Subject: [clisp-list] compilation under FreeBSD

From: "Walter C. Pelissero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Oct 26 06:10:05 2002

Since I haven't been able to link external modules with my old CLISP
distribution (core dump) I thought about giving a try at the latest
CVS snapshot.  Unfortunately it didn't work either as I couldn't link
in any module from the distribution (no --with-module option to
makemake).

This raise a natural question: are external modules supported at all
under FreeBSD?

(If you like I can provide more informations.)

-- 
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.org

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 29 05:55:04 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] compilation under FreeBSD"
> * Sent on Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:03:18 +0100
> * Honorable "Walter C. Pelissero" <[email-masked]> writes:
>

external modules are supported on all UNIX flavors and I have never had
any problems with FreeBSD.  Indeed, all recent CLISP releases include
binary distributions for FreeBSD which include the regexp module.

did you try

$ ./configure --with-module=regexp --build build-dir

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat8 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Yeah, yeah, I love cats too... wanna trade recipes?

---

From: "Walter C. Pelissero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Oct 29 06:17:04 2002

> binary distributions for FreeBSD which include the regexp module.

Sorry I didn't amend my posting with my latest breakthrough.  CLISP
indeed compiles and link external modules on FreeBSD.  It's just that
by mistake I've been compiling with Pthreads support, which I
understand is not supported.  In fact the regexp library won't link
to the full system dumping a core during the execution of:

   full/lisp.run -B . -M base/lispinit.mem -norc -q -i [...] -x
   (saveinitmem "full/lispinit.mem")

Removing the thread stuff everything worked fine.

BTW, I'm trying to interface a C library that would spawn threads
(Posix threads) and them, in turn, call back CLISP.  Is there any
support for that?  The alternative is writing a stupid C stub that
serializes the access to CLISP: not brilliant, though.

-- 
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.org