Subject: [clisp-list] Re: 2.27?

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:51:24 +0200 (CEST)

Stig E. Sandoe wrote:

> A slightly unrelated question though, how easy would it be to add support 
> for clisp reading a system-wide config-file (e.g /etc/clisprc) on startup 
> (like ~/.clisprc is read)?  I have currently used a nasty hack to make 
> this work on Debian, but such functionality can be useful for others as 
> well I presume. 

In practice, such system-wide config files (like /etc/profile) have
the property of annoying more users than of being useful to them.

What can /etc/clisprc do that $HOME/.clisprc and saveinitmem cannot?

- If you are a democratic sysadmin or Lisp course teacher, you can
  tell your users or students to create a $HOME/.clisprc containing
  the line

           (load "/etc/clisprc")

- If you are a fascist sysadmin, you can add this line to your users'
  $HOME/.clisprc without asking them. :-)

- If you are a Linux distributor, you can add your stuff to config.lisp
  before building clisp. It will then end up in the memory images
  automatically.

Bruno