Subject: [clisp-list] CLISP Oracle library available

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Sep 7 20:35:02 2002

A while back, I mentioned I would be developing a CLISP module that
allowed you to access Oracle databases from CLISP.  A first release of
that is ready and available at http://clisp.alma.com

I would very much like anyone interested to try to at least build it.
I've only tested it with Linux.  I think there was a Solaris user out
there who wanted to use it.

The module provides a rich set of features that can be used for Oracle
applications both simple and sophisticated.  The highlights are:

        - Source code avaiable under the GNU General Public License

        - Full access to most Oracle functionality, including all
          functions accessible via SQL

        - Complete error reporting, including pass-through of
          Oracle error messages and identification of the
          location of SQL parse errors

        - Support for transactions (WITH-TRANSACTION macro)

        - Auto-commit feature that commits database results to
          simplify applications that are not transaction intensive.
          
        - Automatic mapping of Oracle data types to and from
          Lisp data types (string, fixnum, bignum, NULL, etc.)

        - Convenient constructs for database inserts and updates

        - Constructs for looping over SELECT query results:
          a DO-ROWS macro, and a one-row lookahead buffer, useful
          for formatting reports at "breaks" in data streams.

        - Support for multiple, simultaneous connections to
          the same database or different databases

        - Connection caching, allowing re-used of previously
          established database connections, to minimize overhead

Thanks in advance for any comments or feedback you may have.

---
John Hinsdale, Alma Mater Software, Inc., Tarrytown, NY 10591-3710 USA
[email-masked] | http://www.alma.com/staff/hin | +1 914 631 4690