Subject: [clisp-list] locale on Darwin?

From: Pascal J.Bourguignon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 1 23:27:08 2004

With clisp 2.32, on Linux:

$ env|grep LC_
LC_MONETARY=es_ES
LC_NUMERIC=en_US
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR
LC_TIME=en_US
$ alias clisp
alias clisp='/usr/local/bin/clisp -ansi -q -K full -m 128M -I -Efile ISO-8859-1 -Eterminal ISO-8859-1'
$ clisp
;; Loading file /home/pascal/.clisprc.lisp ...
[1]> (map nil (lambda (x) (format t "~30A = ~S~%" x (eval x)))
      '( CUSTOM:*DEFAULT-FILE-ENCODING* SYSTEM::*HTTP-ENCODING* 
         CUSTOM:*MISC-ENCODING* CUSTOM:*PATHNAME-ENCODING* 
         CUSTOM:*TERMINAL-ENCODING*)) 
*DEFAULT-FILE-ENCODING*        = #<ENCODING CHARSET:ISO-8859-1 :UNIX>
*HTTP-ENCODING*                = #<ENCODING CHARSET:UTF-8 :DOS>
*MISC-ENCODING*                = #<ENCODING CHARSET:ISO-8859-1 :UNIX>
*PATHNAME-ENCODING*            = #<ENCODING CHARSET:ISO-8859-1 :UNIX>
*TERMINAL-ENCODING*            = #<ENCODING CHARSET:ISO-8859-1 :UNIX>
[2]> (ext:quit)
$ ls -d /usr/share/locale/fr*
/usr/share/locale/fr/  /usr/share/locale/fr_FR/

On Darwin:

$ env|grep LC_
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_TIME=en_US
LC_NUMERIC=en_US
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR
LC_MONETARY=es_ES
LC_COLLATE=C
$ alias clisp
alias clisp='/usr/local/bin/clisp -ansi -q -K full -m 128M -I -Efile ISO-8859-1 -Eterminal ISO-8859-1'
$ clisp
WARNING: locale: no encoding FR_FR, using UTF-8
;; Loading file /Users/pascal/.clisprc.lisp ...
[1]> (map nil (lambda (x) (format t "~30A = ~S~%" x (eval x))) 
      '( CUSTOM:*DEFAULT-FILE-ENCODING* SYSTEM::*HTTP-ENCODING* 
         CUSTOM:*MISC-ENCODING* CUSTOM:*PATHNAME-ENCODING* 
         CUSTOM:*TERMINAL-ENCODING*))
*DEFAULT-FILE-ENCODING*        = #<ENCODING CHARSET:ISO-8859-1 :UNIX>
*HTTP-ENCODING*                = #<ENCODING CHARSET:UTF-8 :DOS>
*MISC-ENCODING*                = #<ENCODING CHARSET:UTF-8 :UNIX>
*PATHNAME-ENCODING*            = #<ENCODING CHARSET:UTF-8 :UNIX>
*TERMINAL-ENCODING*            = #<ENCODING CHARSET:ISO-8859-1 :UNIX>
NIL
[2]> (ext:quit)
$ ls -d /usr/share/locale/fr*
/usr/share/locale/fr/                    /usr/share/locale/fr_CH/
/usr/share/locale/fr_BE/                 /usr/share/locale/fr_CH.ISO8859-1/
/usr/share/locale/fr_BE.ISO8859-1/       /usr/share/locale/fr_CH.ISO8859-15/
/usr/share/locale/fr_BE.ISO8859-15/      /usr/share/locale/fr_FR/
/usr/share/locale/fr_CA/                 /usr/share/locale/fr_FR.ISO8859-1/
/usr/share/locale/fr_CA.ISO8859-1/       /usr/share/locale/fr_FR.ISO8859-15/
/usr/share/locale/fr_CA.ISO8859-15/

Why this warning?  
WARNING: locale: no encoding FR_FR, using UTF-8

Why does it choose to use UTF-8?

-- 
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't
want merely because you think it would be good for him.--Robert Heinlein
http://www.theadvocates.org/

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 2 07:40:21 2004

> WARNING: locale: no encoding FR_FR, using UTF-8

Darwin has particularly poor i18n support, and needs extra support in programs
like clisp. I have now copied the support from GNU libiconv to clisp. So
the problem should be fixed in clisp 2.33.

Bruno