01:32 2004

> the good UFFI based packages out there ?

I guess you did not try my UFFI for clisp?

   http://www.informatimago.com/develop/lisp/

Can't blame you, I've not tested myself yet...

-- 
__Pascal Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 28 14:47:19 2004

> * Pascal J.Bourguignon <[email-masked]> [2004-07-28 22:54:49 +0200]:
>

I consider this to be a very high priority item.
Is there any functionality which you need in CLISP to finish your port?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
If your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you don't want Linux.

---

From: "Andreas Thiele" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 28 14:55:11 2004

Hi,

I think ODBC via FFI is an overseeable amout of work. I started working
on it and will soon continue. You can find my sources (5 days of work
yet) at www.atp-media.de\odbc-cl\odbc.zip.

Andreas

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von
Massimiliano Campagnoli
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 28. Juli 2004 14:50
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [clisp-list] Feature request: ODBC support

Dear all,

finally I am back to lisp after years of boring C/C++ development. My
current project is to port all the company ERP system from C++ with 
desktop GUI to LISP with Web based GUI.
Our choice went to CLISP because is stable, light and has an excellent 
FCGI support.
Unfortunately we are forced to use IBM DB/2 as relational database which

work with CLISP.

Regards

PAOLO ASTORI SRL
VIA MIRABELLA, 9
28013 - GATTICO 
ITALY

-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by BEA Weblogic Workshop
FREE Java Enterprise J2EE developer tools!
Get your free copy of BEA WebLogic Workshop 8.1 today.
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=4721&alloc_id=10040&op=click
_______________________________________________
clisp-list mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clisp-list

---

From: Pascal J.Bourguignon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 28 15:21:14 2004

> Is there any functionality which you need in CLISP to finish your port?

The two functions remaining unimplemented are
UFFI:LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY and UFFI:FIND-FOREIGN-LIBRARY.  I guess the
later could be implemented portably, but the loading needs access to
dlopen. I planed to have a dl module, but since clisp already uses
dlopen when it's available for SYS::DYNLOAD-MODULES, perhaps you could
publish an interface to dlopen, dlerror, dlsym, and dlclose random
libraries.

Otherwise, it needs to be tested, debugged, and used to know if other
low level stuff is needed.

If you leave these DLOPEN, DLERROR, DLSYM and DLCLOSE functions in the
SYSTEM package, I guess it'd be nice to have a *FEATURE* symbol when
they're present, or do you think it'd be better to test 
(FBOUNDP 'SYSTEM:DLOPEN)?

---

From: Pascal J.Bourguignon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 28 15:25:06 2004

> publish an interface to dlopen, dlerror, dlsym, and dlclose random

Forget it. The :LIBRARY clause of FFI:DEF-CALL-OUT should be enough!

Unless there is need for loading a dynlib without explicitely calling
a function in it (for its initialization code if there is?).

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 28 15:43:04 2004

> * Pascal J.Bourguignon <[email-masked]> [2004-07-29 00:24:42 +0200]:
>

indeed.

when do you expect to submit your code to UFFI maintainers?

Thanks!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Whether pronounced "leenooks" or "line-uks", it's better than Windows.

---

From: Pascal J.Bourguignon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 28 18:39:02 2004

> when do you expect to submit your code to UFFI maintainers?

Depends on how much time I'll need to test and match it to the
specifications.

But it's not structured as a patch to the existing UFFI, but as an
independant package implemented over clisp EXT, CUSTOM and FFI
packages, implementing the same interface as The UFFI.

As such, once completed, it could as well be distributed along with
clisp.  I've put it under the LGPL, let me know if you'd rather have
it GPL'ed for inclusion with clisp (but I understand that LGPL is
"weaker" than GPL).