Subject: [clisp-list] Build problems on Sparc/Linux

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 21 11:56:09 2002

Has any progress been made on the long standing build problems on 
Sparc/Linux? m68k/Linux also seems to suffer from a similar problem. I 
suspected a struct alignment issue but there doesn't seem to be any involved. 

Anyway, if anyone has any hints, please let me know, it looks like a tricky 
one.

Thanks,

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 21 13:55:19 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Build problems on Sparc/Linux"
> * Sent on Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:54:28 +0000
> * Honorable Will Newton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Anyway, if anyone has any hints, please let me know, it looks like a
> tricky one.

all our "cumulative knowledge" is here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=223193&group_id=1355&atid=101355

it boils down to the fact that CLISP works with glibc2.0 but not with
glibc2.2.
It would be nice if you could do something...

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 21 17:23:04 2002

> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=223193&group_id=13

It seems the crash occurs during a type cast, which makes me think there may 
be some alignment issue at work.

> it boils down to the fact that CLISP works with glibc2.0 but not with

Hmm, the spvw_garcol.d file where the crash occurs does not include any glibc 
header.

> It would be nice if you could do something...

I will have a look at it certainly, but all the comments are in german, of 
which I have quite a poor grasp.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 21 18:10:07 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] Build problems on Sparc/Linux"
> * Sent on Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:23:30 +0000
> It seems the crash occurs during a type cast, which makes me think
> there may be some alignment issue at work.

well, this is a new theory - it might work :-)

What _I_ would do is make sure that things like TheRecord &c work
correctly (see lispbibl.d - the comments are in English, thanks to
Stefan Kain and Oliver Nee).

You would have to figure out what type_pointable() _is_ on your
platform, then what it _should_ be, and, finally, make sure these are
the same.

> Hmm, the spvw_garcol.d file where the crash occurs does not include
> any glibc header.

it does include lispbibl.d, which, in turn, includes all sorts of
stuff.

the fact remains - the CLISP works just fine with glibc2.0 (any CLISP
version of the last 3 years) but fails with glibc2.2 (again, any CLISP
version)

> I will have a look at it certainly, but all the comments are in
> german, of which I have quite a poor grasp.

Stefan, could you please kindly expedite translating the spvw*.d files?
Thanks!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T after you.

---

From: Todd Sabin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 21 20:17:01 2002

> Anyway, if anyone has any hints, please let me know, it looks like a tricky 

Are the warnings below (from the bug report) known to be harmless?
(assuming they're still present)

>>make 
>...lots of messages, among which are: 
>lispbibl.d:6864: warning: register used for two global register variables 
>lispbibl.d:6736: warning: volatile register variables don't work as you might wish 
>lispbibl.d:758: warning: call-clobbered register used for global register variable 

The last one sounds a little troubling.  Maybe the STACK register is
just getting clobbered??  (I thought alignment problems caused SIGBUS,
not SIGSEGV.)

Todd

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 22 06:35:10 2002

> well, this is a new theory - it might work :-)

Probably better than anything I have right now - the addresses seem to be 
aligned (misalignment is the most common cause of SIGBUS on sparc) but out of 
range - i.e. mapped well above the process address space.

The only thing I can think of that would directly affect this situation in 
glibc is malloc, so I think I may spend tomorrow looking at changelogs.

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 22 06:43:02 2002

> (assuming they're still present)

Not as far as I am aware. I also get some warnings on x86, I'll compare the 
two. But again this seems unlikely to be affected by glibc...

> just getting clobbered??  (I thought alignment problems caused SIGBUS,

Hmm, I'll have a look. SIGBUS is caused by access outside the address range, 
SIGSEGV is caused by access to unallocated memory.

---

From: "Damond Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 22 06:50:13 2002

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [clisp-list] Build problems on Sparc/Linux
>
>

	As an aside I managed to get lisp.run to compile and run on my Ultra-10
(Suse/Linux 7.3) but when clisp started to build the packages it died
(sigsegv) on the 3rd lisp file it was compiling.  I set safety to 3 and
used -O0.  I tracked down the error to a specific line in one of the .d
files.

	I also tried various gcc sparc specific flags to see if that would fix
things -- to no avail.

	I posted a message a few days ago but I don't remember seeing a response to
the original post.

Damond

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 22 14:41:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on 21 Mar 2002 23:15:54 -0500
> * Honorable Todd Sabin <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >>make 

I've seen these two many times, they do not appear to cause trouble.

> >lispbibl.d:758: warning: call-clobbered register used for global register variable 

haven't seen this - looks real scary.

what I would do is gcc -E lispbibl.d with glibc2.0 and glibc2.2 and
compare the results.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 23 13:30:06 2002

> what I would do is gcc -E lispbibl.d with glibc2.0 and glibc2.2 and

Does anyone here have a Sparc?linux glibc 2.0 machine? The only Sparc 
equipment I have access to is not mine sp I cannot do this myself. If anyone 
does just email me the output and I will be grateful.

I'm not really expecting anyone does TBH, glibc 2.0 is quite old now.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 23 19:17:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:27:38 +0000

You should ask the debian people - last year they were quite
forthcoming with giving me a sparc/linux account, and they (Ben Collins
&co) appeared to be able to access a glibc2.0 machine.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

---

From: Will Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 24 07:33:05 2002

On Sunday 24 Mar 2002 8:50 am, you wrote:

> So here is spvw.d,  spvw_garcol.d will be the next translation target.

Thanks! This should be a big help.

---

From: Stefan Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 24 09:18:03 2002

Hi,

> > german, of which I have quite a poor grasp.

did you know, that in the good old times of the "wild west",
German was almost elected as the official language in the US
(at least in one state)? :-)

> Stefan, could you please kindly expedite translating the spvw*.d files?

if I am asked this nicely, I just cannot refuse... :-)

BTW, if you peruse over my translations and find something that
sounds odd for the native English speaker, could you correct me and
inform me? I am always eager to improve my English.

Just for those guys, that ask themselves:
What does this strange "spvw" stand for?????

SPVW is a the german abbreviation for
Speicherverwaltung := Memory Management

Bye,
Stefan