Subject: [clisp-list] windows "ME" memory allocation problem, also download url's

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:32:23 -0800 (PST)

ME = millenium edition - is that the same as Win 2000?

I'm trying to run clisp 9-15-97...

While I'm here, let me complain that I was unable to download a newer
one starting at the ftp/www download address on clisp.sourceforge.net.
There's something wrong with the urls there.  I can get some stuff
like http://clisp.cons.org/ but not 
     ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/ 

Anyhow, if I try to run lisp.exe I get something like this:
  cannot reserve address range at 0x78000000

What's the fix?

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:49:31 +0100 (CET)

>   cannot reserve address range at 0x78000000

Upgrade. Newer CLISPs have a totally different memory allocation that
works much better under Windows.

>      ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/ 

From my site, both
  ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/win32/
  ftp://clisp.sourceforge.net/pub/clisp/2000-03-06/
are accessible.

Bruno

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Mar 2001 14:01:56 -0500

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] windows "ME" memory allocation problem, also download url's"
> * Sent on Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:32:23 -0800 (PST)
> * Honorable [email-masked] (Don Cohen) writes:
>

win2000 == winnt5  -- the successor to the winNT line of junk.
winME  -- the successor to the win3.1/3.11/95/98 line of garbage.

(whistler = XP will be split into a "professional" descendant of NT and
a "personal" offspring of ME).

> I'm trying to run clisp 9-15-97...

ouch!  very old...

>      ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/ 

WFM.  could you please try again?
ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/2000-03-06/clisp-win32.zip

>   cannot reserve address range at 0x78000000

I remember that the older versions of CLISP required an -m10M command
line argument on win32.
Bruno is certainly the authority to ask this question to... 

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T after you.

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:26:04 -0800 (PST)

> works much better under Windows.
 ...
 >   ftp://clisp.sourceforge.net/pub/clisp/2000-03-06/

Thanks, all now works.  Patience was the missing ingredient.