Subject: [clisp-list] (no subject)

From: Matthew Gein Cheung <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 14 14:29:08 2002

I'm running Linux Mandrake 8.1 on an old Pentium 133 Mhz and I download
the source for CLISP.  I followed all the installations steps, but when I
got to step 6 which is either enter the command make or the list of makes.
At this point I get an error message saying there is no target and no
makefile found.  If I try makeinit it says test -d bindings || mkdir
bindings.  What is wrong?

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 14 15:56:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] (no subject)"
> * Sent on Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:28:32 -0500 (EST)
> * Honorable Matthew Gein Cheung <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> I'm running Linux Mandrake 8.1 on an old Pentium 133 Mhz and I
> download the source for CLISP.  I followed all the installations
> steps, but when I got to step 6 which is either enter the command make
> or the list of makes.  At this point I get an error message saying
> there is no target and no makefile found.  If I try makeinit it says
> test -d bindings || mkdir bindings.  What is wrong?

too little information.
please unpack the sources in a fresh place and type there

$ ./configure --build build-dir

and report all errors you will get.

thanks.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Please wait, MS Windows are preparing the blue screen of death.

---

From: Russell Senior <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 14 16:44:07 2002

>>>>> "Sam" == Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

Sam> too little information.  please unpack the sources in a fresh
Sam> place and type there

Sam> $ ./configure --build build-dir

Sam> and report all errors you will get.

Sam> thanks.

This is from the CVS repository again (sync'd this afternoon):

   $ ./configure --build /build/clisp --prefix=/packages/development/clisp
   [...]
   gcc -E ari80386.c | grep -v '^#' > ari80386.s
   gcc -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-sign-compare -O2 -fexpensive-optimizations -DUNICODE -DDYNAMIC_FFI -x assembler -c ari80386.s
   gcc -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-sign-compare -O2 -fexpensive-optimizations -DUNICODE -DDYNAMIC_FFI -O0 -c genclisph.c
   In file included from genclisph.d:5:
   lispbibl.d:7092: warning: register used for two global register variables
   cd /src_archive/lang/lisp/clisp/cvs/clisp/ && make -f Makefile.devel src/configure
   make[1]: Entering directory `/aux2/src_archive/lang/lisp/clisp/cvs/clisp'
   cd src ; autoconf/autoconf -A autoconf -l autoconf
   autoconf/autoconf: configure: Permission denied
   make[1]: *** [src/configure] Error 1
   make[1]: Leaving directory `/aux2/src_archive/lang/lisp/clisp/cvs/clisp'
   make: *** [/src_archive/lang/lisp/clisp/cvs/clisp/src/configure] Error 2

Should anything be modifying the source directory tree during a build?
What if it was on read-only media?

-- 
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.        
[email-masked]      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible       
                         profanity, which, translated meant, `This is
                         extremely unusual.' ''

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 14 20:50:04 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] (no subject)"
> * Sent on 14 Mar 2002 16:43:47 -0800
> * Honorable Russell Senior <[email-masked]> writes:
>

what does this have to do with your message?

> This is from the CVS repository again (sync'd this afternoon):

why are you writing this here and not to <clisp-devel> then?

> What if it was on read-only media?

1. you are using a CVS CLISP - a _development_ version.  enough said.
   [or maybe not, it appears that there is too much misunderstanding:
    we _do_ encourage people to use the _development_ version, with the
    hope that they will catch or, better yet, _fix_ bugs.
    nevertheless, if you _are_ using a development version, you are
    expected to understand that you cannot expect a smooth process and
    you will have to use discretion.]

2. every time a configure.in or autoconf/* is changed, configure has to
   be regenerated.  I find it impractical to commit all such
   regenerations right away (since configure has lots of line numbers in
   it, a trivial change in configure.in will result in _huge_ diffs for
   configure)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
XFM: Exit file manager? [Continue] [Cancel] [Abort]