Subject: [clisp-list] clisp for OSX?

From: "David J. Finton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:09:16 -0500 (CDT)

I tried mailing one of the clisp developers and received an automated
note that I should contact this list.  So here goes.

Is there indeed a clisp binary for Macintosh OS-X?  I was told that
there was, and I downloaded a Mac tarball from the binaries page.  But
after expanding this, I wasn't able to find any binaries, and couldn't
find any further directions for use under Mac OS-X.

So I tried building clisp.  I did a "make" in the clisp folder, as
directed, but got errors (see below).  I think I know how to remove
some of these (for example, the one referring to dbuenzli).  But the
fact that I would need to do so makes me think that there are deeper
problems here, or else I'm just overlooking the obvious.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

David Finton
[email-masked]

---------- Build attempt: -----------
[localhost:~/Downloads/clisp-2.25.1] djf% make
cc -O  base/modules.o base/lisp.a base/libsigsegv.a base/libiconv.a
base/libintl.a base/libreadline.a -liconv -L/Users/dbuenzli/tmp/build/lib
-o base/lisp.run
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name
(/Users/dbuenzli/tmp/build/lib) does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: base/lisp.a is out of
date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: base/libsigsegv.a is out of
date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: base/libiconv.a is out of
date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: base/libintl.a is out of
date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: base/libreadline.a is out of
date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -liconv
make: *** [base/lisp.run] Error 1
[localhost:~/Downloads/clisp-2.25.1] djf%

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jun 2001 23:41:54 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] clisp for OSX?"
> * Sent on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:09:16 -0500 (CDT)
> * Honorable "David J. Finton" <[email-masked]> writes:
>

what you got appears to be a binary distribution.
it does require compiling a simple wrapper for installation.
please do edit the makefile as you wish.

actually, you don't have to compile anything.
if you unpack the binary distribution in directory ${FOO}, you can run
CLISP like this:
${FOO}/base/lisp.run -B ${FOO} -M ${FOO}/base/lispinit.mem

>   Any suggestions?

if you fail to make use of the binary distribution, get the sources and
compile them using "./configure --build build".

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Yeah, yeah, I love cats too... wanna trade recipes?

---

From: "David J. Finton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:49:14 -0500 (CDT)

Sam, thanks for your help!  I tried following your suggestions, but
ran into the following additional problems:

> ${FOO}/base/lisp.run -B ${FOO} -M ${FOO}/base/lispinit.mem

The version I unpacked doesn't have lisp.run anywhere.  It does have
base/lispinit.mem, though.

> compile them using "./configure --build build".

Since the version I unpacked appears to have the source, I tried building
this (unsuccessfully).  Do you mean I should unpack a different version?

This version doesn't have a file called configure anywhere in the
directory structure.  I did find src/config.fas and src/config.lisp
though.

I tried commenting out "-L /Users/dbuenzli/tmp/build/lib" in the Makefile
and tried a make, for giggles.  Didn't work (errors below).

So.  Is this really a binary distribution if it doesn't have lisp.run?
If so, can you tell me what to look for -- I'm pretty green when it comes
to building.

Thanks for looking at this,

David Finton

------------------------------------------------------------------------

base/libintl.a base/libreadline.a -liconv -o base/lisp.run

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jun 2001 23:28:08 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] clisp for OSX?"
> * Sent on Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:49:14 -0500 (CDT)

so it is a binary distribution.
you did not even post the name of the file you got.
(people, everyone, when sending a bug report, please tell us where you
got the file, its name, timestamp, moon phase when you unpacked it, the
position of your microwave oven relative to the TV set &c).

> base/libintl.a base/libreadline.a -liconv -o base/lisp.run

this is trying to build lisp.run.
you can try to investigate the error message &c, but your best bet is
getting the sources and building from them.

go to http://clisp.cons.org
get the source tarball (clisp-2.26.tar.gz or clisp-2.26.tar.bz2)
untar
do ./configure --build build

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
When we write programs that "learn", it turns out we do and they don't.

