Subject: [clisp-list] standard in/out as binary streams

From: Lennart Staflin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 20:59:37 +0200

Hi,

I would like to some how get a bidirectional stream with element type 
(unsigned-byte 8) connected to the process standard input and output 
(unix file descriptors 0 and 1).

The OS is unix (Linux, Darwin, etc.) and the purpose is to make a server 
that is started by inetd.

Any other ideas how to use CLISP with inetd is also welcome.

//Lennart Staflin

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 12:45:16 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] standard in/out as binary streams"
> * Sent on Sat, 9 Jun 2001 20:59:37 +0200
> * Honorable Lennart Staflin <[email-masked]> writes:
>

I am not sure if it answers your question, but STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE is
setf-able in CLISP, see <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html>.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
The world will end in 5 minutes.  Please log out.

---

From: Lennart Staflin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:31:38 +0200

> setf-able in CLISP, see <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html>.

Yes, possibly. The *terminal-io* stream seems to be the standard in/out, 
but for this
particular stream i get:
*** - (SETF STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE) on #<TERMINAL-STREAM> is illegal

//Lennart

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jun 2001 18:07:06 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] standard in/out as binary streams"
> * Sent on Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:31:38 +0200

this is because you are using a terminal.
if you redirect i/o of your clisp process, you would be able to SETF
STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!