Subject: [clisp-list] Problem compiling Clisp 2.28 on HP

From: "A. Nuzzo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 30 11:10:13 2002

I am having a problem compiling Clisp 2.28 on my HP 10.20 system. First
when I
do the configure I get the following error:

...
(cd .libs && rm -f libcallback.la && ln -s ../libcallback.la
libcallback.la)
make: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
make: *** Warning: File `avcall.lo' has modification time in the future
(2002-03-30 09:30:43 > 2002-03-30 09:30:03)
gcc -g -O2 -I. -I../../ffcall/avcall -c ../../ffcall/avcall/minitests.c
cc1: warning: -g is only supported when using GAS on this processor,
cc1: warning: -g option disabled.
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -x none minitests.o
libavcall.la -o minitests
gcc -g -O2 -x none minitests.o -o minitests  ./.libs/libavcall.a
./minitests > minitests.out
uniq -u < minitests.out > minitests.output.hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20
test '!' -s minitests.output.hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20
make: *** [check] Error 1

To continue building CLISP, the following commands are recommended
(cf. unix/INSTALL step 4):
    cd src
    ./makemake  --prefix=/users/artn --with-readline --with-gettext >
Makefile
    make config.lisp
    vi config.lisp
    make
    make check

And this is where it dies when I run the make command:

...
cc -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type
-fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-sign-compare -O2 -fno-strength-reduce
-DUNICODE -c arihppa.s || /usr/ccs/bin/as arihppa.s -o arihppa.o ||
/bin/as arihppa.s -o arihppa.o
arihppa.s: Assembler messages:
arihppa.s:1: Error: Unknown pseudo-op:  `.shortdata'
arihppa.s:8: Error: The .ENTER pseudo-op is not supported
arihppa.s:30: Error: The .LEAVE pseudo-op is not supported
arihppa.s: Assembler messages:
arihppa.s:1: Error: Unknown pseudo-op:  `.shortdata'
arihppa.s:8: Internal error, aborting at targ-cpu.c line 4493
Please report this bug.
/bin/sh: /bin/as:  not found.
make: *** [arihppa.o] Error 127
artn@bs742>

I am using gcc version 3.04  along with the latest GNU make, autoconf,
and binutils to compile it.

Thanks for any help,

Art Nuzzo

[email-masked]

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 30 15:22:25 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Problem compiling Clisp 2.28 on HP"
> * Sent on Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:12:39 -0600
> * Honorable "A. Nuzzo" <[email-masked]> writes:
>

this should be fixed in the CVS.

> make: *** [arihppa.o] Error 127

I think this is a GCC problem, not a CLISP one.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Those who can't write, write manuals.

---

From: Stefan Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 30 17:33:09 2002

Hi,

> > arihppa.s:8: Internal error, aborting at targ-cpu.c line 4493

I would say, this is a problem of the assembler.
When calling cc -c bla.s, which assembler is called on your plattform?
whatever assembler it is, it just simply doesn't know the various
pseudo-ops .shortdata, .ENTER, .LEAVE...

maybe on HPPA, you should not use the binutils (GNU as) but the
assembler supplied by the vendor?? I am not a lawyer, however.

Wait a second...

I have waded through the GNU as - docu:
Have a look at: 
Using as ---> Pseudo Ops --> Machine Dependencies ---> HPPA-dependent
=====
`.enter'
     Not yet supported; the assembler rejects programs containing this
     directive.
======

GNU as and the binutils will not help you. You need the assembler that
is shipped with the system!

> > /bin/sh: /bin/as:  not found.

try 'which as' on your system... 
maybe it is in /usr/bin instead of /bin ?

if you find it, issue the command
<your_system_assembler> arihppa.s -o arihppa.o in your build-directory. 

I have had a look at the arihppa.s file. The comments are in German, I
haven't translated them, yet. The stuff is not compiler-generated. Bruno
has taken a few ideas from another project, as the comments state.
I would assume that the original asm-code was handwritten with the
features of the HPPA-assembler in mind, and not with the subset of
ops and directives that go through GNU-as correctly.

> I think this is a GCC problem, not a CLISP one.

I am not so sure about that. It depends on the point of view, I guess...
:-)

Bye,
Stefan

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 2 00:04:14 2002

> do the configure I get the following error:

I've been looking at clisp on linux hppa and avcall-hppa.s does not assemble 
with modern GNU tools. Try recreating avcall-hppa.s from the C code:

make -f Makefile.devel avcall-hppa.s

Notice that this does bizarre things i.e. it uses sed to replace a constant 
in an extremely unsafe way and for no reason I can understand.

That might be enough. It's not enough on Linux - the avcall stuff is 
completely broken on linux hppa so I am rewriting it. If you have other 
problems getting avcall to pass tests etc. I would be interested to hear.