Subject: [clisp-list] Gmane access to Clisp lists.

From: Peter Burwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 14 11:26:01 2002

Hi,

I came across Gmane today <http://gmane.org/> which is GNU Mail to News and
back again. This provides a news like interface to lots of mailing lists and
includes the Clisp mailing lists.

Fair enough so far.

However, there is a webserver i/f to the mailing lists that is freely
accessible and does not hide email addresses. So, I find that my email
address is exposed quite widely. See
 <http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.lisp.clisp.general>

Well, that's not so good. I get enough spam as it is and how long before the
spammers harvest from Gmane?

I suppose this email should be sent to them, but I presume someone asked for
Gmane to mirror the Clisp lists. While Gmane exposes email addresses, I
think Clisp lists should not appear via Gmane.

Until I know the situation I shall not contact Gmane directly. Can that
whoever ask for the lists to appear with email address removed, much like
they do when accessed via sourceforge?

Thanks,
Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 16 06:36:24 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Gmane access to Clisp lists."
> * Sent on 14 Apr 2002 19:24:31 +0100
> * Honorable Peter Burwood <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> I suppose this email should be sent to them, but I presume someone
> asked for Gmane to mirror the Clisp lists.

I did not ask them, but I appreciate them making clisp lists more
available.

I get plenty of spam and I do not think that e-mail hiding helps.

If you wish, you may contact them and ask to hide e-mails.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.palestine-central.com/> <http://www.mideasttruth.com/>
Lisp suffers from being twenty or thirty years ahead of time.