Subject: [clisp-list] clisp 2.33.2 -- No FFI possible

From: "Dr. Werner Fink" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 24 09:22:02 2004

Hi,

if I try to build clisp 2.33.2 on IA64 I get

--------------------------------------------------------------------
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/clisp-2.33.2/ia64-suse-linux/avcall'
./minitests > minitests.out
make[1]: *** [check] Error 139
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/clisp-2.33.2/ia64-suse-linux/avcall'
make: *** [avcall.h] Error 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------

which is simply a SIGSEGV. I've tried to generate a new avcall-ia64.s with

  gcc -D__ia64__  -S avcall-ia64.c -o avcall-ia64.s

and tried again. Now it dies with

--------------------------------------------------------------------
./minitests > minitests.out
LC_ALL=C uniq -u < minitests.out > minitests.output.ia64-unknown-linux-gnu
test '!' -s minitests.output.ia64-unknown-linux-gnu
--------------------------------------------------------------------

a simple `cat minitests.output.ia64-unknown-linux-gnu' shows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
J f(J,int,J):({47,11},2,{73,55})->{120,68}
J f(J,int,J):({47,11},2,{6917546619827102344,73})->{6917546619827102391,86}
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried both gcc version 3.3.4 and 3.3.3, same result.

How this can be fixed.  Only to get not only FFI but also
bindings/glibc, postgresql, and wildcard modules back into clisp ;^)

      Werner

-- 
  "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having
          a peeing section in a swimming pool." -- Edward Burr

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 24 16:00:00 2004

> if I try to build clisp 2.33.2 on IA64 I get

This was broken in 2.32 and newer, if that is of any help.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 25 08:19:11 2004

> * Dr. Werner Fink <[email-masked]> [2004-06-24 18:21:10 +0200]:
>

this might be related to
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=952681&group_id=1355&atid=101355>
apparently, 64-bit FFCALL is not quite ready.

> bindings/glibc, postgresql, and wildcard modules back into clisp ;^)

at least
      syscalls
      regexp
      pcre
      berkeley-db
      clx
      dirkey
still work, right?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
main(a){printf(a,34,a="main(a){printf(a,34,a=%c%s%c,34);}",34);}

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 25 11:21:04 2004

On Friday 25 Jun 2004 16:18, Sam Steingold wrote:
> <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=952681&group_id=1
>355&atid=101355> apparently, 64-bit FFCALL is not quite ready.

The amd64 and alpha stuff seems to work OK. It doesn't crash at least.