Subject: Re: [clisp-list] Re: *** - No more room for LISP objects

From: Douglas Philips <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 10 07:02:07 2004

>does this mean no GENERATIONAL_GC?!
><http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/memory-models.html>

>OK, so how much space can CLISP address in TYPECODES and NO_TYPECODES
>modes?

And can these answers (some questions elided) be fed back into that document?

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 10 10:17:11 2004

> * Douglas Philips <[email-masked]> [2004-05-10 10:01:44 -0400]:
>

Bruno, is the following OK?

--- impbyte.xml	06 Feb 2004 11:46:15 -0500	1.44
+++ impbyte.xml	10 May 2004 13:15:59 -0400	
@@ -68,8 +68,19 @@
 
 <section id="memory-models"><title>Memory Models</title>
 
-<para>There are 6 memory models. Which one is used, depends on the
-operating system and is determined at build time.</para>
+<para>There are 6 memory models and 2 object models. Which one is used,
+depends on the operating system and is determined at build time.</para>
+
+<variablelist><title>Object Modes</title>
+<varlistentry><term>TYPECODES</term>
+ <listitem><simpara>Part of the object pointer is used for type bits, which
+   makes type checks faster but results in smaller accessible heap (16MB
+   in 32-bit mode, 4GB in 64-bit mode).</simpara></listitem></varlistentry>
+<varlistentry><term>NO_TYPECODES</term>
+ <listitem><simpara>Allow to address as much heap as the CPU supports,
+   but type check always require dereferencing.
+</simpara></listitem></varlistentry>
+</variablelist>
 
 <variablelist><title>Memory Models</title>
 <varlistentry><term>SPVW_MIXED_BLOCKS_OPPOSITE</term>

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
If I had known that it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.