Subject: [clisp-list] ISO something like apply in python

From: Jim Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Feb 25 15:24:05 2004

hi, does anyone know how to do the equivalent of apply in python?
i.e., (apply my_fun some_list)

many thanks.
-jim

lets see if this quesiton makes it to comp.lang.lisp

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Feb 26 06:48:03 2004

> * Jim Newton <[email-masked]> [2004-02-25 23:22:30 +0100]:
>

<http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/Body/fun_apply.html>

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
MS: Brain off-line, please wait.

---

From: Jim Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Feb 26 12:13:07 2004

yes thanks for the reply.  i am a lisp programmer and trying to
learn python.  i know about the apply funciton in lisp, but
i am looking for something similar in python.

-jim

---

From: Pascal J.Bourguignon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Feb 26 12:37:04 2004

> i am looking for something similar in python.

Perhaps asking on a python related newgroup or mail-list would be more
pertinent. Here we (only) know about common-lisp and clisp...

Try a python reference manual or news:comp.lang.python

-- 
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't
want merely because you think it would be good for him.--Robert Heinlein
http://www.theadvocates.org/

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Feb 26 13:30:01 2004

> i.e., (apply my_fun some_list)

I'm not much of a Python programmer, but a quick Google search on the
three terms "apply python lisp" brings up as its first hit Peter
Norvig's "Python for Lisp Programmers"

   http://www.norvig.com/python-lisp.html

I found it interesting reading.  It's probably good for Lisp
programmers to know what's out there.

Also check out:

   http://www.prescod.net/python/IsPythonLisp.html

And a quote from Paul Graham's Lisp FAQ:

 Q: "I like Lisp but my company won't let me use it. What should I
    do?"

 A: "Try to get them to let you use Python. Often when your employer
     won't let you use Lisp it's because (whatever the official
     reason) the guy in charge of your department is afraid of the way
     Lisp source code looks. Python looks like an ordinary dumb
     language, but semantically it has a lot in common with Lisp, and has
     been getting closer to Lisp over time."

I realize that Python questions are, per se, off-topic, but I don't
think the relationship of a language (like Python) to Lisp is.

---
John Hinsdale, Alma Mater Software, Inc., Tarrytown, NY 10591-3710 USA
[email-masked] | http://www.alma.com/staff/hin | +1 914 631 4690

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Feb 26 13:33:02 2004

>> [[email-masked]]

 > [John Hinsdale]

Oops, I realize I never answered your question: it appears from the
above that Python has an "apply" that is exactly analogous to Lisp's.

Suggest trying Google a bit more; a search "apply python lisp"
answered the questions in about 20 seconds, so quick I got
sidetracked.

---