Subject: [clisp-list] (Update) Build problem on Debian

From: Chris Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 24 10:56:03 2004

8^)

Got 'im!  And thanks to everybody for all the useful, educational
tips, suggestions and pointers.

I focused on 2.29, and have now got a successful build with regexes in
place.  Woot!

For those that are interested, here is what it took for me to get
clisp 2.29 built and installed on a vanilla Debian Woody, kernel
2.2.25.

Make was bombing on the 'manual' portion of the 'all' target, so I got
rid of the 'manual' and also the 'docs' dependencies (just to be safe
- I can always use the Debian clisp-doc pkg).  I also removed the
'install-man' and 'install-doc' dependencies on the 'install' target.

It was also necessary to manually fix up the the 'MODULES =' line near
the top of the generated Makefile to use some information I found in
'makemake'.

Specifically, it seems that 'postgres' (put there by 'configure
--with-module=postgres') has to be manually changed to either of
postgres632 or postgres642 - I used postgres642, though I haven't
tested it yet (gotta sleep _sometime_).  I use Postgres 7.3, but they
are pretty good about maintaining compatibility for a few versions, so
I'm hoping.

Also, 'bindings', if selected with '--with-module=bindings' should be
altered to 'bindings/libc6' (for my box), or the build fails.

It looks like '--with-module=regexp' actually worked with no tweaking
necessary at all - if I run 'clisp -K full', then '(use-package
"REGEXP")', voila!  they are there!  The README in the
mybuild-dir/regexp directory mentioned this, and also explains how to
build an image with regexp.o included, though the 'full' image already
seems to have regexp.o.

Thanks again for all your help,
+Chris

-- 
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad
judgment.
- Jim Horning