Subject: [clisp-list] System

From: "Justice, Randy -CONT(DYN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:48:54 -0500

Hi.

I'm am working on a PhD dissertation with Lisp and GA. 
I need to replace my system.  I plan to use a Linux as the 
base OS.  
Which would clisp run better a single processor, 1.2-1.3 MHZ, or
a dual processor, 700-800 MHZ?  

Thanks for your input

Randy

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2001 13:52:06 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] System"
> * Sent on Tue, 1 May 2001 11:48:54 -0500
> * Honorable "Justice, Randy -CONT\(DYN\)" <[email-masked]> writes:
>

I am not sure - but I would think that a fast single processor is
better, since CLISP is single-threaded.

YMMV, caveat emptor &c

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2001 17:48:06 -0400

>>>>> "Sam" == Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> a dual processor, 700-800 MHZ?  

    Sam> I am not sure - but I would think that a fast single processor is
    Sam> better, since CLISP is single-threaded.

But I think I'd choose the dual processor 700 MHz system over a
1.2-1.3 MHz system anyday.  Even my old 4 MHz Z80 system was faster
than that!  :-)

But I agree with Sam.  Also, in another mail Sam mentions MT with
CMUCL.  Since it doesn't use OS threads, you won't see any gains with
the multiprocessor system either.  All threads would run on the one
processor.

Ray

---

From: Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:40:33 -0400

> X-Envelope-To: 	
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Mail-Copies-To: never
> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> User-Agent: Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.0.103
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Sender: [email-masked]

Sam is right.  YMMV.  I run CMUCL and CLisp on a dual processor
Celeron 533.  Maybe the Lisp is not as fast, but the second processor
does take care of other heavy programs (e.g. StarOffice and VMWare).

So you have to trade-off all these factors.  If your program has long,
processor intensive runs (as mine), I would tend to go bi-processor.

Cheers

-- 
Marco Antoniotti ========================================================
NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group	tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA			http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
	       "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
			Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.