Subject: [clisp-list] New High Performance Rink System Installed In Washington State

From: "Arena-Watch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Oct 3 21:20:04 2002

New Lynnwood Ice Rink Reopens In 
September With New High Performance Rink 
System

LYNNWOOD -- A new ice arena will open in Lynnwood Sept. 15, about four
months after the SnoKing 
Ice Arena closed. Washington Ice Skating Association, which owns both the
former SnoKing rink and 
the Olympicview private ice rink in Mountlake Terrace, is remodeling and
reopening the rink as the 
Lynnwood Ice Center. 

The new ice center will be in the renovated SnoKing building at 19803 68th
Ave. W. After 20-plus 
years of being open to the public, the SnoKing Ice Arena closed suddenly
at the end of March. Former 
SnoKing manager Doug Stewart said they left because "we leased the land
and building, and it wasn't 
economically feasible to continue it that way." Stewart said SnoKing owner
Lexi Doner tried to get the 
association to lower the rent and remodel it, but it didn't happen. Doner
decided to close SnoKing. 
Doner, now owner of the Kent Valley Ice Centre, wasn't available for
comment. In the meantime, plans 
were made by association board members to renovate the old rink and make
it "safer and more 
enjoyable place for families and youth to come to," Lynnwood Ice Center
general manager Kevin 
Urbanski said. 

Upgrades to the facility ice rink system includes a new high performance
TurboChiller refrigeration 
system complete with an advanced microprocessor control system, new sand
base rink floor system, 
professional steel framed dasher board system, and dehumidification
system. The ice rink system was 
provided by Burley’s Rink Supply of Johnstown, PA.  - www.burleys.com. “It
was great to have this 
opportunity to work with WISA once again after installing their Mt. Lake
Terrace Complex some years 
ago.  They will be very happy with advancements made with our TurboChiller
system and the 
exceptional energy performance it provides over other ice making systems.
This owner also wanted to 
changed from a dangerous ammonia system to a much safer environmentally
stable halocarbon 
refrigerant.” said John Burley. “Many complexes installing ammonia systems
today are not being 
installed in accordance with United States codes”. Many Canadian companies
are promoting 
ammonia systems without knowing, or properly advising owners, of all true
code compliance issues 
required to have a safe system. This is very troublesome since ammonia is
highly toxic and flammable 
and is very dangerous if not installed in compliance with the code. There
have been more than one ice 
rink mechanical room destroyed by ammonia explosions.”

WISA hired Seattle based construction specialist Ken Clark of Development
Services to provide 
coordination and project manage services.  Mr. Clark has become someone of
an expert in arena 
construction activities having spearheaded almost a half a dozen projects
in recent years and 
consulted on many more. 

Ryan General Construction provided all construction services. Ryan also
helped round out the circle of 
experienced contractors since Ryan has been involved with previous ice
rink projects such as the 
Castle Ice complex finished last year in Renton, Washington.  John Burley
said “ it is great working with 
the combination of talent we had on this project. Both Ken and Peter know
these types of projects well 
and make the most adverse construction obstacle easy to overcome. And,
since renovations take 
some extra effort and experience, it was great to have them on this
project.” 

Mr. Ken Clark of Development Services can be contacted at 206-236-2756.
Mr. Peter Meyer of Ryan Construction can be reached at 425-488-4489.
Mr. John Burley of Burley’s Rink Supply can be reached at 1-800-428-7539.

The new center is a non-profit organization, said Ric Newgard, executive
director of Seattle Junior 
Hockey and secretary/treasurer for the association. The association is
made up of the Seattle Skating 
Association and Seattle Junior Hockey. Both are non-profit groups that
make their money through 
bingo halls in Edmonds and Mountlake Terrace, and pull tab games offered
in connection with the 
Silver Dollar Casino on 220th Street SW in Mountlake Terrace. The new ice
center has a new ice 
surface, lobby, pro shop with new skates and a snack bar. The renovation
has added a birthday room, 
an arcade, a DJ music booth for weekend youth events and special lighting.
The parking lot is more 
open, bright and safe, Urbanski added.