Subject: [clisp-list] screen-editor?

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:29:17 +0200

Hi

The manual page mentions a built-in screen editor (under the
ENVIRONMENT -> TERM section).  There are also references to it on the
web.  I assume it's gone, since I can't find it, nor anything about it
in impnotes.

Is the source for it still available somewhere.  Does clisp-1999-07-22
(at cons.org) have it?

Regards,
Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 2001 15:25:51 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] screen-editor?"
> * Sent on Mon, 28 May 2001 08:29:17 +0200
> * Honorable Peter Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
>

it has been gone for about 5 years.

Bruno said:

The editor was removed because it was a too primitive remake of
terminal-mode emacs. The two most annoying features were that tabs
didn't get displayed correctly, and it didn't get notified when the
xterm window was resized.

If you want CL-Emacs, you would probably be better off making CLISP
interface with GNU Emacs via FFI.
No, I have no idea how to do this.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
We are born naked, wet, and hungry.  Then things get worse.

---

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:42:24 +0200

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 03:25:51PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:

> [screen-editor]  has been gone for about 5 years.
 ...
> interface with GNU Emacs via FFI.

I'm mostly happy with emacs as is.  The reason I asked is that I am
using clisp as a login shell (with dispatch-macro-characters and
read-from-delimited-stream for running programs conveniently via
run-program)

I would like to somehow enable indentation while running clisp on the
console or an xterm.

I can see 2 ways of doing it:

1) Readline 
2) String-output streams 

I just wanted to see how these things were done in the screen-editor,
but it doesn't matter.

Regards,
Peter