Subject: [clisp-list] :PC386 feature

From: "Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 26 00:53:06 2002

While we're at it:

:PC386 is not in the *features* list of my build (MS-VC):

(:CLOS :LOOP :COMPILER :CLISP :ANSI-CL :COMMON-LISP :LISP=CL :INTERPRETER
 :SOCKETS :GENERIC-STREAMS :LOGICAL-PATHNAMES :SCREEN :FFI :UNICODE
 :BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER :SYSCALLS :DIR-KEY :WIN32)

According to impnotes, it should: "if hardware = PC (clone) with a 386/486/586/686 CPU".

BTW, I just went to cliki and added a little about CLISP's *features* list.
http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Features

is #define WIN32 => #define PC386 ok for now?
How to detect a WIN32 not on Intel? Is there CLISP for MS-Windows on alpha??

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 26 07:39:05 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] :PC386 feature"
> * Sent on Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:51:49 +0200
> * Honorable "Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> While we're at it:
> 

who uses this feature?  what is it for?  can it be removed?
Right now it is not used by CLISP, and it does not even conform to the
docs (on linux/i386 :PC386 is present even though on a :UNIX hardware is
supposed to be irrelevant.)

Bruno, could you please comment on what this feature is for?

> http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Features
thanks!

> is #define WIN32 => #define PC386 ok for now?

I am not sure what you mean, but I think that :PC386 should _not_ be
there on linux/i386 but _should_ be there on w32/i386 (if we actually
get to keep this feature on the *FEATURES* list).

> How to detect a WIN32 not on Intel? Is there CLISP for MS-Windows on alpha??

win32 support for non-Intel platforms has been dropped by MS many years ago.
why would _we_ support MS systems that MS does not support?!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.palestine-central.com/> <http://www.mideasttruth.com/>
There is an exception to every rule, including this one.

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 26 08:32:29 2002

Sam writes:

> who uses this feature?  what is it for?

It is used to declare availability of typical PC facilities, like a
console with a graphics mode that differs from the text mode, or a
keyboard with function keys F1..F12. Things which are orthogonal to
the OS.

> can it be removed?

I don't see the point of removing hardware indicators from *features*.

> Right now it is not used by CLISP

Applications of the SCREEN package need it.

> (on linux/i386 :PC386 is present even though on a :UNIX hardware is

Even on Unix, the availability of F1..F12 is important enough.

> > is #define WIN32 => #define PC386 ok for now?

Yes. Up to now, Woe32 runs only on x86 compatible processors. If Woe32
ever gets ported to IA-64, the machines on which it will run will
likely have a PC compatible hardware.

Bruno