Subject: [clisp-list] FSF Award Nomination: Bruno Haible

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Sep 7 19:46:02 2002

Please visit <http://www.gnu.org/award/2002/2002.html>
and support nomination of Bruno Haible, the CLISP author.

Subject: Bruno Haible
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 07 Sep 2002 21:17:03 -0400

Bruno Haible has been involved with the Free software movement for
over 15 years.

He is the main force behind GNU CLISP (http://clisp.cons.org),
and he has contributed to GCC (dozens of patches and many more bug
reports, some stemming from GCC being unable to compile CLISP properly)
and GLIBC (hundreds of patches and bug reports).

He worked a lot on bringing Free Software to people who do not speak
English, by creating the GNU libiconv library for converting between
various encodings and by maintaining the GNU gettext (starting with
version 0.11) library for internationalization of programs.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Winword 6.0 UNinstall: Not enough disk space to uninstall WinWord

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Don't use force -- get a bigger hammer.

---

From: Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Sep 9 04:55:03 2002

> and support nomination of Bruno Haible, the CLISP author.

Great. But I don't understand how we can support the nomination. Is there a
way to vote for nominations?

Paolo
-- 
EncyCMUCLopedia * Extensive collection of CMU Common Lisp documentation
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Sep 9 05:57:02 2002

> * In message <V2N7PS=[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] FSF Award Nomination: Bruno Haible"
> * Sent on Mon, 09 Sep 2002 13:48:59 +0200
> * Honorable Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Great. But I don't understand how we can support the nomination.

Just nominate Bruno again, listing all you know about him
(I am sure I missed a lot of his accomplishments).

> Is there a way to vote for nominations?

dunno.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

---

From: Reini Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Sep 15 14:14:02 2002

> (I am sure I missed a lot of his accomplishments).

esp. his early "fight" with rms when bruno wanted to include libreadline 
into clisp. nevertheless he released all his work under the GPL then.
this reminds me on the other famous german, ulrich drepper, who had a 
similar but more severe conflict recently.

personally i doubt if bruno qualifies for freedomfirst 
(http://gnu.org.in/news/freedomfirst.html), better for freedom-at-last.

btw: i did a fine nomination also with some points sam forgot.
-- 
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

---

From: Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Sep 19 02:41:04 2002

> and support nomination of Bruno Haible, the CLISP author.

I wrote to [email-masked], but got the following error:

  save to /com/archive/award-nominations
    generated by [email-masked]
    (ultimately generated from [email-masked])
    mailbox /com/archive/award-nominations has wrong uid (0 != 8):
    retry timeout exceeded

I have notified the postmaster and written again.

Paolo