Subject: [clisp-list] Re: ext:with-keyboard question

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 18 05:59:04 2004

> SYS::INPUT-CHARACTER-CHAR will definitely get you #\q out of the
> SYSTEM::INPUT-CHARACTER struct.

> I am not sure why it (or something similar) is not exported.

This code (xcharin.lisp) is meant to 1. provide backward compatibility for
CLtL1 programs, 2. accomodate the notion of "keyboard event" into something
that resembles a character.

Probably these two things should be separated. Or the CLtL1 be removed
entirely.

Bruno

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 18 06:52:01 2004

> * Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> [2004-07-18 14:47:00 +0200]:
>
> This code (xcharin.lisp) is meant to 1. provide backward compatibility
> for CLtL1 programs, 2. accomodate the notion of "keyboard event" into
> something that resembles a character.

IMO:

CLtL1 should be kept only as a side-effect of other code,
when it offers some standard (= known) function names.

keyboard events are nice to have, but they (and SCREEN) should be
discarded in favor of CLIM (or CLIM is built on top of them).

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Yeah, yeah, I love cats too... wanna trade recipes?