Subject: [clisp-list] CL docs (ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/cl/)

From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Apr 8 20:20:05 2004

I have transfered my inquiries about the CL docs to PARC/Xerox, but
I don't actually know who to get in touch with there.  Anyone have
any contact information for sympathetic folks working at PARC/Xerox.
Or any leads about people there who might know something about legal
issues?

Or who I might ask?

------- Start of forwarded message -------
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/cl/
From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 22:51:53 -0500

Hello -

I heard from Kent Pitman that the draft of the ANSI Common Lisp spec
you are hosting on your FTP site in is "supposed to be" in the
Public Domain.

Is there any chance you know whether the documents actually are in
the public domain, or any more details about their copyright status?

Or who I might ask?

I wrote to the maintainer's address (found in the README file
ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/PARCFTP-README) but my email bounced.

Here is a little more info about why I'm interested in this stuff.

I would like to use the documents, the latest version of which, as I
understand it, are textually identical to the actual standard, to
begin making online documentation for GNU CLISP, and perhaps other
forms of documentation for other Lisp systems.  If you can give me
any more information I would appreciate it.

Joe
------- End of forwarded message -------

---

From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Apr 8 21:00:02 2004

Oh yeah... 

PACKAGE  ---has a---> MAINTAINER

MAINTAINER  ---has a---> NAME

MAINTAINER   ---knows about---> COPYRIGHT-STATUS

NAME ---is contained in--->  README-FILE

CURRENT-EMAIL-ADDRESS ---used for---> CONTACTING-PEOPLE

CONTACTING-PEOPLE ---is opportunity for---> ASKING-QUESTIONS

README-FILE  ---lives in---> TOP-LEVEL-DIRECTORY

CURRENT-EMAIL-ADDRESS ---lives on---> HOMEPAGE

HOMEPAGE ---found via---> GOOGLING-FOR-NAME

... that's a thought!

------- Start of forwarded message -------
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Common Lisp docs!
From: Joe Corneli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 22:25:23 -0500

I found your name in the file

ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/PARCFTP-README

where you are listed as the maintainer of the /pub/cl directory.

I heard from Kent Pitman that the draft of the ANSI Common Lisp spec
on this FTP site is "supposed to be" in the Public Domain.

Do you have any more details about what this means exactly?  Are the
documents really in the public domain? If not, is it reasonable to
think that they could be transfered to the public domain by some
other means than waiting for their copyright to run out?

The reason I'm interested is that I would like to use these
documents to begin making online documentation for GNU CLISP, and
perhaps other forms of documentation for other Lisp systems.

If you can give me any more information about this issue, I would
appreciate it.
------- End of forwarded message -------