Subject: [clisp-list] getting clisp to work with Windows2000

From: "Rohan Nicholls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:47:53 +0200

I would like to thank the creators and maintainers of clisp for making a
common lisp implementation available for those trying to learn and
hopefully use what I am discovering is a fascinating and fun language,
one that I intend to use a lot in my own development, as it seems
designed for making stable programs quickly.

That aside, I am sure this has been found, but I am a poor sod using a
Windows2000 machine, and I had to fiddle around to make the install
batch file work.  In the end this is what I found was the problem:

The error was a win32 problem about not being able to find the path
specified, and so it could not create the batch file on the desktop.

That is because in win2k they have changed the location of the user's
profiles folder to being in the root directory instead of contained
within the winnt folder, and changed the name of the folder.

So in the install.lisp file starting at line 70
(let ((bat-file (merge-pathnames
                 "Documents and Settings/All Users/Desktop/clisp.bat"
                 (concatenate 'string "C:" "/"))))

In the original file it asked for the "windir" enviroment variable, but
that gives the winnt directory, not the root directory which if 
the windir is "C\winnt" would just be "C:" at least in my case, and the
other change is that in the first merge-pathnames string 
"Profiles" should be "Documents and Settings"

 (let ((bat-file (merge-pathnames
                 "Profiles/All Users/Desktop/clisp.bat"
                 (concatenate 'string (getenv "windir") "/"))))

The two are above to compare differences, and although I am sure this
has been solved, if not I hope it helps someone.  I would like to
mention at this point that it is a commendation to whoever wrote the
files I have been rooting around in, that they are so clearly written
that even a newbie to lisp such as myself could make sense enough to
make the changes necessary.

Thanks, 

Rohan

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Aug 2001 13:49:43 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] getting clisp to work with Windows2000"
> * Sent on Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:47:53 +0200
> * Honorable "Rohan Nicholls" <[email-masked]> writes:
>

interesting - this is not what I observe on a win2k professional here at
work. 

I changed install.lisp to use the registry to get the location of the
common desktop.

(dir-key-single-value :win32 "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders" "Common Desktop")

should return your directory.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
(lisp programmers do it better)

---

From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:15:22 -0700

Sam,

I think both options are valid for Win2K installations. My from-scratch 
Win2K installation conforms to that described by Rohan Nicholls. It may be 
that when you upgrade a Windows NT 4 installation it leaves the user 
profils in their NT4-standard location under /winnt/.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

 > within the winnt folder, and changed the name of the folder.

interesting - this is not what I observe on a win2k professional here at work.

(dir-key-single-value :win32 
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell 
Folders" "Common Desktop")

---

From: Reini Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:24:22 +0200 (CEST)

>    Folders" "Common Desktop")

thanks. 
that's much better, esp. for foreign versions.