Subject: [clisp-list] string-input-streams and crlf conversion

From: Edi Weitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 17:58:09 2003

Sorry for the Perl code but this seems to be the shortest way to
describe my problem:

  edi@bird:/tmp > perl -e 'print "(with-input-from-string (s \"\r\") (print (read-char s))) (quit)"' > foo.lisp
  edi@bird:/tmp > /usr/local/bin/clisp foo.lisp

  #\Newline
  edi@bird:/tmp > /usr/local/bin/cmucl -noinit -quiet -load foo.lisp

  #\Return

I expected CLISP to also return #\Newline. I've read the
implementation notes about encodings and specifically
<http://clisp.sourceforge.net/impnotes/clhs-newline.html> but I
couldn't figure out how to change this behaviour. Or can't I?

Thanks,
Edi.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 19:23:02 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] string-input-streams and crlf conversion"
> * Sent on 06 Jun 2003 02:57:43 +0200
> * Honorable Edi Weitz <[email-masked]> writes:
>

you can't.
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=731952&group_id=1355&atid=351355>
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.clisp.general/6970>
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.clisp.general/4718>

discussion is welcome.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat9 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
When you talk to God, it's prayer; when He talks to you, it's schizophrenia.

---

From: Edi Weitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 7 06:39:02 2003

> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.clisp.general/4718>

Thanks. It's currently not really a problem for me - I use CLISP
mainly for compatibility checking while I develop on CMUCL. I might
have to use binary streams anyway for other reasons.

FYI, of the CL implementations I have on my machine CMUCL, SBCL,
AllegroCL, and ECL all return #\Return while CLISP and LW yield
#\Newline.

Cheers,
Edi.