Subject: Re: [clisp-list] Problems building on m68k-apple-NetBSD1.5.1

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Sep 10 06:40:03 2001

Alexander Klein wrote:

> 1. 'Checking for working mmap' blew up the machine with a kernel
> panic, the workaround was to set an environment variable indicating
> that mmap doesn't work.

I thought Douglas Crosher had fixed the NetBSD mmap (around NetBSD
0.9, ca. 1993), so he could run clisp. Has it been broken again?!

Sam:
> this should be reported to the autoconf maintainers (I think)

No, the mmap autoconf macro that clisp uses doesn't come from the
autoconf maintainers. It comes from me, and it tests realistically
the way clisp will use mmap if it finds it.

Alexander Klein:
> 2. Later on, the configure script called a program 'minitests' that seemed
> to run fine ... but then died with a segfault.

The configuration should continue after that. If it doesn't, you still
have that broken BSD /bin/sh. Set the environment variable
CONFIG_SHELL to /bin/bash (and export it) before re-running the clisp
configuration in a freshly unpacked directory.

Bruno

---

From: Alexander Klein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Sep 10 13:38:01 2001

Hi,

>0.9, ca. 1993), so he could run clisp. Has it been broken again?!

I don't know. I've heard more complaints about mmap.

Could the crash be due to the machine being low on physical memory (20MB
real, 80MB total)?

I got the following limits in csh:

datasize 32MB
stacksize 2MB
memoryuse 15168kB

Increasing them did, however, not help. Additionaly, I tried it with
my_size set to 4096, and my_limit(?) reduced to 32 and then 16, but that
wouldn't work, either.

Oddly enough, when 'executing src/gettext/configure', this runs its own
'checking for working mmap' which runs fine giving 'yes' as the result.

>Set the environment variable

I tried that, too, compiled bash-2.05, and the thing still dies with a
segfault and error code 139.

I wish I had better news. :(

Thank you still.

	Alex