Subject: [clisp-list] problem with installation instructions

From: Jim Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 3 14:00:03 2002

i'm trying to install clisp on redhat linux 7.2. i followed the
instructions in the README file down to the part about running
a program called ./hardcode

but there is no such program.  What do you think i'm doing wrong?

[jimka@localhost clisp-2.27]# mkdir /usr/local/lib/lisp
[jimka@localhost clisp-2.27]# mv base/lisp.run /usr/local/lib/lisp
[jimka@localhost clisp-2.27]# mv base/lispinit.mem /usr/local/lib/lisp
[jimka@localhost clisp-2.27]# ./hardcode -DLISPLIBDIR='/usr/local/lib/lisp' -DLOCALEDIR='/usr/local/share/locale' clisp /usr/local/bin/clisp
./hardcode: Command not found.
[jimka@localhost clisp-2.27]# pwd
/home/jimka/tmp/clisp-2.27
[jimka@localhost clisp-2.27]# find . -type f -name hardcode
[jimka@localhost clisp-2.27]# find . -type f -print | grep hard
[jimka@localhost clisp-2.27]#  find . -type f -print | grep code
./data/UnicodeData.txt

-jim
-- 
jimka
http://www.gaydar.co.uk/jimka or http://www.homo.de/user/hp.asp?nickname=JIMKA

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 3 17:00:04 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] problem with installation instructions"
> * Sent on Sun, 03 Feb 2002 22:59:23 +0100
> * Honorable Jim Newton <[email-masked]> writes:
>

you did not say where you got CLISP and whether it was a source or a
binary distribution.

fortunately, my ESP is up to the task and I can tell you that you got a
binary distribution.

the standard reply is that binary distributions are the last resort for
those who cannot use source distributions (e.g., they do not have a C
compiler or the build fails for some reason.)

thus, please download the source distribution and build from it.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
186,000 Miles per Second.  It's not just a good idea.  IT'S THE LAW.

---

From: Myriam Abramson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Feb 3 18:45:06 2002

> > a program called ./hardcode

I recall this confusing part of the documentation. It's about
compiling the driver for the lisp image. It must be old
documentation. It should just be

gcc -DLISPLIBDIR=... -DLISPLOCALEDIR=... clisp.c -o /usr/local/bin/clisp

help that helps

                                   myriam