Subject: [clisp-list] Problem building clisp-2000-06-03 on Slackware Linux 7.0

From: "John A. Murdie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:13:12 +0100

I've had a problem building clisp-2000-06-03 from source on a Slackware
Linux 7.0 system. I got the source from ftp://ftp.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/
/programming/languages/lisp/clisp/sources. I followed the installation
instructions (I hope) to the letter, not doing anything out of the
ordinary. When I gave the command `make check' (the variant of the
make of `Installation on Unix' step 7 printed out at the end of
`./configure'), the build continues for quite a while and then stops
with the messages:

Compiling file /usr/local/src/clisp/clisp-2000-03-06/src/gstream.lsp ...
*** - EVAL: variable #:G24996 has no value
make: *** [gstream.fas] Error 1

I'll now install the ready-built binary, as I probably should have
done in the first place, but thought my experience would be of
interest to someone. I don't subscribe to clisp-list so, if
you wish me to read a reply, please Cc. me your E-mail.

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York
England

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:49:21 +0200 (CEST)

John A. Murdie writes:

> When I gave the command `make check' (the variant of the

It's hard to guess what causes this serious error. Maybe you can try
removing C compiler optimization options, or compile with -DSAFETY=3;
see the end of unix/PLATFORMS for some more ideas.

What C compiler is your system using (gcc -v), and did you give any
special optimization options?

Bruno