Subject: [clisp-list] Problems with FORMAT control string

From: Edi Weitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Sep 20 11:04:03 2002

Hi!

CLISP 2.29 barfs on this control string

  "~@3A: ~,2F~%"

  *** - Non-existent directive
  Current point in control string:
    ~@3A: ~,2F~%
      |

which I think is OK - at least it works as expected in CMUCL and
LispWorks.

Is this a bug and if so is it fixed in 2.30? (My distro - Gentoo Linux
- is still at 2.29.)

Thanks,
Edi.

---

From: "Pierpaolo BERNARDI" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Sep 20 12:21:08 2002

From: "Edi Weitz" <[email-masked]>

> which I think is OK - at least it works as expected in CMUCL and

It is not OK.

From Hyperspec 22.3 Formatted Output:

"A directive consists of a tilde, optional prefix parameters 
separated by commas, optional colon and at-sign modifiers, 
and a single character indicating what kind of directive this 
is."

P.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Sep 20 12:37:02 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] Problems with FORMAT control string"
> * Sent on 20 Sep 2002 20:03:18 +0200
> * Honorable Edi Weitz <[email-masked]> writes:
>

I don't think you are allowed to put ""@:" before numeric arguments:

CLHS 22.3:

        A directive consists of a tilde, optional prefix parameters
        separated by commas, optional colon and at-sign modifiers, and a
        single character indicating what kind of directive this is.

i.e., you should write "~3@a" instead of "~@3a".

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
If You Want Breakfast In Bed, Sleep In the Kitchen.

---

From: Edi Weitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Sep 20 13:33:04 2002

> and a single character indicating what kind of directive this 

Thanks to you and Sam Steingold for your replies. I should have
checked the CLHS before asking.

Sorry for the noise,
Edi.