Subject: [clisp-list] Pg.lisp problem

From: IBMackey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 26 07:31:05 2002

Tried to load marsden's pg.lisp into clisp. Got error:

READ from #<BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
#P"/home/ibum/Clisp/pg.lisp"
@1109>: there is no package with name "SOCKET"

Isn't the socket library builtin with clisp? If not,
where can I get the package.

thanks,
i.b.

---

From: Eric Marsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 26 07:40:07 2002

>>>>> "ib" == IBMackey  <[email-masked]> writes:

  ib> Tried to load marsden's pg.lisp into clisp. Got error:
  ib> READ from #<BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
  ib> #P"/home/ibum/Clisp/pg.lisp"
  ib> @1109>: there is no package with name "SOCKET"

you seem to be using an old version of CLISP (please include the
version number and platform in problem reports). If you read the
comments around the line number indicated by CLISP, you will see

  ;; prior to version 2.26 of CLISP this should read lisp:socket-connect
  ;; instead.
  
-- 
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 26 11:24:21 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] Pg.lisp problem"
> * Sent on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:39:31 +0100
> * Honorable Eric Marsden <[email-masked]> writes:
>

that's why I introduced a feature LISP=CL when I did the repackaging.
please see <CLOCC/PORT/net.lisp> for an example.
I urge you to actually use that portability layer - it will save you
and your users much aggravation.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
If You Want Breakfast In Bed, Sleep In the Kitchen.

---

From: IBMackey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Feb 28 06:42:10 2002

Hi!

Installed version 2.27 of clisp. Upon loading pg.lisp, the following
error was reported --

*** - invalid byte #xF8 in CHARSET:ASCII conversion

i.b.

Eric Marsden <[email-masked]> writes:

> _______________________________________________
> clisp-list mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clisp-list

---

From: Eric Marsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Feb 28 07:12:53 2002

>>>>> "ib" == IBMackey  <[email-masked]> writes:

  ib> Installed version 2.27 of clisp. Upon loading pg.lisp, the following
  ib> error was reported --
  ib> 
  ib> *** - invalid byte #xF8 in CHARSET:ASCII conversion

yes, you can blame Johannes Grødem for not having a boring ASCII name.
Please read the section on Encodings in the CLISP implementation
notes. You will find that it now defaults to being able to read only
ASCII-encoded files; if you want it to be a little more European you
need to put something like the following in your ~/.clisprc.lisp file:
  
#+unicode
(setf custom:*default-file-encoding*
      (ext:make-encoding :charset "ISO-8859-1" :line-terminator :unix))

Have fun,

---

From: IBMackey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Feb 28 14:53:02 2002

Thanks Eric,

I put that code in ".clisprc" and pg.lisp loads fine. Now for the fun!

i.b.