Subject: [clisp-list] Looking for bits of history

From: Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:55:23 +0200

I would appreciate it if the CLISP authors or maintainers could tell
something about its history, e.g. when and how the project was started and
by whom, what were its design goals, the major implementation challenges,
etc. I'm just curious.

Paolo
-- 
EncyCMUCLopedia * Extensive collection of CMU Common Lisp documentation
http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 May 2000 16:09:53 -0400

>>>> In message <[email-masked]>
>>>> On the subject of "[clisp-list] Looking for bits of history"
>>>> Sent on Sat May 13 14:50:47 EDT 2000
>>>> Honorable Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]> writes:

When I asked for a doc/clisp-history file, Bruno told me that he
"builds software, not myths."

nevertheless, I join you in your request.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,
(http://www.linux.org) the choice of the GNU (http://www.gnu.org) generation.
A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep.

---

From: Paolo Amoroso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 20:47:18 +0200

> "builds software, not myths."

Well, I was actually looking for trivia, not myths (for the latter there
are already LispMs, Lucid and GLS :) Whether CLISP started as a
research--on which topics?--or personal project, whether portability was a
design choice from the start, etc.

Paolo

---

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 21:46:15 +0200 (MET DST)

Paolo Amoroso writes:

> Well, I was actually looking for trivia, ... Whether CLISP started as a

Most of these questions are answered when you download the first public
release of clisp, at
  ftp://ftp.sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.uni-paderborn.de/atari/lang/lisp/clisp/

and the sources at
  ftp://sunsite.univie.ac.at/pub/languages/lisp/clisp/binaries/atari/oldclisp-source/

Bruno