Subject: [clisp-list] Cygwin feature

From: Dan Stanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 24 07:25:05 2002

I could think of a few places where having a cygwin feature would be
helpful.  Currently, my cygwin
build has no indication as to what environment it is running in.  There
are certain pathname
translation functions in the cygwin dll that are sometimes usefull.
Dan Stanger

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 24 07:43:16 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Cygwin feature"
> * Sent on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:26:36 -0600
> * Honorable Dan Stanger <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> helpful.  Currently, my cygwin build has no indication as to what
> environment it is running in.  There are certain pathname translation
> functions in the cygwin dll that are sometimes usefull.  Dan Stanger

what does (software-version) say?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.palestine-central.com/> <http://www.mideasttruth.com/>
Even Windows doesn't suck, when you use Common Lisp

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 24 09:18:09 2002

Sam,

I know you're not asking me, but I had to try this on the Windows 
stand-alone build I'm currently running (2.28) to see what it gave:

[1]> (SOFTWARE-VERSION)
"C compiler"

Based on the results from (apropos "version"), I tried these as well:

[2]> (LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-VERSION)
"2.28 (released 2002-03-03) (built on ampy.LAIR [192.168.0.1])"

[3]> (MACHINE-VERSION)
"PC/686"

[4]> (SYSTEM::VERSION)
(20020129)

The return from (SOFTWARE-VERSION) seems kind of non-specific, doesn't it? 
It also seems to me to be an odd answer to a query named "software-version".

By the way, Dan, I use Cygwin extensively, so the Cygwin version would 
interest me greatly. I don't doubt the Cygwin principals would accept a 
CLISP package into the Cygwin contributed software.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 24 12:01:13 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] Cygwin feature"
> * Sent on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:00:24 -0700
> * Honorable Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]> writes:
>

on cygwin it should be more specific.

> interest me greatly. I don't doubt the Cygwin principals would accept
> a CLISP package into the Cygwin contributed software.

that would be great!
who volunteers to submit CLISP to them?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.palestine-central.com/> <http://www.mideasttruth.com/>
Are you smart enough to use Lisp?

---

From: Peter Burwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 24 14:30:17 2002

> who volunteers to submit CLISP to them?

I'll have a look at the work necessary to make a proper cygwin package.

There is an issue with differences in NT/2000/XP versus 95/98/Me meaning
different binaries are necessary at the moment.  I think only two binaries,
but maybe the target OS can be detected during startup and have a single
binary that does the right thing.  Ideally, I would prefer cygwin1.dll to
have better support for 95/98/Me, but I think that is low down on Cygwin's
priority list.

Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 25 09:16:04 2002

Randall,

> I use Cygwin extensively, so the Cygwin version would interest me
> greatly. I don't doubt the Cygwin principals would accept a CLISP
> package into the Cygwin contributed software.

Would you like to maintain the Cygwin CLISP package?
<http://cygwin.com/setup.html>

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
A man paints with his brains and not with his hands.

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 25 17:16:05 2002

Sam,

I would take this on, but you should know that I'd face two learning curves 
in doing so:

1) Cygwin package maintenance--I've never done it before, though I was 
thinking of turning my Glimpse indexer port (it was trivial) into a Cygwin 
package, so learning the ins and outs of Cygwin package preparation and 
maintenance would kill both these birds

2) CLISP internals--I've never been under the hood of CLISP. The last 
language interpreter / compiler I worked on was XSB 
(<http://xsb.sourceforge.net/>), which also is also uses a byte-code 
compile and interpret scheme, so I do have some background with this sort 
of software.

If you find these circumstances acceptable, then I'll undertake to learn 
about Cygwin packaging.

You should inform me (or refer me to the necessary information) about the 
CLISP CVS repository, the version / tag naming scheme and which is to be 
used as the basis for a new Cygwin package, how the CLISP principals work 
w.r.t. to collaborative development, how / when to track ongoing 
developments by the CLISP developers, other lists I should subscribe to, etc.

I just saw the 2.29 release announcement, so I assume this is the target 
for a Cygwin release.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 26 06:03:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:16:36 -0700
> You should inform me (or refer me to the necessary information) about
> the CLISP CVS repository, the version / tag naming scheme and which is
> to be used as the basis for a new Cygwin package, how the CLISP
> principals work w.r.t. to collaborative development, how / when to
> track ongoing developments by the CLISP developers, other lists I
> should subscribe to, etc.

You will have to learn how to create Cygwin packages, convince the
Cygwin maintainers that CLISP is a valuable contribution to Cygwin
(this should not be too hard :-), build CLISP Cygwin packages for each
CLISP release (and, probably, for each Cygwin upgrade), monitor
Cygwin/CLISP bug reports and decide whether the bug is in Cygwin, in
CLISP or in CLISP/Cygwin interaction and redirect the bug appropriately
(or fix them yourself).  This should not be terribly time-consuming.

You should subscribe to <clisp-devel> and follow-up to this thread
there.

> I just saw the 2.29 release announcement, so I assume this is the
> target for a Cygwin release.

yes.
'cvs co -r clisp_2_29-2002-07-25'

Thanks!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Never let your schooling interfere with your education.