Subject: [clisp-list] Working build of 2.33 on Debian?

From: Chris Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 27 03:19:08 2004

Debian Woody, kernel 2.2.20. gcc 3.0.4
/lib/libc-2.2.5.so
/lib/libc.so.6
(Dunno quite how to interpret that - libc6 v2.2.5, if I had to guess.)

Using clisp source for 2.33 from Sourceforge, obtained 18 May 2004, and
clisp source 2.33-2 from Debian Packages obtained 26 May 2004, with
Debian-supplied patches applied.

Both build fine, but fail on the same test (output below).

FWIW, building the Debian sources 'manually' like this, the build
fails if on the 'manual' target, and again if I try to specify the
postgresql module - I had to tweak the Makefile.  I am pretty sure
that these would be handled by apt, though.

But the Sourceforge tarball worked just fine on both counts - woohoo!

My question - how 'safe' would it be to use one of these builds?  I'd
really like to 'get with the program' and use 2.33.

Thanks,
+Chris

__
No single drop of water thinks it is responsible for the flood.
-- Old adage

--------( 'make check' output follows

(FDEFINITION (LIST 'SETF (GENSYM))) 
OK: UNDEFINED-FUNCTION
RUN-TEST: finished "excepsit" (0 errors out of 359 tests)
RUN-ALL-TESTS: grand total: 3 errors out of 8,769 tests

Real time: 371.6612 sec.
Run time: 270.06 sec.
Space: 289770080 Bytes
GC: 422, GC time: 53.85 sec.
8769 ;
3
Bye.

(echo *.erg | grep '*' >/dev/null) || (echo "Test failed:" ; ls -l
*erg; echo "To see which tests failed, type" ; echo " cat
"`pwd`"/*.erg" ; exit 1)

Test failed:
-rw-r--r--    1 rocktige rocktige     2556 May 26 23:54 clos.erg
To see which tests failed, type
    cat /home/rocktiger/lisp/build/clisp-2.33/deb-test/suite/*.erg
make[1]: *** [compare] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rocktiger/lisp/build/clisp-2.33/deb-test/suite'
make: *** [testsuite] Error 2

$ less /home/rocktiger/lisp/build/clisp-2.33/deb-test/suite/*.erg

Form: (PROGN (DEFCLASS TEST-CLASS1 NIL ((FOO :INITARG :FOO :ACCESSOR
FOO :INITFORM 0))) (DEFCLASS TEST-CLASS2 NIL ((FOO :INITARG :FOO
:ACCESSOR FOO :INITFORM 0))) (DEFMETHOD MAKE-LOAD-FORM ((OBJ
TEST-CLASS1) &OPTIONAL ENVIRONMENT) (DECLARE (IGNORE ENVIRONMENT))
`(MAKE-INSTANCE 'TEST-CLASS1 :FOO ',(FOO OBJ))) (DEFMETHOD
MAKE-LOAD-FORM ((OBJ TEST-CLASS2) &OPTIONAL ENVIRONMENT) (DECLARE
(IGNORE ENVIRONMENT)) `(MAKE-INSTANCE 'TEST-CLASS2 :FOO ',(FOO OBJ)))
(DEFPARAMETER *T-LIST* (LIST (MAKE-INSTANCE 'TEST-CLASS1 :FOO 100)
(MAKE-INSTANCE 'TEST-CLASS2 :FOO 200))) (MLF-TESTER '*T-LIST*) (MAPCAR
#'FOO *T-LIST*))
CORRECT: (100 200)
CLISP  : ERROR
LOAD: A file with name
/home/lisp/clocc/src/tools/ansi-test/make-load-form-demo.fas does not
exist

