Subject: [clisp-list] CLISP error under Windows/98

From: Tomas Jimenez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:59:44 -0500

I am new to LISP and am trying to implement the Towers of Hanoi
using CLISP under Windows/98 using the Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999
version. I am getting execution errors under Windows ("This program has
performed an illegal operation and will be shut down") when I enter
"lisp -M lispinit.mem" and perhaps you have some ideas.

Following is a crude version, but I continue to get invalid DEFUN
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(defun move (disk start finish temp)
  (cond
  ((gt disk 0 )
   (move ((- disk 1) start temp finish))
;  (print ("move disk" disk "from tower" start "to tower" finish))
   (print (disk))
   (move (( - disk 1) temp finish start)))))

   (move (2,1,3,2))

Regards,

Tomas Jimenez

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 2000 18:49:19 -0500

>>>> In message <[email-masked]>
>>>> On the subject of "[clisp-list] CLISP error under Windows/98"
>>>> Sent on Mon Feb 28 18:09:52 EST 2000
>>>> Honorable Tomas Jimenez <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> using CLISP under Windows/98 using the Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold
 >> 1999 version. I am getting execution errors under Windows ("This
 >> program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down")
 >> when I enter "lisp -M lispinit.mem" and perhaps you have some ideas.

windows98 is not a good OS.
winNT is better, Linux is better yet.

 >> Following is a crude version, but I continue to get invalid DEFUN

what's the precise error message?

 >>    (move ((- disk 1) start temp finish))

       (move (- disk 1) start temp finish)

 >> ;  (print ("move disk" disk "from tower" start "to tower" finish))

    ;  (print "move disk" disk "from tower" start "to tower" finish)

 >>    (print (disk))

       (print disk)

 >>    (move (( - disk 1) temp finish start)))))

       (move ( - disk 1) temp finish start))))

 >>    (move (2,1,3,2))

       (move 2 1 3 2)

why don't you grab a good lisp textbook, like 
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/onlisp/acl/
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/onlisp/onlisp/

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
(http://www.linux.org) the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!