Subject: [clisp-list] compiling 2.26

From: "Eric de Groot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:38:41 -0700

Hey-

    Me again:P  Anyways, I still havent gotten that ffi lisp for
libmysqlclient to compile, so I'm trying the unstable version 2.26 to see if
this was possibly a bug that may have been addressed.  Anyways, for 2.26,
make is failing at:

./lisp.run -m 1000KW -M interpreted.mem -B . -N locale -Efile
UTF-8 -norc -q -c screen.lisp

Compiling file /root/clisp-2.26/src/screen.lisp ...
*** - There is no package with name "SCREEN"
make: *** [screen.fas] Error 1

In screen.lisp the (use-package ... "SCREEN") isent find SCREEN?  Anyone
know what the problem might be?  2.25 compiled straight through no probs.
Thanks!  CLISP needs mysql!

-Eric de Groot
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 2001 10:19:04 -0400

> * In message <008801c0e8ca$cbf060e0$4381fb18@CX417245D>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] compiling 2.26"
> * Sent on Tue, 29 May 2001 22:38:41 -0700
> * Honorable "Eric de Groot" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> libmysqlclient to compile, so I'm trying the unstable version 2.26 to

what makes you think it is unstable?!

> see if this was possibly a bug that may have been addressed.  Anyways,
> for 2.26, make is failing at:
> 
> ../lisp.run -m 1000KW -M interpreted.mem -B . -N locale -Efile

where did you get your CLISP sources?
what is your system? (uname -a)
why are you building CLISP as root?!
what command did you use to compile CLISP?

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

---

From: "Eric de Groot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:47:01 -0700

Sam-

    Thanks for the replies.  I don't personally think it is unstable, but
since the clisp home lists the last stable release 2.25 and
ftp://clisp.sourceforge.net/pub/clisp/2.26/ where I got it from lists 2.26
as a pretest in the readme.  I'm running Debian 2.2, the kernel is
2.2.19pre17.  Sorry, I keep forgetting to include this stuff.  What does it
matter if I build as root?  make install has to be done as root, and once
that's completed the build files can be deleted.  Obviously I'm no systems
admin expert so please enlighten me on that one;)  To build, in the unpacked
clisp-2.26 dir, I first ran the config script ./configure, then I just copy
and pasted the suggested commands at the end of configure.  Worked with
2.25.  Thanks for all your help.  Btw, in another message from you said you
may have fixed the problem I was having.  Would one of the nightly snapshots
cover this?  Thanks again!

-Eric de Groot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Steingold" <[email-masked]>
To: "Eric de Groot" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: [clisp-list] compiling 2.26

> _______________________________________________
> clisp-list mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clisp-list
>

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 2001 18:06:26 -0400

> * In message <004d01c0e952$0fe48b00$4381fb18@CX417245D>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] compiling 2.26"
> * Sent on Wed, 30 May 2001 14:47:01 -0700
>     Thanks for the replies.  I don't personally think it is unstable,
> but since the clisp home lists the last stable release 2.25 and
> ftp://clisp.sourceforge.net/pub/clisp/2.26/ where I got it from lists
> 2.26 as a pretest in the readme.

fixed.

>  does it matter if I build as root?

you should do as root only those things which cannot be done as
non-root.  building is not one of those tasks.

> Btw, in another message from you said you may have fixed the problem I
> was having.  Would one of the nightly snapshots cover this?  

yes - please get the CVS tree (see the homepage for instructions).

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.

---

From: "Eric de Groot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:09:55 -0700

Sam-

    I tried the instructions for anonymous cvs access at
ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/snapshots/README but when I login, it
asks me for a password.  It doesent except anything.  is anoncvs.gnu.org
still the main cvs repository?  Thanks.

-Eric de Groot

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 2001 10:07:45 -0400

> * In message <00cc01c0e966$06370920$4381fb18@CX417245D>
> * Sent on Wed, 30 May 2001 17:09:55 -0700
> ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/snapshots/README but when I login,
> it asks me for a password.  It doesent except anything.  is
> anoncvs.gnu.org still the main cvs repository?  Thanks.

The README is obsolete - I just fixed it.
We have been using sourceforge CVS for more than a year.
Please follow the instructions on http://clisp.cons.org, and report
problems in the CVS version on clisp-devel.

PS. Please _do_ edit the quoted messages for _brevity_!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Every day above ground is a good day.

---

From: "Eric de Groot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 18:09:01 -0700

Sam-

    Ok, I checked out clisp from your cvs repos at sourceforge today, but I
still can't compile.  2.25.1 compiled straight through, but 2.26, and this
latest checkout both fail when screen.lisp is getting compiled.  Telling me
"There is no package with name "SCREEN"".  I looked at screen.lisp from the
checkout vrs screen.lisp from 2.25.1, and the checkout includes "SCREEN" in
the (use-package ) statement, which I thought might be causing the error
because it's trying to include itself, but changing it didn't do anything.
When I run makemake, I had to do it with --with-noreadline
and --with-no-termcap-ncurses, which btw are both installed (libreadline,
libncurses, libtermcap), but configure still doesent seem to find them.  my
libncurses doesent have tgetent(), it's version 4.x something, the latest
available from the debian potato branch.  Whatever, I don't think i'll need
either for what I'm doing.  Again, this is on debian 2.2 (2.2.19pre17).  Is
screen.lisp supposed to be skipped with --with-no-termcap-ncurses?  Do you
have any idea where the problem might be?  This started with 2.26, if
tgetent isent found, and --with-no-termcap-ncurses is passed to makemake, it
fails trying to compile screen.lisp.  There are big differences in makemake
between 2.25.1 and >=2.26 so I'm thinking that's where my problem might be.
I'll keep lookin around in there.  Also, there is a bug with makemake from
the checkout, the line(3389 for me):

echol
"DISTFILE=$(PACKDIR)/$(TOPDIR)-"`uname -m`-`uname -p`-`uname -s`-`uname -r`"
$(PACKEXT)"

needed to be changed to:

echol
"DISTFILE=${PACKDIR}/${TOPDIR}-"`uname -m`-`uname -p`-`uname -s`-`uname -r`"
${PACKEXT}"

before it would run for me.  That's curly braces instead of parens.

Thanks for all your help.

-Eric de Groot

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jun 2001 10:16:57 -0400

> * In message <00c101c0ea37$71d5ed00$4381fb18@CX417245D>
> * Sent on Thu, 31 May 2001 18:09:01 -0700
> Telling me "There is no package with name "SCREEN"".

this means that your termcap library is somehow deficient.
you should investigate this.

Nevertheless, this is not a good reason for CLISP not to compile.
Please do 'cvs up' - I believe I just fixed your problems.

Thanks for your bug reports.

Please note that you should subscribe to clisp-devel and ask questions
there, since you are not using a released version of CLISP.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Hard work has a future payoff.  Laziness pays off NOW.