Subject: [clisp-list] raw sockets

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Tue Apr 20 16:55:08 2004

Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> wrote:
 1. Don Cohen is working on a "raw-sock" module which should offer full
   socket access from CLISP.

Truth in advertising: it's on the queue, I'm *trying* to find time
to work on it, but consistently failing.  Updates to my clocc server
code are on that same queue. 

Anyone else who wants to try this has my blessing and encouragement.
The (old) code was posted, so you're in as good a position to do it as
I am.  Better if you have any experience with modules, and much better
if you have time to do it.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 21 07:00:11 2004

> * Don Cohen <[email-masked]> [2004-04-20 16:51:34 -0700]:
>
> I am.

Clarification: this module is supposed to contain some code from Don
and some code from Fred (any relationship to Don?)
Both were ported to clisp-devel in separate message.

Don, did you even start the project?
When I say "start", I mean, do you have a _directory_ with all the
files, yours and Fred's?
If you do have such a directory, could you please zip it up and make it
available for download from the web?
Thanks.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Only adults have difficulty with child-proof caps.

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Wed Apr 21 09:12:00 2004

> and some code from Fred (any relationship to Don?)
(brothers)

 > available for download from the web?
I started to try to make it work in 2.32.
I had earlier made it work in the pre 2.31 cvs where large files and
write-byte-sequence no-hang support were added.
I gather that what you really want is something different, adding a
new module directory to current cvs.  I have not started on that.
My impression (at least hope) is that anyone who already knows how to
do that will  find the task relatively straight forward starting from
the code that was sent earlier.  

Fred Cohen asks me to forward:

 > Sorry about the inconvenience of sending to you instead of the list -
 > but the counterspam thing on the list bounced my message. 
 > 
 > FC
 ...
 > To the extent I can I would be happy to help, however, I don't want to
 > keep chasing the ever-changing clisp specs for foreign stuff.  Where shall
 > I send a gz file?

I believe the file he would send would be more or less what was posted
earlier (that message was also rejected and eventually forwarded
through me, as I recall).  

BTW, I also believe that the code as it stands now would not support
unix sockets.  So whoever makes a real clisp module out of it might
want to add that.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 21 10:33:08 2004

> * Don Cohen <[email-masked]> [2004-04-21 09:07:40 -0700]:
>

I don't think I got my message through.
Let me try to repeat and be blunt.
Please do not get offended,
I have nothing but respect and appreciation for you and Fred.
The following is just _my_ personal modus operandi,
and I understand that not everyone agrees with me.

-------------
Code and patches which are longer than 1 computer screen
(~60 lines) should never be sent to CLISP mailing lists,
send the URL instead and I will certainly click on it.
(Exception: auto-generated CVS commit notes).
(MIME mail is never accepted in CLISP mailing lists either).

Ergo: _I_ did _NOT_ see the code you and Fred sent to this list. Sorry.
Saying "just get the code from the mailing list archives" will not work.
-------------

Now, let me repeat again: please send to this list the URL of the tgz
or zip of all your files you want in the module.
I will put it under the CVS and add the necessary infrastructure.
Then you - or anyone else - will be able to work on this using the CVS.

Thanks.

>  > To the extent I can I would be happy to help, however, I don't want
>  > to keep chasing the ever-changing clisp specs for foreign stuff.

I did not realize that the foreign specs kept changing...

>  > Where shall I send a gz file?

you send the URL to the mailing list as a part of the plain text
(non-MIME) message.

> unix sockets.  So whoever makes a real clisp module out of it might

that's OK.  we need a start.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Rhinoceros has poor vision, but, due to his size, it's not his problem.

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Wed Apr 21 11:06:02 2004

> or zip of all your files you want in the module.
Fred's original message, containing the code is now at
http://isis.cs3-inc.com/raw-fc
This is not a zip but it's not long and easy enough to extract.  
The files are separated by their names.  Find these lines:
call-rawsock.lsp
 ... 25 lines
rawsock.c:
 ... 123 lines
Maker:
 ... 15 lines
thingstofix:
 ... 11 lines
 > Then you - or anyone else - will be able to work on this using the CVS.
ok, that's a start.

 > I did not realize that the foreign specs kept changing...
What I do know is that what he had working c. 2.26 did not work in
2.31 and after I managed to change it to work in 2.31, the result no 
longer works in 2.32.
I think the code at url above is the 2.26 version.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 21 14:23:09 2004

> * Don Cohen <[email-masked]> [2004-04-21 11:00:40 -0700]:
>

ok, this thing is now in the CVS.
$ ./configure --with-module=rawsock --build build-rawsock
please send small patches to clisp-devel (appended to the message,
accompanied by a ChangeLog entry, note that you must be subscribed)
or send the patch URL.
If you plan on doing more than a couple of small patches,
I will be happy to give you CVS write access.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Beliefs divide, doubts unite.