Subject: [clisp-list] various questions related to clisp

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:48:21 -0700 (PDT)

- what common lisp implementations other than clisp don't have
multithreading - If I donate to clocc something specifically useful
for such implementations is there any point to generalizing it beyond
clisp?

- what's the difference between the clisp license and the GPL?
I see the difference in the text but I'm having a hard time
understanding the implications.

- does clisp run on any machines that support larger than 32 bit
address spaces?  (other than in a mode that restricts it to 32 bit
address space, of course); what are the prospects?
I've been hoping for many years now that something like 64 bit VM
would make ap5 useful for what is now the domain of "real" databases.
Probably the real question is whether the GC will work well for such
cases.  Any ideas?

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:56:34 -0400 (EDT)

>>>>> "Don" == Don Cohen <[email-masked]> writes:

    Don> - what common lisp implementations other than clisp don't have
    Don> multithreading - If I donate to clocc something specifically useful
    Don> for such implementations is there any point to generalizing it beyond
    Don> clisp?

CMUCL has multi-threading only on x86.  I would think all of the
commercial lisps have multi-threading.

Ray

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 19:45:39 +0200 (MET DST)

> understanding the implications.

This is explained in
  http://clisp.sourceforge.net/impnotes.html#app-dev

> address spaces?

Yes. The first 64-bit platform to be supported was Alpha OSF/1 in 1993.

Bruno