Subject: Re: [clisp-list] garnet-install

From: "isaac councill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:25:06 -0400

Well, the comma problem is fixed but now I am simply getting a slightly more descriptive version of the original error:

*** LISP-RENAMED-BY-GARNET: MAKE-ENCODING: illegal :OUTPUT-ERROR-ACTION argument 63548

Same files, of course.  If anyone (Paolo, for instance?) has any (save or load)-gadgets files that worked at one time, I would be grateful if you could send one for me to examine.

Thanks,
Isaac

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 2001 13:48:02 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] garnet-install"
> * Sent on Wed, 16 May 2001 12:25:06 -0400
> * Honorable "isaac councill" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Well, the comma problem is fixed but now I am simply getting a
> slightly more descriptive version of the original error:
> 
> Same files, of course.  If anyone (Paolo, for instance?) has any (save
> or load)-gadgets files that worked at one time, I would be grateful if
> you could send one for me to examine.

I take your message to mean that you do not need any help from me
(which is perfectly fine with me!) otherwise you would have included
information on what you did to get this error message (like, "cvs up;
configure --with-module=clx/new-clx --build build; make install; clisp
-K full -i garnet-compile.lisp" &c).
If you get this error on load, please set *load-print* to T; if you get
this error on compile, please set *compile-print* to T.
The error message by itself it _never_ enough, you _must_ supply the
offending form (which, BTW, might not be enough either! :-)

As I said yesterday - I compiled garnet without errors and ran some
demos too.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

---

From: Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 20:36:47 +0200

On Wed, 16 May 2001 12:25:06 -0400, Isaac Councill <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Same files, of course.  If anyone (Paolo, for instance?) has any
> (save or load)-gadgets files that worked at one time, I would be grateful
> if you could send one for me to examine.

I did not need to modify those files at the time. I include below a message
I posted to this list a couple of years ago. It illustrates my experience
with Garnet and CLISP under Linux.

Paolo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Garnet questions and problems
From: [email-masked] (Paolo Amoroso)
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:28:43 -0700 (PDT)

I use CLISP 1999.01.08, built from source with the included NCLX module,
under Red Hat Linux 5.2. I have installed the Garnet 3.0 distribution for
CLISP available at CONS.ORG.

I have followed the directions provided in the Garnet documentation,
including the ones specific to CLISP. Of course I didn't need to rename the
source files. I have also set *WARN-ON-FLOATING-POINT-CONTAGION* to NIL
before compilation to avoid being flooded by warnings when later running
the demos.

I have found that in garnet-loader.lsp there is no CLISP specific value for
*DEFAULT-GARNET-PROCLAIM*. I guess this reflected the state of CLISP when
Garnet 3.0 was released several years ago. Are there optimization settings
worth considering with recent versions of CLISP such as the one I'm using?

As suggested by the documentation, I have dumped a Garnet image that I
start with an appropriate script. Do I still need to run the
garnet-after-compile script? Can I delete the Lisp sources and binaries
when they are non longer needed?

When I start the Garnet image, I get the following error:

[paolo@localhost paolo]$ garnet
  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo   
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8  
  I I I I I I I      8         8           8     8        8    8  
  I I I I I I I      8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo   
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8           8  8       
   \  `-+-'  /       8     o   8           8     o     8  8       
    `-__|__-'         ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8       
        |                                                         
  ------+------     Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
                    Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
                    Copyright (c) Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
                                                                  
*** Restarting Garnet 3.0 image created with opal:make-image ***
*** Image creation date: May 10, 1999, 3:17 PM ***

*** - FUNCALL: the function #:|(SETF
XLIB:DISPLAY-REPORT-ASYNCHRONOUS-ERRORS)| is undefined

As far as I can tell, that function is present in the XLIB package:

1. Break [7]> (apropos "DISPLAY-REPORT-ASYNCHRONOUS-ERRORS")

XLIB:DISPLAY-REPORT-ASYNCHRONOUS-ERRORS    function
XLIB::DISPLAY-REPORT-ASYNCHRONOUS-ERRORS-SETTER    function

It seems that the only reference to XLIB:DISPLAY-REPORT-ASYNCHRONOUS-ERRORS
is in src/opal/x.lsp:

[...]
;;; RETURNS:
;;; normally NIL; returns T if:
;;; - the property is :WIDTH or :HEIGHT and a new buffer is required
because
;;;   the old one was too small; or
;;; - the property is :VISIBLE and the window needs to be mapped.
;;;
(defun x-set-window-property (window property value)
  (case property
    (:BACKGROUND-COLOR
     ...)
    ;; ...
    (:REPORT-ASYNCHRONOUS-ERRORS
     (setf (xlib:display-report-asynchronous-errors
	    opal::*default-x-display*)
	   value))
    ;; ...
    (T
     (format t "Unknown property ~S in gem:x-set-window-property.~%"
	     property))))
[...]

After the above mentioned error, however, I am able to use Garnet
anyway--e.g. for loading the demos--by switching to the USER package and
evaluating the appropriate forms:

1. Break [7]> abort

[8]> *package*
#<PACKAGE USER-RENAMED-BY-GARNET>
[9]> (garnet-load "demos:demos-controller")

*** - EVAL: the function GARNET-LOAD is undefined
1. Break [10]> abort

[11]> (in-package :user)
#<PACKAGE COMMON-LISP-USER>
USER[12]> (garnet-load "demos:demos-controller")
Loading #P"/usr/local/lib/clisp/garnet/src/demos/demos-controller"
[...]

A few demos--e.g. angle, scrollbar and unidraw--still do not work, but this
is a minor problem. Do you have any suggestions for solving the problem
with the Garnet image and DISPLAY-REPORT-ASYNCHRONOUS-ERRORS?

Paolo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
EncyCMUCLopedia * Extensive collection of CMU Common Lisp documentation
http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/