Subject: [clisp-list] Typing "()" at CLisp prompt

From: "Thiago F.G. Albuquerque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:22:42 -0200

Hi,

I've noticed that when I type "()" at the CLisp prompt, the cursor moves to
the first bracket. However, when I type another character, say 'a', it is
printed after both brackets, and the cursor comes back to its normal
behaviour. Like this:

>()	; the cursor is now under '('
>()a_	; I typed 'a'

Is this a bug or a feature? Can I turn it off?

__________________________
Thiago

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Feb 2000 11:17:20 -0500

>>>> In message <[email-masked]>
>>>> On the subject of "[clisp-list] Typing "()" at CLisp prompt"
>>>> Sent on Tue Feb 08 03:57:33 EST 2000
>>>> Honorable Thiago F.G. Albuquerque <[email-masked]> writes:
 >> 
 >> I've noticed that when I type "()" at the CLisp prompt, the cursor
 >> moves to the first bracket. However, when I type another character,
 >> say 'a', it is printed after both brackets, and the cursor comes
 >> back to its normal behaviour. Like this:
 >> 
 >> Is this a bug or a feature?

feature, very nice and useful.

CLISP uses GNU readline, which allows you to edit the command line,
retrieve old input, match parentheses and do symbol completion.
Please read the clreadline file in the doc directory.

 >> Can I turn it off?

configure --with-noreadline

next time please specify your version and platform.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
(http://www.linux.org) the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
(lisp programmers do it better)

---

From: "Thiago F.G. Albuquerque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:53:22 -0200

>feature, very nice and useful.

Please forgive my ignorance (I'm new to LISP), but what is it good for?

>configure --with-noreadline

No, I like the rest of the readline features -- I want to disable just this
one. Is it possible?

I use CLISP 1997-12-06 on Linux.

Thanks,
Thiago

---

From: Russell Senior <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Feb 2000 21:13:32 -0800

>>>>> "Thiago" == Thiago F G Albuquerque <[email-masked]> writes:

sds> feature, very nice and useful.

Thiago> Please forgive my ignorance (I'm new to LISP), but what is it
Thiago> good for?

It helps you see where the balancing paren is, and thus helps you to
type the correct number of them.

-- 
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.        
[email-masked]      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible       
                         profanity, which, translated meant, `This is
                         extremely unusual.' ''