Subject: [clisp-list] Port of AllegroServe?

From: Erik Arneson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Oct 19 10:36:09 2001

Howdy folks,

I'm wondering if anybody out there has tried porting AllegroServe to
CLISP?  Or is there a port floating around out there?

-- 
# Erik Arneson <[email-masked]>    AARG Net <http://www.aarg.net/> #
# GPG Key ID: 1024D/43AD6AB8           <http://erik.arneson.org/> #
# "Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God!" - Thomas Jefferson #

---

From: Erik Arneson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Oct 19 21:35:13 2001

On 19 Oct 01, Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > * Honorable Erik Arneson <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> it is likely to be tricky since CLISP does not support MT.
> this does not mean this cannot be done though, just that it would be hard.

I remember a while back that Don Cohen posted an HTTP server for CLISP
here on the list.  Does anybody know if there's a place to download
it?

-- 
> Erik Arneson <[email-masked]>      MM, Ashland Lodge No. 23 <
> GPG Key ID: 1024D/43AD6AB8    RAM, Siskiyou Chapter No. 21 <
> <http://erik.arneson.org/>     <http://www.aarg.net/mason> <

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Fri Oct 19 23:36:09 2001

> here on the list.  Does anybody know if there's a place to download
If I posted it on clisp-list that must have been some time ago.
I did put it in clocc but I can't find it now.  I get an error now 
when I go to clocc and click on cvs browsing.

Note that this is not a port of AllegroServe, however.  In fact, it
probably has no relationship other than perhaps common ancestry in
an old allegro example server (probably no original code survives
in either case).  Oh, right, my copyright refers to theirs.

I do handle multiple connections at a time in some appropriate sense,
i.e., you don't have to wait a very long time for your 1K download
just cause someone else started a 10M download right before you.  
On the other hand, there are things that would work in a real MP 
environment that don't work here, e.g., you could put a sleep in the 
response to one request and others would continue to progress.

BTW, Isn't there another web server (or several) in clocc?
In fact, I thought Sam had one.  I'm sure Erann Gat had one,
but probably not in clocc.  Not to mention AllegroServe and cl-http
(which also does not run in clisp as far as I know).

I believe I've made a number of improvements in mine since I last put
it on clocc, but I can't tell what they are without the old source to
compare.  Of course, if it's not available, who cares about the
differences?  Instead, tell me where to put the current version.

---

From: Erik Arneson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Oct 20 06:31:29 2001

> differences?  Instead, tell me where to put the current version.

Well, now you've got me eagerly chomping at the bit.  :)

If you need FTP or web space or something, I could provide it for you,
but why don't you just slap a catchy name on it and post it to
Sourceforge?

Something like that would be well worth developing!

--

---

From: Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Oct 20 07:16:14 2001

> but probably not in clocc.  Not to mention AllegroServe and cl-http

See the Web section of CLiki. It list a few servers, including Erann's.

Paolo
-- 
EncyCMUCLopedia * Extensive collection of CMU Common Lisp documentation
http://web.mclink.it/amoroso/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Sat Oct 20 15:03:10 2001

Sam Steingold writes:
 > start with http://sf.net/clocc

That gave me a page where the most prominent text is "PAGE NOT FOUND"
but it does include a search box where, typing clocc leads me to:
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/clocc/
Scroll down a few pages, click on browse cvs then clocc, src, donc
to get all files below, which I've just updated.

It turns out that http.lisp is essentially unchanged (just my
address), whereas server.lisp on which it relies has a few important
changes: the one about timesharing IO streams and the one that avoids
absurd delays when your dns service is not working.  In order to run
my http server you want those two plus a mime types file (I put a
copy there of one from apache that works fine).

While I was at it I also downloaded a more recent version of my 
smtp server, which implements my approach to spam elimination.

Since Paolo Amoroso pointed out http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Web I
looked there and noticed that one of the servers there , IMHO,
includes session management.  I have code for that too, though not in
any of the files above.  Perhaps I should post a sample server that
does include that.  In fact, I just wrote a very simple one that's
meant for remote administration - you log in and then execute unix
commands; also has an interface for reading/editing/writing files.
(Of course, I run it through stunnel!)