Subject: [clisp-list] Can't find netscape

From: Debian User Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:53:22 +0800

Dear all,

I'm using clisp on debian GUN/Linux 2.2r2 and mozilla M18.  When I want 
to view the HyperSpec in Emacs via C-c H, ilisp complained that there is 
no program named `netscape'.  Then I made a symbolic link to mozilla, 
and that lauched the program, but left the address blank and did not go 
to the relevant page.

I checked `clhs.lisp' and found that the problem seems to be caused by 
hardcoding `:netscape' as the default `*browser*' in function definition 
of `clhs'.  Even though I tried to set *browser* to another value, it 
did not help.

Does anybody ever meet the same problem?

Best!

-- 
"Today's robots are very primitive, capable of understanding only a few
 simple instructions such as 'go left', 'go right', and 'build car'."
 --John Sladek

---

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:27:59 +0200

> of `clhs'.  Even though I tried to set *browser* to another value, it 

Hi

(I assume your problem is not caused by emacs settings).  You should add
mozilla to the list of available browsers in *browsers*.

If I evaluate "*browsers*" I get:

((:NETSCAPE "netscape" "-remote" "openURL(~a,new-window)") (:LYNX "xterm" "-e"
"lynx" "~a") (:W3M "xterm" "-e" "w3m" "~a") (:MMM "mmm" "-external" "~a")
(:MOSAIC "xmosaic" "~a") (:EMACS-W3 "gnudoit" "-q" "(w3-fetch \"~a\")"))

So I can say "(clhs 'defun :browser :LYNX)", and it will start an xterm with
lynx running on the page of the HS regarding 'defun.  The default is to run
netscape, if you don't specify a browser.

So you need to find out what M18 wants to start it like this, and push that
list onto the *browser* list.  It's probably similar to netscape, so you could
try:

(push '(:MOZILLA "mozilla" "-remote" "openURL(~a,new-window)") *browsers*)

If that doesn't work, find out what M18 wants to start like this.

Regards,
Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 10:25:12 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Can't find netscape"
> * Sent on Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:53:22 +0800
> * Honorable Debian User Bruce <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> I'm using clisp on debian GUN/Linux 2.2r2 and mozilla M18.  When I
> want to view the HyperSpec in Emacs via C-c H, ilisp complained that
> there is no program named `netscape'.  Then I made a symbolic link to
> mozilla, and that lauched the program, but left the address blank and
> did not go to the relevant page.

this is a problem with Emacs/Ilisp, not with CLISP.

> hardcoding `:netscape' as the default `*browser*' in function
> definition of `clhs'.  Even though I tried to set *browser* to another
> value, it did not help.

Fixed, thanks for the bug report.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

---

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:56:19 +0200

> this is a problem with Emacs/Ilisp, not with CLISP.

How can it be a problem with Emacs/Ilisp if putting in a symlink from netscape
to mozilla resulted in the program launching.

> Fixed, thanks for the bug report.

You puzzle me, Sam.  Why is it a bug?  He doesn't *have* netscape on his
machine, so how is it supposed to start it?  He needs to put his browser into
the list of *browsers*, with whatever strings are necessary to start it.

If I want to use the "links" browser, I do:

(push '(:LINKS "xterm" "-e" "links" "~a") *browsers*)

Then I can say (clhs 'defun :browser :LINKS).

He just needs to do the same thing for his browser (mozilla).

But maybe I am not seeing something.

Regards
Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 13:39:45 -0400

sorry that I was not clear.

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] Can't find netscape"
> * Sent on Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:56:19 +0200
> * Honorable Peter Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> How can it be a problem with Emacs/Ilisp if putting in a symlink from
> netscape to mozilla resulted in the program launching.

Emacs/Ilisp was calling "netscape" which was not installed on his
machine.  the right solution is not to make a symlink, but to tell
Emacs/Ilisp to use mozilla.

CLISP has nothing to do with the problem - that was the gist of my
note. 

> Why is it a bug?  

the bug is that the default browser for CLHS was :NETSCAPE and not
*BROWSER*. 

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
If a train station is a place where a train stops, what's a workstation?

---

From: Debian User Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:29:17 +0800

> CLISP has nothing to do with the problem - that was the gist of my

Indeed, Sam is correct.  I realized that, too.  The only troble is I 
don't know how to make it work with mozilla.

Does anybody know how to call mozilla, either in clisp or using ilisp? I 
suppose if one knows one thing, one knows the other.

> the bug is that the default browser for CLHS was :NETSCAPE and not

Yes, that's a bug.  Otherwise, *BROWSER* is meaningless if the function 
`clhs' does not use it as a default argument.

---

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:18:47 +0200

> `clhs' does not use it as a default argument.

Ok, ok. It's a bug.  But it won't arise if you specify a browser when you call
clhs.  So did you try:

And then:

(clhs 'foo :browser :MOZILLA)

????

[I don't use mozilla so I can't check.  A quick search told me there have been
bugs concerning starting both netscape and mozilla.  I don't know if they are
still open.  I think the "-remote" option is the only one implemented in
mozilla, and that the above might only work if mozilla is already running.]

Peter

---

From: Debian User Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:26:36 +0800

> (clhs 'foo :browser :MOZILLA)
That has the same effect as symlinking. The mozilla is started waiting 
me to inpt at the address box.

> mozilla, and that the above might only work if mozilla is already running.]

Netscape 4.x can work perfectly well with ilisp 5.10.1 and clisp when I 
was running RedHat 6.x. Now I'm running Debian distro and mozilla M18. 
Thus I guess the problem lies at mozilla.

BTW, when I use `clhs', I have to exit from the browser before I can 
return to work with clisp.  That seems to be too inflexible.  When I use 
ilisp, I'm not constrained that way.  Don't know whether that can be 
considered as a bug and be fixed, but I can work around that problem 
with emacs plus ilisp.

So before finding out ways to work with mozilla, I can customize Emacs 
and let ilisp choose lynx-emacs as the default browser and be free from 
the constraint mentioned above.

Best!
-- 
A girl's best friend is her mutter.
-- Dorothy Parker

---

From: Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:29:41 -0400

> X-Envelope-To: 	
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Mail-Copies-To: never
> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> User-Agent: Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.0.103
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Sender: [email-masked]

  ...

> the bug is that the default browser for CLHS was :NETSCAPE and not

And from this discussion I gather that ILISP too is not to blame. :)

Cheers

-- 
Marco Antoniotti ========================================================
NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group	tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA			http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
	       "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
			Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.