Subject: [clisp-list] HOW TO USE GARNET

From: Andre RENARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 18 09:08:01 2004

Is there a good explanation somewhere how to load and use garnet in 
clisp 2.33 (GNU CLISP 2.33 (2004-03-17) (built on burivuh [127.0.0.1])
Software: GNU C 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1) ANSI C program) 
under suse 9 linux?
Got a lot of errors when I followed the directives of the Garnet docs.
Thanks
Andre

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 18 11:25:04 2004

> * Andre RENARD <[email-masked]> [2004-04-18 18:09:03 +0200]:
>

I have no problems with garnet.
what are your errors?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
There is Truth, and its value is T.  Or just non-NIL.  So 0 is True!

---

From: Andre RENARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 18 17:22:16 2004

I first modify the Your-Garnet-Pathname and Your-CLX-Pathname in 
garnet-loader.lisp (I use the clx from the locale directory downloaded 
with garnet).

Loading garnet-prepare-compile -> ok

then

[2]> (load "garnet-loader")
;; Loading file /home/andre/clisp-library/garnetx/src/garnet-loader.lisp ...
** - Continuable Error
RENAME-PACKAGE("COMMON-LISP"): #<PACKAGE COMMON-LISP> is locked
If you continue (by typing 'continue'): Ignore the lock and proceed

If I remove the lock with

(setf (EXT:PACKAGE-LOCK 'COMMON-LISP) nil)
(how risky is it? I am relatively new with lisp)

then

[5]> (load "garnet-loader")
;; Loading file /home/andre/clisp-library/garnetx/src/garnet-loader.lisp ...
** Loading Garnet Version 3.0 from :EXTERNAL
...Loading Garnet ...

  %%%%%%% Loading CLX %%%%%%%%
;;  Loading file /home/andre/clisp-library/local/lib/clisp/clx/clx.lisp ...
** - Continuable Error
FUNCTION: undefined function CLOSE-DOWN-MODE-SETTER
If you continue (by typing 'continue'): Retry
The following restarts are also available:
STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for (FDEFINITION 
'CLOSE-DOWN-MODE-SETTER).
USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of 
(FDEFINITION 'CLOSE-DOWN-MODE-SETTER).

Break 1 XLIB[6]>

What do I do wrong?

Andre

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 18 18:47:05 2004

> * Andre RENARD <[email-masked]> [2004-04-19 02:22:10 +0200]:
>

you should not set Your-CLX-Pathname, instead run the full image which
already contains CLX.

> If you continue (by typing 'continue'): Ignore the lock and proceed

this is a bug in garnet: they have "(defpackage :COMMON-LISP)" which is
illegal in ANSI CL.
they should have
#-:ansi-cl
in front of it (instead they have #+(or ....) for some implementations,
and this list should include CLISP).

> ;;  Loading file
> /home/andre/clisp-library/local/lib/clisp/clx/clx.lisp ...
this would not happen if you run the full image.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isn't any.

---

From: Andre RENARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 18 23:24:13 2004

Worked. (by the way, for others start the full image with clisp -K 
full). But I am still facing an error:

;;   Loading file 
/home/andre/clisp-library/garnetx/src/gilt/gilt-functions-loader.lisp ...
;;   Loaded file 
/home/andre/clisp-library/garnetx/src/gilt/gilt-functions-loader.lisp
*** - LOAD: A file with name 
/home/andre/clisp-library/garnetx/bin/lapidary/constraint-gadget-loader 
does not exist

Where is the mistake in the garnet-loader file?

Andre

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 19 09:11:06 2004

I just fixed the garnet cvs on SF.
it now works for me OOTB.
-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isn't any.

---

From: Andre RENARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 19 22:56:01 2004

Sam,

I downloaded the cvs files. Modified the garnet-loader file 
[YOUR-GARNET-PATHNAME and (defvar Garnet-Src-Pathname
   (append-directory  Your-Garnet-Pathname "src"))] and ran the 
makefile. But unfortunately, I still got stuck at:

Wrote file /home/andre/garnet/bin/gadgets/option-button.fas
0 errors, 0 warnings
Loading #P"/home/andre/garnet/bin/gadgets/option-button"
Compiling #P"/home/andre/garnet/src/gadgets/popup-menu-button.lisp"
for output to #P"/home/andre/garnet/bin/gadgets/popup-menu-button.fas"

Compiling file /home/andre/garnet/src/gadgets/popup-menu-button.lisp 
...Object LINES-BITMAP
Object DOWNARROW-BITMAP
Object POPUP-MENU-BUTTON
Object POPUPBUTTONMENUPROTO

Wrote file /home/andre/garnet/bin/gadgets/popup-menu-button.fas
0 errors, 0 warnings
Loading #P"/home/andre/garnet/bin/gadgets/popup-menu-button"

*** - nonexistent directory: #P"/home/andre/garnet/src/bitmaps/"

And indeed this directory is not in the cvs. How do you solve this 
problem on your machine?

Andre