Subject: [clisp-list] Paren placement poll - please participate!

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Dec 2000 13:41:00 -0500

Please participate in the poll on the future default behavior of the
CLISP printer!

Traditionally, clisp has been printing lists like this:

        (first (second third
                 fourth
        )      )

CLtL/CLHS use the different style:

        (first (second third
                fourth))

This is customisable using
 `lisp:*print-rpars*'
  (http://clisp.sourceforge.net/impnotes.html#pr-rpars)
and
 `lisp:*print-indent-lists*'
  (http://clisp.sourceforge.net/impnotes.html#pr-indent)
so you can change the style at will.

The question of the poll is the _default_ value of these variables,
i.e., what the novice user sees.

You can vote
        YES, if you want to _KEEP_ the current default (traditional
             CLISP printing _with_ hanging parens)
or
        NO,  if you want to _CHANGE_ the default to the one used by
             CLtL/CLHS (_no_ hanging parens)

The _correct_ way to vote it to visit 
https://sourceforge.net/survey/survey.php?group_id=1355&survey_id=11177

this requires a free account on sourceforge.
please get it - you will be able to fill out our other survey too!

If you cannot use the sourceforge, please reply to this list with your
vote.  Your vote message must consist of a single line
        "My vote: NO"
or
        "My vote: YES"
Discussion is welcome, but must go to in a separate message.
There is no deadline, but you are encouraged to vote ASAP.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arabs leaders say to their people on http://www.memri.org/
War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.

---

From: bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 13:07:31 +0800

My vote: YES

---

From: John Towler <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Dec 2000 22:48:58 -0600

My vote: NO

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 2000 13:56:48 -0500

>              CLtL/CLHS (_no_ hanging parens)

There have been 3 "YES" votes and 11 "NO" votes.

The default behavior has just been changed.

The development team thanks everyone who participated in the poll.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
The world is coming to an end.  Please log off.

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Dec 2000 18:22:53 -0500

>>>>> "Sam" == Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> CLtL/CLHS (_no_ hanging parens)

    Sam> There have been 3 "YES" votes and 11 "NO" votes.

    Sam> The default behavior has just been changed.

    Sam> The development team thanks everyone who participated in the poll.

Just out of curiosity, how many people are on the list?  (I didn't
vote because either way is ok, but I would have voted for CLtL if
forced too.)

Ray

---

From: Carlo Traverso <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:41:54 +0100 (MET)

>>>>> "Raymond" == Raymond Toy <[email-masked]> writes:

    >>> You can vote YES, if you want to _KEEP_ the current default
    >>> (traditional CLISP printing _with_ hanging parens) or NO, if
    >>> you want to _CHANGE_ the default to the one used by CLtL/CLHS
    >>> (_no_ hanging parens)

    Sam> The development team thanks everyone who participated in the
    Sam> poll.

    Raymond> Just out of curiosity, how many people are on the list?
    Raymond> (I didn't vote because either way is ok, but I would have
    Raymond> voted for CLtL if forced too.)

    Raymond> Ray _______________________________________________
    Raymond> clisp-list mailing list [email-masked]
    Raymond> http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/listinfo/clisp-list

Voting was quite difficult: you had to register at sourceforge, but I
did not succeed in registering: I received an email message with an
URL to which I had to connect, but it was impossible (twice); I did
not insist since either way was OK for me, but I would have voted for
CLtL too.

Carlo Traverso

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Dec 2000 10:31:02 -0500

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] Re: Paren placement poll - RESULTS"
> * Sent on 13 Dec 2000 18:22:53 -0500
> * Honorable Raymond Toy <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Just out of curiosity, how many people are on the list?

http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/roster/clisp-list

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
All generalizations are wrong.  Including this.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Dec 2000 10:34:05 -0500

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:41:54 +0100 (MET)
> * Honorable Carlo Traverso <[email-masked]> writes:
>

they are quite overloaded these days.

you might want to try again next week - they are upgrading their
hardware tomorrow.

> not insist since either way was OK for me, but I would have voted for

you should have voted by mail.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Let us remember that ours is a nation of lawyers and order.