Subject: [clisp-list] modules update

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 29 11:13:13 2003

1. all modules should use clisp.h, not lispbibl.c
   all modules bundled with CLISP now use clisp.h, including new-clx.
   if there is something in lispbibl.c but not clisp.h (or maybe not
   even in lispbibl, but a static in a C file!) which you are sure you
   do indeed must use, we can export it for you.

2. all modules should use the standard utils/modprep.lisp for
   preprocessing.  no ansidecl, no e2d, no comment5 &c &c &c.
   all modules bundled with CLISP now use utils/modprep.lisp.
   new-clx/e2d.c has been removed, and its features incorporated into
   utils/modprep.lisp.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Lisp: Serious empowerment.

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 29 11:41:08 2003

Not sure if it's a big deal or if it intended, but when I rebuild
CLISP my doing "make" in my build directory, it always recompiles
modules.c and always relinks lisp.run.  If it should not do that then
a dependency may need to be added.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 29 11:48:11 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] modules update"
> * Sent on Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:40:53 -0400
> * Honorable "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]> writes:
>

lisp.run depends on modules.o which depends on clisp.h which depends on
genclisph.d, so when you change genclisph.d you have to rebuild lisp.run.

are you saying that you do "make" and rebuild everything and then
"make" again and _again_ you rebuild everything?!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
A man paints with his brains and not with his hands.

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 29 11:51:07 2003

> "make" again and _again_ you rebuild everything?!

No, just modules.o and lisp.run.

I.e., when I do 

./configure .... --build=mydir

then later when I cd to "mydir" and do repeated makes, without making
any changes, it recompiles modules.c and relinks lisp.run

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 29 13:02:02 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:50:17 -0400

this is weird.
does it then proceed to recompile all *.lisp and re-dump lispinit.mem?
if not, this is a bug in make.
if yes, could you please investigate this?
this does not happen to me, so I cannot debug it.
you need to figure out which make rules are triggered and why.
"make -d" will print more than you will ever want to see, but you can
grep through it...

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 29 13:05:09 2003

> does it then proceed to recompile all *.lisp and re-dump lispinit.mem?

No, but I'll try "make -d" and see what's happening anyway

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 29 13:24:17 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:04:43 -0400

I got you - it re-links full/lisp.run, not base/lisp.run!

I think it has always been like this.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.