Subject: [repost:Re: [clisp-list] linux:ioctl]

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 6 04:57:18 2002

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:59:11AM +0100, Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril wrote:

> I'd appreciate whether you find my elaboration useful, because I'd
> like to turn it (or part of it) into part of an article (and
> cookbook entry) I'm writing about FFI for CLISP, AllegroCL, CMUCL,
> CormanLisp and Lispworks.

Thank you very much.  I find your explanations extremely helpful, and
I believe I am beginning to understand how to use the ffi.

> 
> BTW, we touch an area where I find the CLISP FFI quite limited. I
> once advocated foreign function definitions with local scope (as
> found e.g. in CMUCL with (alien-funcall (extern-alien ...))) since
> their pattern can be highly application dependent (as seen here). I
> dislike globally visible definitions of functions whose call pattern
> is so specialized that only a wrapper can call them. The wrapper is
> what needs to be global (and exported). I hope that my upcoming
> article will make more of the FFI design issues clear and lead to a
> more useful FFI for CLISP.

I look forward to reading your article.

> Hope this helps,
> 	Jorg Hohle.

Yes!

Regards,
Peter