Subject: [clisp-list] configure and makemake

From: John Murdie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 29 04:02:02 2002

Having read the CLisp `Installation on Unix' document, I'm a little
confused about the install procedure requiring both `configure' and
`makemake' commands before the `make' - almost all other installations
I've done involve only `configure' and `make'. Wouldn't it be possible
in future to simplify the install procedure so that `configure' did
everything? It could still prompt the user to edit the short and long
site name before giving the `make' (or `make install') command.

In particular, where I should give any extra configuration options I
might want as arguments to `configure' or to `makemake'? I wish to
install on Linux under /usr/local/pkg/clisp-2.28 (I don't like
installing packages directly in /usr/local, as I think it obscures the
top-level directories of an ls(1) listing of that.) I tried:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pkg/clisp-2.28

and saw the prompt at the end which recommended:

./makemake  --prefix=/usr/local/pkg/clisp-2.28 --with-readline \
 --with-gettext --with-dynamic-ffi > Makefile

which worked very nicely, if apparently redundantly!

Surely `configure' could record the options behind the scenes and then
make the Makefile itself, leaving me to give only the `make' or `make
install' command?
-- 

John A. Murdie
Experimental Officer (Software)
Department of Computer Science
University of York
England

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 29 07:26:03 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] configure and makemake"
> * Sent on Wed, 29 May 2002 11:59:12 +0100 (BST)
> * Honorable John Murdie <[email-masked]> writes:
>

$ ./configure --build build-dir

will configure and build CLISP in the directory `build-dir'
(it is not recommended to mix the build and source directories)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
To a Lisp hacker, XML is S-expressions with extra cruft.