Subject: [clisp-list] I am having some serious trouble with setting up clisp

From: Sam P <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jan 1 16:21:11 2004

I have downloaded clisp and have tried to follow the install 
instructions. I have been trying to install it on my macintosh running 
10.2.6. I have gotten it working before but had to reinstall my whole 
OS. Can someone help me out? I need more clear instructions. I am 
running emacs on the macintosh. Please let me know.

Sam

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jan 3 17:46:46 2004

> * Sam P <[email-masked]> [2004-01-01 19:20:53 -0500]:
>
> 	instructions. I have been trying to install it on my macintosh
> 	running 10.2.6. I have gotten it working before but had to
> 	reinstall my whole OS. Can someone help me out? I need more
> 	clear instructions. I am running emacs on the macintosh. Please
> 	let me know.

you might get a response if you were more specific: what did you
do, what was your problem &c.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Apathy Club meeting this Friday.  If you want to come, you're not invited.

---

From: Sam P <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jan 3 20:14:11 2004

I think the Install file for the Unix section of the Clisp is just not 
detailed or clear enough for me. When do I do exactly what commands and 
where do I do them? That is pretty much what I am asking. What was the 
command to start Clisp? Maybe I do have it installed and don't know how 
to start it up. Please let me know so I can have some more insight.

Sam

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jan 3 20:32:12 2004

> * Sam P <[email-masked]> [2004-01-03 23:13:55 -0500]:
>
> detailed or clear enough for me. When do I do exactly what commands
> and where do I do them? That is pretty much what I am asking. What was
> the command to start Clisp? Maybe I do have it installed and don't
> know how to start it up. Please let me know so I can have some more
> insight.

clisp is started with command "clisp".
"man clisp" will give you the invocation options.
building CLISP is usually accomplished by

$ ./configure --build build-dir

and installation by

$ cd build-dir
$ make install

as root.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
((lambda (x) `(,x ',x)) '(lambda (x) `(,x ',x)))

---

From: Sam P <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jan 4 06:30:27 2004

Ok I am using emacs on my Macintosh. I did a /configure --build 
build-dir. That looked fine. Later on in the output after the 
./configure --build build-dir there was errors like these

bytecode.d:163: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:164: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:165: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:166: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:167: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:168: illegal expression, found `&&'
eval.d:5852: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:5852: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6236: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6236: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6239: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6239: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6246: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6246: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6250: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6250: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6253: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6253: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6260: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6260: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6267: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6267: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6275: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6275: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6282: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6282: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6294: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6294: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6306: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6306: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6315: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6315: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6324: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6324: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6337: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6337: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6350: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6350: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6364: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6364: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6371: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6371: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6379: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6379: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6391: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6391: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6406: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6406: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6419: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6419: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6433: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'

The last three lines were:

eval.d: At top level:
eval.d:2107: parse error before '}' token
make: *** [eval.o] Error 1

then I did
[Sam-Ps-Computer:~/Desktop/clisp-2.32] samp% cd build-dir/
[Sam-Ps-Computer:~/Desktop/clisp-2.32/build-dir] samp% su root
Password:
[Sam-Ps-Computer:Desktop/clisp-2.32/build-dir] samp# make install

gcc -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type  
-Wno-sign-compare -O2 -DUNIX_BINARY_DISTRIB -DUNICODE -DNO_GETTEXT 
-DNO_SIGSEGV -c eval.c
lispbibl.d:7384: illegal external declaration, missing `;' after `__SP'
eval.d:1784: illegal expression, found `#'
bytecode.d:4: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:5: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:6: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:7: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:9: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:10: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:11: illegal expression, found `&&'

up to where it says bytecode.d:295

and then it says

eval.d:5852: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:5852: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6236: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6236: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6239: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6239: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6246: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6246: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6250: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6250: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6253: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6253: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6260: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6260: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:6267: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:6267: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'

for a while and then

cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in 
basic mode
In file included from eval.d:7:
lispbibl.d:7384: warning: volatile register variables don't work as you 
might wish

