Subject: RE: [clisp-list] warning messages

From: "Justice, Randy -CONT(DYN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Feb 8 09:15:09 2002

Thanks for your input. 

Ok,  I missing some concept.  
I don't know what a "special" variable is.  I'm trying to
use the "ARRAYSIZE" variable as a global constant.  

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Toy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 8:43 AM
To: Justice, Randy -CONT(DYN)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [clisp-list] warning messages

>>>>> "Randy" == DYN  <Justice> writes:

    Randy> How can I silence the warning message?  

Why would you want to do that?  Do you also turn off the smoke
detector in your home?

    Randy> WARNING in function FIND_LARGEST_NUMBER in lines 58..124 :
    Randy> ARRAYSIZE is neither declared nor bound,
    Randy> it will be treated as if it were declared SPECIAL.

Is arraysize supposed to a special variable?  If so, perhaps the order
in which you compile the files should be changed?  Or actually declare
arraysize as special?

Ray

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Feb 8 11:15:12 2002

>>>>> "Randy" == DYN  <Justice> writes:

    Randy> Thanks for your input. 

    Randy> Ok,  I missing some concept.  
    Randy> I don't know what a "special" variable is.  I'm trying to

It means it has dynamic binding.  Look in a Lisp book or ask in
comp.lang.lisp.

    Randy> use the "ARRAYSIZE" variable as a global constant.  

In that case, you can say one of the following:

(defvar arraysize <value>)
(defparameter arraysize <value>)
(defconstant arraysize <value>)

Read in a Lisp book or CLHS what the difference is.  Since you say
it's a global constant, then defconstant is probably what you want.
And this should probably happen exactly once, and definitely before
you compile the file that gives the warning.

Ray

---

From: Ram Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Feb 8 11:26:10 2002

> It means it has dynamic binding.  Look in a Lisp book or ask in

This is somewhat off-topic, but speaking of books on Lisp, Paul Graham, 
author of "ANSI Common Lisp", just recently released an on-line copy of 
his earlier work "On Lisp" which has been out of print for a long while. 
This is a great reference on Lisp (especially macros) and is available 
from: <http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisptext.html>

Enjoy.

-ram