Subject: [clisp-list] what's proc for then?

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Sun May 19 01:09:01 2002

I've also had trouble using clisp with /proc files, but I figured
that was cause of non-standard properties in the implementation of
the particular proc files.  Since there's not much that can be
guaranteed about proc files it's hard to see how a single interface 
can be expected to work on all of them.

  Unbuffered is _probably_ better for /proc files, but there is no
  guarantee.

As I recall, when I tried unbuffered with my particular proc files
things broke even worse.

  I have been getting some really bizarre results with Clisp and /proc,
  and frankly, its enough to make me doubt Clisp's suitability as a
  sysadmin tool on Linux.

Since the IO I needed could be done with cat > and echo > I just
have clisp use a shell to do those things.
I consider this to be an acceptable solution, though not ideal.
It's still worth while to use clisp to do everything else that has
to figure out what IO to do by these other means.
I have no idea whether my proc files would work with Python, Perl,
etc.