---

From: "David J. Finton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:01:53 -0500 (CDT)

Okay.  I've attempted to follow your advice and build from the sources:
clisp-2.26.tar.gz, from (I
believe) ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/source/latest/

I discovered that some of the tips in the PLATFORMS file seem to be
wrong for Mac OS X v10.0.3, since bash and ulimit aren't available
here.  But the instruction for increasing the stacksize turned out to
be necessary.  (I have tcsh, and used "unlimit stacksize" followed by
"limit stacksize 8192".  The previous value was 512).

Things seem to get built until :
----
Compilation of file
/private/var/tmp/lisp/clisp-2.26/build-june7/macros3.lisp is finished.
0 errors, 0 warnings
./lisp.run -m 1000KW -M interpreted.mem -B . -N locale -Efile UTF-8 -norc
-q -c foreign1.lisp

Compiling file /private/var/tmp/lisp/clisp-2.26/build-june7/foreign1.lisp
...
*** - There is no package with name "FFI"
make: *** [foreign1.fas] Error 1
[localhost:lisp/clisp-2.26/build-june7] root# 

Any advice on where to go from here?

Thanks,

David Finton

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Jun 2001 10:49:11 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:01:53 -0500 (CDT)
> ....

please get the "no-ffi" patch from the same place you got your sources,
then reconfigure and rebuild.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
The paperless office will become a reality soon after the paperless toilet.

---

From: "David J. Finton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:02:38 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks for your help!  It's been a learning experience -- I didn't
know what "patch" was before this, or what I should be patching.  But
the build succeeded, and both "make test" and "make testsuite" passed.

Before I "make install" I just started wondering whether I should
have used the other patches as well.  I got clisp-2.26.tar.gz from
the WWW sources directory, and I only applied the "no-ffi" patch --
and that only because the build failed.

Are the other patches needed?  And if I apply them, do I again
patch src/makemake.in, or some other file?

Incidentally, I ignored the unix/PLATFORMS advice that said to
remove optimization from the compile flags (-O, -O2) for Mac OS X.
I used the stock tcsh, and increased the stacksize to 8192 via
the commands unlimit and limit (inspired by the PLATFORMS advice,
but slightly different).

Thanks,

David

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jun 2001 13:28:15 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * Sent on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:02:38 -0500 (CDT)

great!

> and that only because the build failed.

probably not - but see DIFF-README in the same directory as the patches.

> remove optimization from the compile flags (-O, -O2) for Mac OS X.

interesting - what C compiler did you use?
cc --version?
clisp (software-type) and (software-version)?

Thanks!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Whether pronounced "leenooks" or "line-uks", it's better than Windows.

---

From: "David J. Finton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:00:43 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks again.  Here's some info for this data point:

> clisp (software-type) and (software-version)?

[localhost:tmp/lisp/clisp-2.26] root# cc --version
2.95.2

clisp says:

[1]> (lisp-implementation-version)
"2.26 (released 2001-05-23) (built 3201629965) (memory 3201630586)"
[2]> (machine-version)
"POWER MACINTOSH"
[3]> (software-version)
"GNU C 2.95.2 19991024 (release)"
[4]> (system::version)
(20010503)
[5]> (software-type)
"ANSI C program"

This is on a G4 running OS X, version 10.0.3.

--David Finton

---

From: Sunil Mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:07:37 -0700

I have rebuilt the latest version of clisp on OSX as well, can 
can confirm David's observations. The only thing I had to do was 
change the stack size to 8MB. Otherwise everything went smoothly.

I think the unix/PLATFORMS file needs an entry explicitly 
devoted to OS X, as opposed to the now out-of-date entry for OS 
X server. My guess is that the server would behave similarly 
now, though someone would actually have to confirm this :-)

Sunil

On Monday, June 18, 2001, at 04:00 PM, David J. Finton wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> clisp-list mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clisp-list
>