Subject: [clisp-list] inspector via browser

From: Daniel Freudenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 18 02:14:07 2003

First of all, Using the quit URL *does* return me to the prompt. Sorry, my
fault, I have probably been trying too many things at the same time.
 
I still can't quite seem to get Netscape to launch on the correct page
though. As it turns out, the page it directs me to is the 'smart browsing'
page. Disabling smart browsing, I notice that the address displayed in the
URL line is: "&". Netscape is then unable to resolve this host.

Pasting the URL that inspect prints (using either 127.0.0.1, localhost, or
the URL that is given when no browser is specified) works fine. I don't know
if this is be a proxy problem, but changing proxy settings (either in
Netscape where I added 127.0.0.1 to list of URLs that bypass the proxy), or
in control panel (bypass proxy for local address in internet options) does
not change much.

By the way, when trying to launch IE (I know this is not going to work, but
still), it tries to open something like 127.0.0.1...:s%20& (going from
memory here)

For a while I thought that maybe inspect might be sending a different URL,
but adding
 
(format t "http://~a:~d/0/:s"
                              (if *inspect-browser* "127.0.0.1"
                                  (subseq host 0 (position #\Space host)))
                              port)
 
to inspect-frontend in inspect.lisp (this is the bit called by browse-url,
which I presume launches the browser), prints the exact same url that
inspect normally does. So, it does look like inspect invokes Netscape with
the URL that works fine when I paste it. So maybe there is something wrong
with my (proxy) settings? I have set explicit proxies for my browsers, but
like I said, setting the local address to be bypassed doesn't change much.

I'm sorry, but I'm in the dark here.
 
By the way, I am running CLISP 2.30, under EMACS 21.2, Netscape 7.02. I've
tried this on both XP and Win2K with the same effect, so XP does not appear
to be the problem. I doubt if this is relevant, but I am behind a hardware
router and firewall.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel Freudenthal