Subject: [clisp-list] CLISP segfaults when loading parts of CLLIB?

From: [email-masked] (Fabricio Chalub)
Date: Sun Oct 6 09:21:02 2002

When loading CLLIB, CLISP 2.30 segfaults on a Debian GNU/Linux with
375Mb of memory, unlimited stack size.  Can anyone reproduce this with
Debian or other OSes?

I've tried this with the latest CLISP package from Debian/unstable, so
it could be a problem specific to that version.

This happens under a standard (latest CVS) CLOCC installation, by
running (MK:OOS 'CLLIB 'LOAD) in CLISP.

I tried loading the files individually, and some crash, others don't.
log.lisp is one, rng.lisp also dies horribly.

[1]> (load (translate-logical-pathname "clocc:src;cllib;rng"))
;; Loading file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/cllib/rng.fas ...
;;  Loading file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/cllib/base.fas ...
;;   Loading file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/port/ext.fas ...
;;   Loaded file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/port/ext.fas
;;   Loading file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/port/sys.fas ...
;;    Loading file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/port/path.fas ...
;;    Loaded file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/port/path.fas
;;   Loaded file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/port/sys.fas
;;  Loaded file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/cllib/base.fas
;;  Loading file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/cllib/withtype.fas ...
;;  Loaded file /home/fc/werk/lisp/clocc/clocc/src/cllib/withtype.fas
*** - handle_fault error2 ! address = 0x2045313C not in [0x20204000,0x203BCC48) !
SIGSEGV cannot be cured. Fault address = 0x2045313C.
Segmentation fault

Strangely, on the particular case of log.lisp, when I do a

(load (translate-logical-pathname "clocc:src;cllib;log"))

under CLISP's prompt, it loads fine.  When I put it into .CLISPRC it
crashes.

Thanks!

fc
-- 
http://raw.no-ip.com/~fc/

---

From: [email-masked] (Fabricio Chalub)
Date: Sun Oct 6 11:20:02 2002

> log.lisp is one, rng.lisp also dies horribly.

Hmm ... this behaviour is erratic on individual CLLIB files.  The
problem can be safely reproduced on my system using MK:OOS 'CLLIB 'LOAD
only.  Tried both 2.4.19-ac4 and 2.5.40 kernel versions.

fc

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Oct 7 08:16:12 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Re: CLISP segfaults when loading parts of CLLIB?"
> * Sent on 06 Oct 2002 15:10:40 -0300
> * Honorable [email-masked] (Fabricio Chalub) writes:
>

Since I cannot reproduce this behavior (with the current CVS), I will
need your extensive help in debugging this.
are you willing to do some heavy-duty gdb GC debugging?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep.

---

From: [email-masked] (Fabricio Chalub)
Date: Mon Oct 7 19:34:07 2002

OK, this sounds more like a bug related to the Debian package
(clisp-2.30-4).  I rebuilt the package (apt-get --compile source clisp)
to no avail. 

When using the latest CLISP CVS checkout, compiled with gcc-2.95 and
gcc-3.2 (with/without debugging), everything goes smoothly.

fc

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 8 05:51:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on 07 Oct 2002 23:24:22 -0300

Great news!!!
Please report this to the CLISP Debian maintainers (Will Newton).
He is extraordinarily competent, and I am sure he can handle this.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Bill Gates is not god and Microsoft is not heaven.