Subject: [clisp-list] defpackage - use clos

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:44:55 -0700

(defpackage "SSS" (:use "LISP" #+clisp "CLOS") ...)

I need that clos in order to use the clos stuff in my package.
Why is that?  Shouldn't these things be exported from the lisp
package?

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:54:54 +0200 (MET DST)

Don Cohen asks:
> Why is that?

So that you can use package "PCL" instead of "CLOS" if you like.

> Shouldn't these things be exported from the lisp package?

Not in CLtL1.

If you want to assume ANSI CL behaviour, then you should better use
package "COMMON-LISP" instead of "LISP", because ANSI-CL makes no
claims about package "LISP" but standardizes package "COMMON-LISP".

Bruno

---

From: Hannu Koivisto <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 2000 00:10:59 +0300

[email-masked] (Don Cohen) writes:

| (defpackage "SSS" (:use "LISP" #+clisp "CLOS") ...)

What is going on here is probably that you are confusing LISP
package with COMMON-LISP package, which is especially easy to do if
you have been using CMUCL where COMMON-LISP package has a
non-standard (in a sense that it is not required to have such
nickname; I think the standard allows it to have additional
nicknames, though, so what CMUCL does is ok) nickname LISP in
addition to required nickname CL.  In CLISP there is a completely
separate package called LISP that provides CLtL1/CLtL2 stuff
excluding CLOS.  So what you probably want to do is to say:
(defpackage :sss (:use :common-lisp) ...)

-- 
Hannu