Subject: [clisp-list] Lisp program Crash...

From: "Justice, Randy -CONT(DYN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:53:10 -0500

Please excuse me, this question is not a total LISP question...

I recently purchased a dual 1.2 GHZ AMD Server.

I purchased the box to one main reason - to execute long running 
LISP programs. The lisp programs needs to run for weeks at a time.

I installed three products on the box: Office 2000 Pro, WinZip 8, and CLISP.

The general symptom and dies with the following message in 
the event viewer:
Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	Save Dump
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	1001
Date:		7/11/2001
Time:		8:52:16 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	MPI-0WSES7UYOXH
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000050
(0xec01373d, 0x00000000, 0xec01373d, 0x00000002). Microsoft Windows 2000
[v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini071101-03.dmp. 

I have seen the program execute for a few minutes to 10-12 hours before
dying.

The machine has given me once a "blue-screen-of-death" with the following
message: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

One might try to jump to the conclusion that it is the LISP program.  I have
the SAME
LISP program running on 4 different boxs.  1. 333 MHZ K6-2 Machine - Wind
2000 SP2, 
2. 800 MHZ AMD - Wind 2000 SP2, 3.  266 MHZ P2 - Nt 4.0 SP 6A, 4. 1.3 GHZ P4
- Wind 2000. 

These boxs runs for Days/weeks at a time..  The new box has yet to last 24
hours.  
If it helps - the application is CPU bound -- All i/o is accomplished though
redirection. 

The current box is Wind 2000 SP2. 

I'm using clisp-win32-2.26.

What do you think?  I'm in a tight spot, I have a machine in it's current
state is 
a paper weight! 

Randy Justice

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:02:16 -0700

Randy,

By definition, if the machine crashes, applications must be held 
blameless--at least in a "real" operating system environment with protected 
memory. If you were running Windows 9x, the story might be different, but 
not under Win2K (any variety).

Now, if the "application" in question installed drivers or any code that 
executed in a privileged mode, then it would have to be considered as a 
potential source of the problem, but not a pure application-level program.

The most likely problem, given the relatively stock nature of your overall 
configuration, is hardware.

For what it's worth, you have my sympathies, since I have a high-end 
desktop that is exhibiting similar symptoms--and boy, am I peeved!

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 08:53 2001-07-12, you wrote:

>I have seen the program execute for a few minutes to 10-12 hours before dying.
>
>One might try to jump to the conclusion that it is the LISP program.  I 
>have the SAME LISP program running on 4 different boxs.  1. 333 MHZ K6-2 
>Machine - Wind 2000 SP2, 2. 800 MHZ AMD - Wind 2000 SP2, 3.  266 MHZ P2 - 
>Nt 4.0 SP 6A, 4. 1.3 GHZ P4 - Wind 2000.
>
>hours. If it helps - the application is CPU bound -- All i/o is 
>accomplished though redirection.
>
>state is a paper weight!

---

From: "Justice, Randy -CONT(DYN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:29:40 -0500

FYI.

I have found a program called "BurnInTest" at http://www.passmark.com.
I plan to execute it for the next 4/5 days.. 

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall R Schulz [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 11:02 AM
To: Justice, Randy -CONT(DYN); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [clisp-list] Lisp program Crash...

Randy,

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

dying.