Subject: [clisp-list] Linux-sparc64

From: Sean Callanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:32:50 -0500 (EST)

Dear mailing list:

I have had problems in the recent past compiling clisp on sparc64 targets
running UltraLinux. I have sent e-mails to this list as well as Mr.
Haible offering my assistance but haven't received a response or
acknowledgement. So here goes again.

UltraLinux has a 64-bit kernel running 32-bit userland gcc and binaries.
The only 64-bit gcc available only compiles kernels. Therefore, I figured
sparc32-linux versions of CLISP would work. They do not.

I have tried building CLISP on a Sun Ultra5 and Ultra10. Both required the
latest CVS version and SAFETY=3 but segfaulted upon running, after loading
a few files (that is, lisp.run built but crashed upon reading
interpreted.mem). If anyone is interested, I will provide boring compile
messages, warnings, and errors as well as a transcript of an unsuccessful
gdb session.     

I would really like to see CLISP working on linux-sparc64 targets. I would
assume it would require only small modifications from the sparc32 base,
but I don't know where to begin. I know C, but have not worked on a large
project like this, much less with any system-dependent stuff.

However, I am willing to put time, energy, and processing power into this.
I have access to some pretty decent Sun hardware (Ultra 10 running Red
Hat, possibly Ultra 10 running SuSE, definitely Ultra 5 running SuSE) so
no problems there.

Please do tell me whether my help will be useful or whether this port will
simply not be possible. If the latter is the case, then I will try my luck
with a different Common Lisp, like GCL, but I'd so much prefer using
CLISP!

Thank you for considering my help and please do respond. I hate to be
repetitive, but not being responded to kind of encourages that :^<

Sincerely,

Sean Callanan           

--
"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that none of it
has tried to contact us." -- Calvin (www.calvinandhobbes.com)

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Dec 2000 11:49:13 -0500

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Linux-sparc64"
> * Sent on Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:32:50 -0500 (EST)
> * Honorable Sean Callanan <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> I am willing to put time, energy, and processing power into this.

Sean, the CLISP developers are very glad that you would like to help.
Welcome!

Please replace all "-O" in the makefiles with "-g", and try again,
then send the GDB backtrace.
The only person who can really help you here is Bruno.
He is rather busy at the moment, so please bear with us.

Please note that Reply-To: is set to <[email-masked]>
since that list is more appropriate for the development discussion.
You should definitely subscribe to it.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.