Subject: [clisp-list] Re: Broken code referenced on CLISP home page

From: "Jeremiah T. Isaacs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 3 06:31:08 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, John K. Hinsdale wrote:

> [Is clisp-devel the right place for this ? ]

i think clisp-devel is for the clisp project itself.

> FYI when I tried to use the project "Le Sursis" mentioned as the first
> entry under CLISP "Related Projects" at http://clisp.sourceforge.net/
> doesn't work "out of the box" (gets CLISP errors).
> 
> I mention it since this project cites CLISP as its preferred
> environment and the one that should definitely work.  This project
> looks to have been abandoned a couple years ago, but I am trying to
> contact its maintainer.

The email address on the project was no longer valid when i tried.  Have
you had any luck finding him?

The only things that needed to be changed were the package 
declaration, in-package needed to be moved after the defpackage, and 
references to lisp:int-char changed to ext:int-char.  I have a working 
copy of these changes if you would like.
 
> No big deal, except that it's the very first project listed and
> newcomers to CLISP might downloaded and get unjustly discouraged when
> it doesn't work properly.
> 
> If I can't get to the maintainer to fix it, maybe I can fix it myself
> and take it over.  It's actuallyvery tiny and was a student exercise.
> In any case the link may be doing more harm than good in terms of
> demonstrating and promoting CLISP use for CGIs so might wish to take
> that link off, or move it further down the list below more active and
> compelling project examples.

If you cannot find him, take over!  I don't have the time to be in
control, but if someone was actively maintaining it, I would enjoy
contributing to it.  

- j
-- 
	http://www.io.com/~jti
	Faru cian volon, estu la tuta legx.
	Amo estas la legxo, amo laux vol.

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 5 07:58:11 2002

> The email address on the project was no longer valid when i tried.
 > Have you had any luck finding him?

following up ... I got a hold of T. Burdick who maintains the
"le-sursis" CGI library for Lisp, and asked him to grant me
permissions on SourceForge to update patches and keep that project
alive and operational.  Others have mentioned they have enhancements
which I'll merge in once I have access.

	Cheers,

---
John Hinsdale, Alma Mater Software, Inc., Tarrytown, NY 10591-3710 USA
[email-masked] | http://www.alma.com/staff/hin | +1 914 631 4690