Subject: [clisp-list] Compiling CLISP with cygwin mingw, and CVS strangeness

From: "Ribeiro, Glauber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 16 07:25:01 2002

Hello,

I thought i'd try to compile the latest CLISP from sources under Cygwin
"mingw", and i hit a few snags. Maybe someone here could help me:

(1) I downloaded the CLISP CVS snapshot from SourceForge yesterday morning.
Untarred it in my Windows98 machine (using Winzip), and i found out that all
files in the CVS tree seem to have MSDOS line ends (CR+LF, instead of just
LF as it should be). So, when i do a CVS get against this tree, CVS adds
another CR at the end of each line (i end up with CR+LF+CR), which messes up
cygwin's bash. I was able to go around this by using "cvs get -kb", but i
wonder why it happened. Is it possible that the tree was transferred by FTP
in ASCII mode to a Windows machine before it was tarred?

(2) I tried running "configure --with-mingw" (under Cygwin's bash shell). It
took just over 2 1/2 hours (!!!) to run in my 200MHz PII with Windows 98.
When it finally finished, it looks like it didn't find a lot of important
stuff (e.g.: sockets), and i ended up with an incomplete set of make files.

Does this version (the one in CVS) compile (and is usable) with mingw? Or
should i try the standard Cygwin?

Is there any quicker way to do this? Do i REALLY have to run the configure
script?

Thanks,

glauber

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 16 07:56:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Compiling CLISP with cygwin mingw, and CVS strangeness"
> * Sent on Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:23:54 -0700
> * Honorable "Ribeiro, Glauber" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> (1) I downloaded the CLISP CVS snapshot from SourceForge yesterday
> morning.  Untarred it in my Windows98 machine (using Winzip), and i
> found out that all files in the CVS tree seem to have MSDOS line ends
> (CR+LF, instead of just LF as it should be). So, when i do a CVS get

this is weird.

> against this tree, CVS adds another CR at the end of each line (i end
> up with CR+LF+CR), which messes up cygwin's bash. I was able to go
> around this by using "cvs get -kb", but i wonder why it happened. Is
> it possible that the tree was transferred by FTP in ASCII mode to a
> Windows machine before it was tarred?

when you installed cygwin, did you tell it to use "LF" or "CR/LF" line
termination mode?

> (2) I tried running "configure --with-mingw" (under Cygwin's bash
> shell). It took just over 2 1/2 hours (!!!) to run in my 200MHz PII
> with Windows 98.

ouch!  how much RAM do you have?!

> When it finally finished, it looks like it didn't find a lot of
> important stuff (e.g.: sockets), and i ended up with an incomplete set
> of make files.

what does "incomplete set of make files" mean?
you could not build?
what error messages?

> Does this version (the one in CVS) compile (and is usable) with mingw?

yes.

> Or should i try the standard Cygwin?

this is certainly an option - and it will allow you to build in a
separate directory too!  (this is not available with win32_native until
Arseny implements symbolic links)

also, this should give you readline line editing (not available with
win32_native).

the downside is slower directory access (this is a cygwin problem, not
a CLISP one).

> Is there any quicker way to do this? Do i REALLY have to run the
> configure script?

I am afraid yes.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Never trust a man who can count to 1024 on his fingers.

---

From: Eduardo Muñoz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 16 09:47:04 2002

> (1) I downloaded the CLISP CVS snapshot from SourceForge yesterday
morning.
> LF as it should be).

I think that WinZip is quilty here.

Run WinZip and go to Options->Configuration->
Miscelaneous tab and uncheck "TAR file smart CR/LF
conversion".

HTH

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 16 10:21:08 2002

Eduardo, Glauber,

I recommend avoiding WinZip entirely for anything Unixy or Cygwin-destined.

There's more to this issue than line endings, though that's a major one. 
Another is links, both symbolic and hard. Only Cygwin TAR will handle them 
properly. While you can change the "smart" text handling option in WinZip, 
you cannot get it to handle links correctly.

Hard links might be a problem in some cases, at least when some code 
(script, C/C++ or otherwise) assumes or requires them to work correctly, 
but Cygwin-hosted programs will usually work because even if the underlying 
file system does not support hard links (only NTFS does), the Cygwin kernel 
(Cygwin1.dll) will make a copy when a hard link is not possible.

Soft links / symbolic links are always supported, proving you go through a 
Cygwin application to create or resolve them.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 16 10:34:04 2002

> I recommend avoiding WinZip entirely for anything Unixy or Cygwin-destined.

I realize this is off-topic, but if it helps, I've got working Windows
95/98/NT/2000 versions of tar, gzip, and zip/unzip (incl. making
self-extracting ZIPs) that do not depend on Cygwin and that I've been
using w/out problems for many years.  You can grab them at

	http://www.alma.com/tools/winarch/

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 16 11:51:03 2002

John,

I'm dubious about a non-Cygwin app properly dealing with links of either 
kind. While it's possible they may copy when a hard link is impossible 
(cross-device or non-NTFS), but compatibility with Cygwin symlinks or any 
other proper disposition of a symlink indicated in the TAR archive seems 
unlikely.

What do you know about how these utilities handle links?

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

---

From: "John K. Hinsdale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 16 12:01:22 2002

> kind. ... compatibility with ... symlinks seems  unlikely.

 > What do you know about how these utilities handle links?

oops, I only meant that these utils worked for me as far as the CR/LF
issues I saw on this thread -- they don't make any attempt to try to
translate, but rather extract exactly what is in the file, which for
me is the right thing..  I did not mean to represent they did anything
reasonable w/ hard links and symlinks.  Sorry for the confusion.

 > What do you know about how these utilities handle links?

Out of curiosity I just checked the "tar" and it appears to fail
completely when it sees symlinks, and create a copy if it can when it
sees a hard link.

The main reason I've used these particular versions over Cygwin based
ones is that they don't depend at all on registry settings etc.  and
always work the same way.  But that was long ago and perhaps these 
issues have been laid to rest by Cygnus.  "your mileage may vary"

	cheers,

---
John Hinsdale, Alma Mater Software, Inc., Tarrytown, NY 10591-3710 USA
[email-masked] | http://www.alma.com/staff/hin | +1 914 631 4690

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Aug 16 12:35:02 2002

Hi, John,

Cygwin does not strictly require the registry entries. Many things will 
work as long as Cygwin1.dll can be found in the PATH.

The primary function of the registry is to hold the mount table. If those 
entries are missing, then there simply won't be a file system (from the 
Cygwin program's perspective) below "/" and only the unmounted volumes 
directory ("/cygdrive/<DriveLetter>") and the "/dev" and "/proc" synthetic 
directories are available.

Anyway, you're right--this is pretty much off-topic, but since it seems 
that fairly many people are using Cygwin it's worth getting some basic 
facts on the record here.

As an aside, I've got a new motherboard in my system, so accounting for 
some catch-up work, I can now get back to preparing a Cygwin package for 
CLISP 2.2.9.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 12:00 2002-08-16, John K. Hinsdale wrote:

>John Hinsdale