Subject: [clisp-list] what causes this error ?

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Mon Jan 6 21:03:05 2003

I can't reproduce it.

 Character #\u00B3 cannot be represented in the character set CHARSET:ASCII

I'm pretty sure I was running this:
(lisp-implementation-version)
"2.26.1 (released 2001-06-04) (built on host1 [10.0.1.2])"

(write-char #\u00B3) works.  Who decides that I want to represent
the character in ascii and how is it decided ?

---

From: Kaz Kylheku <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jan 6 21:12:02 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Don Cohen wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:04:50 -0800
> From: Don Cohen <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [clisp-list] what causes this error ?
> 
> I can't reproduce it.
> 

That is caused by trying to do 8 bit I/O on text streams, but not
having your LANG environment set to some locale that has 8 bit
characters. ASCII has only 7 bits.

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Mon Jan 6 21:38:02 2003

Kaz Kylheku writes:

 > characters. ASCII has only 7 bits.

Excellent, I expected something like that.
The reason I couldn't reproduce it was that
 $ echo $LANG
=>
 en_US

When I unset LANG I get it.

My problem started when I rebooted my machine (after close to a
year).  This ran my mail server (written in lisp).  Evidently 
rc.local runs in an environment without LANG set (or at least not
set to en_US), and this caused mail containing chars like #\u00B3 
to cause errors.  

Next question: what's the right solution to this sort of problem.
I'd like to be able to encapsulate all of the environment that
influences clisp so that I can expect the application to work
even when I move it to another environment.  Is there (a) a way
to generate all the environment variables that matter to a given
clisp image, (b) any way to remove such dependencies, (c) any way
to capture and preserve a given environment?

---

From: Ng Pheng Siong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jan 6 21:57:02 2003

> to capture and preserve a given environment? 

Check out daemontools:

    http://cr.yp.to/daemontools

Daemontools read environment variables from config files and supply them
to the processes it manages.

-- 
Ng Pheng Siong <[email-masked]> * http://www.netmemetic.com

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jan 6 23:20:03 2003

Pheng Siong,

>     http://cr.yp.to/daemontools

"access denied"

And that is the entirety of the response. Well, actually this is:

<html><body>access denied</body></html>

Randall Schulz

---

From: Ng Pheng Siong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jan 6 23:37:05 2003

> >    http://cr.yp.to/daemontools

Sorry, it should be

    http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jan 6 23:38:01 2003

At 23:20 2003-01-06, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>access denied

What I included in my email here was HTML, apparently stripped by the list 
server. It was something like this with the angle brackets from the 
original HTML replaced by curly braces:

{html}{body}access denied{/body}{/html}

Randall Schulz

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jan 7 07:27:04 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] what causes this error ?"
> * Sent on Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:04:50 -0800
> * Honorable [email-masked] (Don Cohen) writes:
>
> I can't reproduce it.
> 

<http://clisp.cons.org/faq.html#enc-err>

> "2.26.1 (released 2001-06-04) (built on host1 [10.0.1.2])"

18 months old.  yuk.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat8 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jan 7 07:54:08 2003

> <http://clisp.cons.org/faq.html#enc-err>

I want $20 for each question that I answer with a URL pointing to the
CLISP documentation :-)
On the second thought, if the pointer is to the FAQ, I want $50. :-)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat8 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Sinners can repent, but stupid is forever.