Form: (PROGN (DEFCLASS POS NIL ((X :INITARG :X :READER POS-X) (Y
:INITARG :Y :READER POS-Y) (R :ACCESSOR POS-R))) (DEFMETHOD
SHARED-INITIALIZE :AFTER ((SELF POS) IGNORE1 &REST IGNORE2) (DECLARE
(IGNORE IGNORE1 IGNORE2)) (UNLESS (SLOT-BOUNDP SELF 'R) (SETF (POS-R
SELF) (SQRT (+ (* (POS-X SELF) (POS-X SELF)) (* (POS-Y SELF) (POS-Y
SELF))))))) (DEFMETHOD MAKE-LOAD-FORM ((SELF POS) &OPTIONAL
ENVIRONMENT) (DECLARE (IGNORE ENVIRONMENT)) `(MAKE-INSTANCE
',(CLASS-NAME (CLASS-OF SELF)) :X ',(POS-X SELF) :Y ',(POS-Y SELF)))
(SETQ *FOO* (MAKE-INSTANCE 'POS :X 3.0 :Y 4.0)) (MLF-TESTER '*FOO*)
(LIST (POS-X *FOO*) (POS-Y *FOO*) (POS-R *FOO*)))
CORRECT: (3.0 4.0 5.0)
CLISP  : ERROR
LOAD: A file with name
/home/lisp/clocc/src/tools/ansi-test/make-load-form-demo.fas does not
exist

Form: (PROGN (DEFCLASS TREE-WITH-PARENT NIL ((PARENT :ACCESSOR
TREE-PARENT) (CHILDREN :INITARG :CHILDREN))) (DEFMETHOD MAKE-LOAD-FORM
((X TREE-WITH-PARENT) &OPTIONAL ENVIRONMENT) (DECLARE (IGNORE
ENVIRONMENT)) (VALUES `(MAKE-INSTANCE ',(CLASS-NAME (CLASS-OF X)))
`(SETF (TREE-PARENT ',X) ',(SLOT-VALUE X 'PARENT) (SLOT-VALUE ',X
'CHILDREN) ',(SLOT-VALUE X 'CHILDREN)))) (SETQ *FOO* (MAKE-INSTANCE
'TREE-WITH-PARENT :CHILDREN (LIST (MAKE-INSTANCE 'TREE-WITH-PARENT
:CHILDREN NIL) (MAKE-INSTANCE 'TREE-WITH-PARENT :CHILDREN NIL))))
(SETF (TREE-PARENT *FOO*) *FOO*) (DOLIST (CH (SLOT-VALUE *FOO*
'CHILDREN)) (SETF (TREE-PARENT CH) *FOO*)) (MLF-TESTER '*FOO*) (LIST
(EQ *FOO* (TREE-PARENT *FOO*)) (EVERY (LAMBDA (X) (EQ X *FOO*))
(MAPCAR #'TREE-PARENT (SLOT-VALUE *FOO* 'CHILDREN))) (EVERY #'NULL
(MAPCAR (LAMBDA (X) (SLOT-VALUE X 'CHILDREN)) (SLOT-VALUE *FOO*
'CHILDREN)))))
CORRECT: (T T T)
CLISP  : ERROR
LOAD: A file with name
/home/lisp/clocc/src/tools/ansi-test/make-load-form-demo.fas
does not exist

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 27 08:17:40 2004

> * Chris Hall <[email-masked]> [2004-05-27 00:18:24 -1000]:
>
> My question - how 'safe' would it be to use one of these builds?

either is perfectly fine.

> /home/lisp/clocc/src/tools/ansi-test/make-load-form-demo.fas does not

does this directory exist?
why is it used?  this is very strange.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
I don't want to be young again, I just don't want to get any older.

---

From: Chris Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 27 08:53:02 2004

> either is perfectly fine.

Yesssss!  I am *so* glad to hear this!

> why is it used?  this is very strange.

It does indeed, and there is also a make-load-form-demo.lisp file in
it.  I was wondering about that as well.  I've looked in my bash
environment, and the only lisp-related item I can find was CMUCLLIB.

I do (now) have a .clisprc.lisp, but that is just since I installed
(finally!) clisp 2.33, and all it does so far is load asdf.

As an aside, CLOCC is indirectly kind of responsible for my decision
to switch to clisp (long story).

One thing I have become aware of during the whole 'familiarization
process' of learning how clisp is built is the sheer quantity of
high-quality work you folks have put in to this and best of all have
contributed to the world at large.

I find it to be a truly impressive achievement and an equally
impressive gesture, and I've been developing software systems of
various sizes full-time for 25+ years.  You guys rock!

Thank you all, and thank you again, Sam, in particular for the time
you've taken to nurse me along.

Aloha,
+Chris

__