Subject: [clisp-list] open .mem file in emacs (windows)

From: "Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Nov 28 00:29:05 2002

Dan wrote:

>but I'm encountering the following problem: If I dump an image using saveinitmem
>and try to load it into clisp under EMACS, I get the following error message:
 
>READ from #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER #P"C:\\home\\filename.mem" @1>: >illegal character #\Null

The error message shows that CLISP is not loading an image file, but attempts to READ a Lisp (or .fas) file.

You probably got your -M option wrong.

When loading images, CLISP uses the OS' read() etc., so no message about (Lisp)READ  from the file #P"foo.mem" can appear.

Did you try and execute ...\lisp.exe -M C:\home\filename.mem -B xxx/ -E... ?

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle.

---

From: "Daniel Freudenthal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Nov 28 08:51:02 2002

Joerg,

Thanks for your reply. I think I didn't make myself completely clear (or I
am misunderstanding you), but the problem is not that CLISP won't open the
file. Image files are associated with CLISP. When I doubleclick an image,
CLISP loads it without any problem (no switches necessary). However, when I
try to load the file in EMACS, with CLISP as an inferior  LISP, I get this
error message. And I don't think there are any switches associated with LOAD
in EMACS (but I may be wrong). So, the strange thing from my viewpoint is
that CLISP itself can open the image, unless you open it in EMACS running
CLISP as an inferior LISP.  And since I want to be able to change the code
in the image, it would be nice to load it from EMACS since that has the
development utilities.

Dan.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2002 8:26 AM
Subject: [clisp-list] open .mem file in emacs (windows)

>READ from #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER #P"C:\\home\\filename.mem"
@1>: >illegal character #\Null

The error message shows that CLISP is not loading an image file, but
attempts to READ a Lisp (or .fas) file.

When loading images, CLISP uses the OS' read() etc., so no message about
(Lisp)READ  from the file #P"foo.mem" can appear.

Regards,
Jörg Höhle.

---

From: Darryl Okahata <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Dec 2 08:22:45 2002

"Daniel Freudenthal" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> And since I want to be able to change the code

     Are you actually trying to load the .mem file into Emacs, or are
you trying to load the .mem file into clisp, which is running under
Emacs?  It sounds like you're trying to do the former.

     Is it even possible to edit a .mem file like a text file and have the
result be loadable by clisp, binary character issues aside???.  I'd be
really surprised if you can.  Assuming that you're attempting to do
that, this error implies that you're running into character set issues:

Backtrace tells me: Character #\u2039 cannot be represented in the character set CHARSET:CP850.

(Basically, the binary .mem file contains a byte sequence that cannot be
represented using CHARSET:CP850.)

-- 
	Darryl Okahata
	[email-masked]

DISCLAIMER: this message is the author's personal opinion and does not
constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Agilent Technologies, or
of the little green men that have been following him all day.