Subject: RE: [clisp-list] GUI in CLISP; problem compiling Garnet...

From: bernard URBAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:29:00 GMT

Thibault Langlois writes:

   >>>  About GUI and CLISP...

   >>>  I have a problem compiling garnet with clisp-2000-03-09.
   >>>  I am using the original garnet source found in the garnet project web page. 

   >>>  I have looked at the garnet30.clisp.tar.gz files. The visible
   >>>  difference between that version and the original one is the file
   >>>  extension (.lsp vs .lisp) which is no longer a problem for
   >>>  clisp. Another change is the renaming of the lisp and user packages
   >>>  that is done in the garnet-loader.lisp file. I have made that change
   >>>  and use the original garnet source.

   >>>  I am sending this message to this list because I think the problem is
   >>>  a clisp problem, not a garnet problem.

        [...]

   >>>  Anybody can help me ?

   >>>  Thanks for your time.

   >>>  Thibault Langlois

   >>>  PS: I use :

   >>>  (lisp-implementation-version) -> "2000-03-09 (March 2000)"
   >>>  with new-clx module on a gnu/linux RedHat 6.0 system (intel) 
             ^^^^^^^

This may be your problem. With mit-clx, I can compile and load Garnet
without problem.

-- 

B. Urban

---

From: Eric Marsden <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 2000 12:35:24 +0200

>>>>> "bu" == bernard URBAN <[email-masked]> writes:

  tl> (lisp-implementation-version) -> "2000-03-09 (March 2000)"
  tl> with new-clx module on a gnu/linux RedHat 6.0 system (intel) 

  bu> This may be your problem. With mit-clx, I can compile and load
  bu> Garnet without problem.

actually, I have the opposite problem: Garnet more-or-less works with
nclx but not at all with mit-clx. Here is a message I sent here in
March: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 
It doesn't work correctly with CLISP: with nclx it seems to miss some
refresh events (windows sometimes stay undrawn), and the logo in the
demos section doesn't display in color. It doesn't work at all with
mit-clx (nor indeed do basic CLX demos): there are problems with setf
functions being hidden by setf-expanders:

when loading garnet:

  WARNING:
  The function (SETF XLIB:GCONTEXT-FUNCTION) is hidden by a SETF expander.
  WARNING:
  The function (SETF XLIB:GCONTEXT-FOREGROUND) is hidden by a SETF expander.
  WARNING:
  The function (SETF XLIB:GCONTEXT-BACKGROUND) is hidden by a SETF expander.
  [...]

then when running:

  *** - FUNCALL: the function #:|(SETF XLIB:WINDOW-PLIST)| is undefined

I think the problem is in the mit-clx/depdefs.lsp:def-clx-class macro,
which seems to be emulating CLOS with structures, but it's too hairy
for me to understand.

[CLISP 2000-03-06 and garnet-3.0.clisp]
 
-- 
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden>

---

From: Thibault Langlois <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 14:41:22 +0100

I'm glad to see I am not the only one to use garnet these days...!

| >>>>> "bu" == bernard URBAN <[email-masked]> writes:
| 
|   tl> (lisp-implementation-version) -> "2000-03-09 (March 2000)"
|   tl> with new-clx module on a gnu/linux RedHat 6.0 system (intel) 
| 
|   bu> This may be your problem. With mit-clx, I can compile and load
|   bu> Garnet without problem.
| 
| actually, I have the opposite problem: Garnet more-or-less works with
| nclx but not at all with mit-clx. Here is a message I sent here in
| March: 
| 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 
| It doesn't work correctly with CLISP: with nclx it seems to miss some
| refresh events (windows sometimes stay undrawn), and the logo in the
| demos section doesn't display in color. It doesn't work at all with
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This may be caused by a problem with "true-color" screen support. This 
problem is fixed in Fred Gilham <[email-masked]>'s version
(thanks to Paolo for this information. It did not solved my problem
with clisp but it did solve the color problem.)

url:  ftp://ftp.csl.sri.com/pub/users/gilham/garnet/

In this version (maybe it should be called garnet-3.0.x) the pixmap
problem is partially solved. Garnet was not able to load pixmaps with 
depth > 8. Now It displays correctly the first half of the pixmap!

| mit-clx (nor indeed do basic CLX demos): there are problems with setf
| functions being hidden by setf-expanders:

Actually I am using garnet with allegro, this was my first try with 
nclx/clisp. I will try mit-clx and see if I get the same problem.

| 
| when loading garnet:
| 
|   WARNING:
|   The function (SETF XLIB:GCONTEXT-FUNCTION) is hidden by a SETF expander.
|   WARNING:
|   The function (SETF XLIB:GCONTEXT-FOREGROUND) is hidden by a SETF expander.
|   WARNING:
|   The function (SETF XLIB:GCONTEXT-BACKGROUND) is hidden by a SETF expander.
|   [...]
| 
| then when running:
| 
|   *** - FUNCALL: the function #:|(SETF XLIB:WINDOW-PLIST)| is undefined
| 
| 
| I think the problem is in the mit-clx/depdefs.lsp:def-clx-class macro,
| which seems to be emulating CLOS with structures, but it's too hairy
| for me to understand.
| 

Thibault Langlois

---

From: Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 21:12:22 +0200

[...]
> This may be your problem. With mit-clx, I can compile and load Garnet

One of the main design goals of NCLX was Garnet compatibility.

Paolo
-- 
EncyCMUCLopedia * Extensive collection of CMU Common Lisp documentation
http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/