Subject: [clisp-list] bug(s) in next-line-virtual

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:56:55 +0200

Hi

Using 2.27 on Gnu/Linux, built at home.

Maybe these were included in the release (2.27) by mistake, since I
did not see them in the 'user-visible changes' list of the
announcement, but anyway:

META/ESC-n does not work in a multi-line form.
META/ESC-p does not seem to work properly.

If I type:

(defun foo (a b) <newline>
(list a b)) <newline>

foo gets defined and the entry gets stored in history so I can recall
the whole thing with C-p.  BUT ESC-p first moves the cursor to the
beginning of the line, and only then moves it to the line above.
ESC-n moves the cursor to the end of the line, and does _not_ move it
to the line below.

In addition, parenthesis matching does not work across lines.  Are
clispers supposed to count parens?

Regards,
Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jul 2001 12:58:15 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] bug(s) in next-line-virtual"
> * Sent on Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:56:55 +0200
> * Honorable Peter Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
>

you are right - this should have been mentioned.

> ESC-n moves the cursor to the end of the line, and does _not_ move it

these work for me (more or less) on Solaris.
can you fix the problems you are observing?
see previous_line_virtual() and next_line_virtual() in stream.d

> In addition, parenthesis matching does not work across lines.  

please complain to the GNU Readline maintainer Chet Ramey
<[email-masked]>. 

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Someone has changed your life.  Save? (y/n)

---

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:06:26 +0200

> > Using 2.27 on Gnu/Linux, built at home.
...
> see previous_line_virtual() and next_line_virtual() in stream.d

My report was not quite accurate.  E-n moves to the end of the line
and no further, only if used in the first line.  So moving the cursor
back one space and then E-n _will_ move to the next line.

> please complain to the GNU Readline maintainer Chet Ramey

I've just reported it to the readline bug address on their homepage.
If they fix it, I will try to make my readline functions for lisp
indentation use newlines instead of appending spaces when indenting.

I do need both paren matching and indentation on the console, so until
they fix it, I am just going to keep using my kludgy lisp-indentation
patch.

Regards,
Peter