Subject: Re:[clisp-list] A general query on the virtual machine

From: lin8080 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 16 11:10:01 2002

Peter Wood wrote:

Is the general consensus that fast, faster, fastest == good, better,
best?   If that is an unconditional judgement, then move to CMUCL.
...................

So, I mean better is: when you can use a command several times and not
only once. When CPUs move over 1 GHz, what priority has
speed-optimizing?

stefan

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 16 13:52:07 2002

>>>>> "lin8080" == lin8080  <[email-masked]> writes:

    lin8080> Peter Wood wrote:
    lin8080> Is the general consensus that fast, faster, fastest == good, better,
    lin8080> best?   If that is an unconditional judgement, then move to CMUCL.
    lin8080> ...................

    lin8080> So, I mean better is: when you can use a command several times and not
    lin8080> only once. When CPUs move over 1 GHz, what priority has
    lin8080> speed-optimizing?

If there were no reason to go faster, there wouldn't be 2+ GHz
processors.

There will always be something that needs the speed.

Ray