Subject: [clisp-list] clisp on Solaris

From: Tim Bradshaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Sep 18 04:29:02 2002

has anyone has any success getting recent CLISPs to run on Solaris?
2.28 worked for me, 2.29 had some runtime problem, 2.30 fails during
compilation of C code.

I'm using Solaris 7 with gcc 3.1/3.2, I have readline &c though I'm
not sure if it's finding it.  The 2.30 compilation fails in stream.d
muttering about rl_gnu_readline_p.

I'm sorry not to produce a better bug report.  If there's anything
easy I can do I will but I don't have time to spend a lot of time
debugging the system unfortunately.

(Note I'm not subscribed to clisp-list - please cc any responses to me
if I should see them...)

--tim

---

From: Tim Bradshaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Sep 18 06:35:05 2002

> muttering about rl_gnu_readline_p.

In case this happens to anyone else: it seems to be the case that you
need readline 4.3 - I had 4.2 which didn't work.  With 4.3 it builds a
lisp.run which then dies because (I think) the sigsegv library is
missing - it gets an immediate segv which gdb dies when debugging, but
clearly thinks it's in some stack overflow thing.  I'll install the
libraries and try again, another day.

--tim

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Sep 18 06:56:02 2002

> libraries and try again, another day.

If that doesn't work it might be worth trying this patch. It fixes the build 
on Linux/sparc.

--- clisp-2.30.orig/src/lispbibl.d
+++ clisp-2.30/src/lispbibl.d
@@ -636,7 +636,7 @@
 # Global register declarations.
 # They must occur before any system include files define any inline function,
 # which is the case on UNIX_DGUX and UNIX_GNU.
-#if defined(GNU) && !defined(__cplusplus) && !defined(MULTITHREAD) && (SAFETY < 2)
+#if defined(GNU) && !defined(__cplusplus) && !defined(MULTITHREAD) && (SAFETY < 2) && !defined(SPARC)
   # Overview of use of registers in gcc terminology:
   # fixed: mentioned in FIXED_REGISTERS
   # used:  mentioned in CALL_USED_REGISTERS but not FIXED_REGISTERS

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Sep 18 09:52:10 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] clisp on Solaris"
> * Sent on Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:27:49 +0100
> * Honorable Tim Bradshaw <[email-masked]> writes:
>

thanks for your report.

> (Note I'm not subscribed to clisp-list - please cc any responses to me

this discussion will be held on clisp-list only and no CCs can be
promised.

while we do appreciate your bug reports, we also think you should show
your appreciation of our development efforts by subscribing to the
mailing list.

now that almost any mail reader can filter e-mail to various folders
automatically, and, moreover, all clisp mailing lists are available on
gmane, your position appears to me untenable.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

---

From: Tim Bradshaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Sep 18 10:30:03 2002

> this discussion will be held on clisp-list only and no CCs can be

Fine.

> while we do appreciate your bug reports, we also think you should
> show your appreciation of our development efforts by subscribing to
> the mailing list.

> automatically, and, moreover, all clisp mailing lists are available
> on gmane, your position appears to me untenable.

Thanks for telling me how to live my life, it's useful to know these
things.

--tim

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Sep 18 13:52:03 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] clisp on Solaris"
> * Sent on Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:28:56 +0100

I was not telling you how to live your life.
I was saying that, with all due respect,
we[1] consider your request unreasonable.
There is not need to get rude.

[1] I say "we" because someone else ignored your request and posted to
the list only _before_ I sent my reply.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

---

From: Tim Bradshaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Sep 19 03:32:02 2002

* Sam Steingold wrote:
> I was not telling you how to live your life.  I was saying that,
> with all due respect, we[1] consider your request unreasonable.

I think that asking that I `show respect to the developers' by
subscribing and `considering my position untenable' is pretty bloody
rude actually.

I'm just a clisp user.  I use about 40-50 other systems too, most of
them much more than clisp.  I report bugs in them too, because I think
it's kind of useful to do this. Should I subscribe to their mailing
lists?  do you have *any idea* how much mail I would get if I did?
The only thing I could possibly do is to throw it all away, thus doing
nothing but using network bandwidth and disk space to no good effect.
Do you think the maintainers of these other systems tell me to `show
respect to them' by subscribing to their mailing lists when I submit
bug reports?

Well, I've solved my clisp problem with rm -rf, so you won't have the
inconvenience of any further bug reports from me.

--tim

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Sep 19 06:46:03 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:30:45 +0100

Hmmm...
I consider sending e-mail to a mailing list asking for CC to be quite
rude too - and I think I am not alone in that.
Maybe we both were having a bad day? :-)

> it's kind of useful to do this.
> Should I subscribe to their mailing lists?

probably.

> do you have *any idea* how much mail I would get if I did?

Yes. 

> nothing but using network bandwidth and disk space to no good effect.

not necessarily.
Both network bandwidth and disk space are irrelevant, they are very
cheap these days.
The only thing that matters is your (and our!) time.
For that we have gnus and gmane:
you could either subscribe to <clisp-list> and filter it to a clisp
mailbox and then read only replies to your messages or
you could go to gmane and read <clisp-list> via NNTP.

> respect to them' by subscribing to their mailing lists when I submit

Did you ask them to CC you the replies?

> inconvenience of any further bug reports from me.

I am sorry to hear this.
I do not think this is something anyone would wish for.

Farewell.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Let us remember that ours is a nation of lawyers and order.

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Sep 19 07:36:05 2002

> subscribing and `considering my position untenable' is pretty bloody

The best way to do this is to set the Mail-FollowUp-To: header, then these 
arguments don't tend to happen.