Subject: [clisp-list] [Q] Getting a list of directories?

From: Jos'h Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 25 10:18:59 2003

Hi!

Is it possible to get a list of the directories in a particular directory?
If I use (directory) I just get a list of files. I have searched the CLHS,
CLISP implementation notes and Google with no dice.

Barring this, is there any kind of operating system interface in CLISP,
something similar to Python's os.system() or os.popen()?

I'm using CLISP 2.30 on Linux. I'm trying to build an web-based file
lister interface. So far it's doing everything right except showing
subdirectories!

Thanks!

Jos'h

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 25 10:42:02 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] [Q] Getting a list of directories?"
> * Sent on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
> * Honorable Jos'h Fuller <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Is it possible to get a list of the directories in a particular
> directory?  If I use (directory) I just get a list of files. I have
> searched the CLHS, CLISP implementation notes and Google with no dice.

<http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/files.html#dir>

> Barring this, is there any kind of operating system interface in
> CLISP, something similar to Python's os.system() or os.popen()?

<http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/shell.html>

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat9 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
If it has syntax, it isn't user friendly.

---

From: Jos'h Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 25 11:04:11 2003

Hi!

> <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/shell.html>

I _really_ did go through the implementation notes... But I didn't see
this stuff at _all_. I guess I got sidetraced on the directory LDAP stuff.

Thanks very much for your quick response... I was going to have to scrap
the thing and go with Python. Can you tell I'm new at this?

Jos'h

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 25 11:29:11 2003

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [Q] Getting a list of directories?"
> * Sent on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:03:33 -0400 (EDT)
> Thanks very much for your quick response...
you are very welcome.

> I was going to have to scrap the thing and go with Python.

CLISP possible weaknesses are not a good reason to switch to an
interpreted language with syntactic whitespace which is defined by a
unique implementation.  (<http://www.podval.org/~sds/tool.html>)

Other Common Lisp implementations, like CMUCL, SBCL, GCL, ECL &c, are
better alternatives if you feel that CLISP is lacking.

It might be a good idea to check out CLOCC/PORT (http://clocc.sf.net,
<http://www.podval.org/~sds/data/port.html>) and use it to avoid
becoming locked in a specific Common Lisp implementation.

> Can you tell I'm new at this?

OTOH, if you are really new to CL, it might be better to stick to one
implementation and use get used to it...

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat9 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 26 01:17:11 2003

> unique implementation.  (<http://www.podval.org/~sds/tool.html>)

Not to be a pedant, but there are two implementations of Python with a third 
in the works (Python (C), Jython (Java), PyPy (Python)). Python and Jython 
also byte compile code.

---

From: Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 26 07:53:40 2003

> in the works (Python (C), Jython (Java), PyPy (Python)). Python and 

Which only proves that entropy is increasing.  :)

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti
NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group		tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
715 Broadway 10th FL				fax. +1 - 212 - 998 3484
New York, NY, 10003, U.S.A.