Subject: [clisp-list] newbie question re modules, esp CLX

From: "Brooks, Rupert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:14:09 -0400

Hi,

If this turns out to be a dumb question, I'm sorry.  I have dug through the
docs, and read the faq and I haven't found what I need.  

I have downloaded and installed the binary distribution of CLISP for Solaris
2.6.  I would like to use the CLX and PostgreSQL modules.  CLISP is working
correctly, but is installed under my home directory, not /usr/local.

CLX seems to be included, but I can't get the makefile to work correctly.
It fails with the message:

make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `defsystem.lsp'

PostgreSQL does not seem to be there.

I have a number of questions...

What am I doing wrong, that I cannot compile the CLX?

What does clisp-link really do?  Am I only supposed to run it once, or every
time I need to use CLX?

Where can I get the PostgreSQL module?  Are there other database modules
available? (Oracle, MySql, etc)

Thanks in advance

Rupert Brooks
National Atlas of Canada

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Apr 2000 17:48:26 -0400

>>>> In message <2951561DB3DDD0118FEC00805FFE980503BB46CC@s5-ccr-r1>
>>>> On the subject of "[clisp-list] newbie question re modules, esp CLX"
>>>> Sent on Wed Apr 05 14:12:27 EDT 2000
>>>> Honorable "Brooks, Rupert" <[email-masked]> writes:
 >> 

the PostgreSQL module uses the C libraries - do you have PostgreSQL
installed on your solaris machine?

 >> Where can I get the PostgreSQL module?  Are there other database
 >> modules available? (Oracle, MySql, etc)

clisp includes socket interface, so if you can connect to the database
via a socket, you are there already.
that said, you might want to visit :
http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/MaiSQL.html
http://www.chez.com/emarsden/
ftp://amirani.hit.uib.no/sql-odbc/

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
(http://www.linux.org) the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
The program isn't debugged until the last user is dead.