Subject: [clisp-list] build problem on Unix, libtool --install run during build ?

From: Marc Espie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:56:18 +0100

As of clisp-2000-03-06 (the version currently in the OpenBSD ports), there
is a build/install mix-up.

The build stage does run 
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install install -c -o root -g bin -m 444
libiconv.la /usr/ports/lang/clisp/work/build-i386/libiconv.la^M
install -c -o root -g bin -m 444 libiconv.la
/usr/ports/lang/clisp/work/build-i386/libiconv.la^M
install: /usr/ports/lang/clisp/work/build-i386/libiconv.la: chown/chgrp:
Operation not permitted^M

This is a big problem: most administrators, and automated build procedures
do assume that build/install stages are separate.

As you can see, trying to install stuff from within build will fail, as
only the install stage proper is run with root rights.

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:13:12 +0100 (MET)

Marc Espie writes:
> libiconv.la /usr/ports/lang/clisp/work/build-i386/libiconv.la

The "-o root -g bin" does not come from clisp. Simple and plain "install"
should work alright.

> do assume that build/install stages are separate.

CLISP's build phase contains a "make install" for some subpackages. This
is required when you use libtool for a subpackage (because you can't
use pathnames like ../libiconv/.libs/libiconv.la).

Bruno

---

From: Marc Espie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:22:50 +0100

> The "-o root -g bin" does not come from clisp. Simple and plain "install"

Well... somehow, it means that clisp would need two notions of install,
because setting INSTALL to something makes sense, but you don't expect it
to be run during the build stage.

> use pathnames like ../libiconv/.libs/libiconv.la).

Then it's probably libtool which has a problem and which would need a
`build-install' or something switch, that doesn't really perform the final
install, but the Right Thing in such a case.

No matter, the info you gave me   just means I know how to work-around that
specific problem for now (perform a make INSTALL=install to override that
setting).