for a few lines and

eval.d: In function `invoke_handlers':
eval.d:631: warning: variable `other_ranges' might be clobbered by 
`longjmp' or `vfork'
eval.d:634: warning: variable `FRAME' might be clobbered by `longjmp' 
or `vfork'
eval.d:646: warning: variable `i' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or 
`vfork'
eval.d: In function `get_closure':
eval.d:1798: `opt_label' undeclared (first use in this function)
eval.d:1798: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
eval.d:1798: for each function it appears in.)
eval.d:1798: `rest_label' undeclared (first use in this function)
eval.d:1798: `key_label' undeclared (first use in this function)
eval.d:1798: `allow_label' undeclared (first use in this function)
eval.d:1798: `aux_label' undeclared (first use in this function)
eval.d:1798: `end_label' undeclared (first use in this function)
eval.d:1798: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no 
effect
eval.d:1798: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no 
effect
eval.d:1798: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no 
effect
eval.d:1798: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no 
effect
eval.d:1798: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no 
effect
eval.d:1798: parse error before '{' token
eval.d:1798: `opt' undeclared (first use in this function)

for a while

The last three lines are

eval.d: At top level:
eval.d:2107: parse error before '}' token
make: *** [eval.o] Error 1

Then when I do a

[Sam-Ps-Computer:Desktop/clisp-2.32/build-dir] samp# clisp
clisp: Command not found.

[Sam-Ps-Computer:Desktop/clisp-2.32/build-dir] samp# (clisp)
clisp: Command not found.

[Sam-Ps-Computer:Desktop/clisp-2.32/build-dir] samp# cd ..
[Sam-Ps-Computer:samp/Desktop/clisp-2.32] samp# clisp
clisp: Command not found.

Those are the exact details of what is going on. I think I have gotten 
a previous version working before but I needed to reinstall my OS 
recently.
Do you live in the Boston area?
Maybe I could meet up with you, and if you fix this, I could probably 
pay you a little bit of money for your time.

Sam

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jan 4 07:50:20 2004

> * Sam P <[email-masked]> [2004-01-04 09:29:30 -0500]:
>
>   Ok I am using emacs on my Macintosh.

please read <http://clisp.cons.org/clisp.html#bugs>

$ uname -a
$ gcc --version

> make: *** [eval.o] Error 1

this means that build failed, so it is pointless to try to install.

> make: *** [eval.o] Error 1

same as above.

> clisp: Command not found.

of course - build & install failed.

> a previous version working before but I needed to reinstall my OS

please try to install libsigsegv (see unix/INSTALL).
please make sure your GCC installation is good (bad GCC appears to cause
your problems).

you might want to try MacOS binaries supplied on
<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1355>. 

> and if you fix this, I could probably

If you would like to hire me as a CLISP consultant, please contact me
via _private e-mail_ with the list of services you are looking for.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.

---

From: james anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jan 4 08:06:05 2004

hello;

> ./configure --build build-dir there was errors like these

these are my notes on how to do a build under os x 10.2.8 based on a 
recent clisp cvs.
you can ignore the steps about patching or replacing clos.lisp.

# clisp build using 20031223 cvs

cd /Development/Source/
mkdir clisp-2003-12-23
cd clisp-2003-12-23
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/clisp get .

mkdir withDec2002gcc
./configure --without-dynamic-ffi withDec2002gcc
## for method-combination extensions either,
## if working with the base cvs version
cd src
patch -b -p0 < ../../diff-20031108b.txt

## or, otherwise copy the modified version
cp ../../method-combination-extensions/clos.lisp .

cd ../withDec2002gcc

# as per the then emitted instructions

./makemake    > Makefile
make config.lisp
emacs config.lisp
limit stacksize 8192
make

# failed in make manual with an autoconf error
# subsequent make check succeeded, so i tried a make clisp and that made
# the combined lisp.run and lispinit.mem

make check was ok

# suggested workaround

touch ../src/VERSION
make