Subject: [clisp-list] CLISP MT

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jun 2001 09:43:33 -0400

Don Cohen <[email-masked]> is accepting pledges to pay for
CLISP MT.  Right now we have $1,000.00.  Please contact Don personally
if you would like to contribute.
The job posting is here:
http://sourceforge.net/people/viewjob.php?group_id=1355&job_id=3573
The final decision on whether to the job is done (and thus to release
the money) shall be made by Bruno.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Flying is not dangerous; crashing is.

---

From: Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:51:38 -0400

> X-Envelope-To: 	
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Mail-Copies-To: never
> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> User-Agent: Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.0.104
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Sender: [email-masked]
> X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
> X-Mailman-Version: 2.0.5
> Precedence: bulk
> 

What is CLISP MT?

Cheers

-- 
Marco Antoniotti ========================================================
NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group        tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA                 http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jun 2001 10:57:37 -0400

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] CLISP MT"
> * Sent on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:51:38 -0400
> * Honorable Marco Antoniotti <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > X-Envelope-To: 	
> > Reply-To: [email-masked]
> > Mail-Copies-To: never

are you sure you need to include 10 lines of headers?

> > if you would like to contribute.

MT = multi-threading
you would have found it out if you clicked on the URL I sent.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Support Israel's right to defend herself! <http://www.i-charity.com/go/israel>
Read what the Arab leaders say to their people on <http://www.memri.org/>
Software is like sex: it's better when it's free.

---

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:59:18 +0200

> What is CLISP MT?
 At a guess, multi-threading.

Regards,
Peter

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Cohen)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:07:37 -0700 (PDT)

> What is CLISP MT?
The project is to make clisp MultiThreaded (=MT), also known as
multiprocessing in olden times.

This has been discussed on and off for years and many of us have
wished for it.  Sam seems to have found someone in Russia who he
says can do it for very few dollars (possibly still a reasonable
number of rubles) - he suggests a few thousand dollars might be
enough.  
Sam wrote:
 Of course, the job will be advertised on SF and the result would have
 to be approved by Bruno.
I don't claim to understand the details of the proposed implementation
but I'm willing to trust Bruno's judgment.

Given the amount I thought it made sense to ask for contributions from
individuals.  Of course, if you can justify charging your research
contract or spending company funds, better still.  Let me know how
much you're willing to contribute.  If the contributions exceed the
actual cost then I think we should just reduce each contribution in
proportion.

I see that Sam has volunteered me to collect the pledges.  I guess
that's only fair since I was trying to volunteer him.  I guess we'll
figure out how to collect the actual money after it's determined that
there will be enough to do something worth while.

 > > Don Cohen <[email-masked]> is accepting pledges to pay for
The address above seems not to work.
(So far I think the problem is in the sourceforge mailer.)
Instead use the address from which I send this message,
  [email-masked] (Don Cohen)

---

From: Russell Senior <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jun 2001 23:01:55 -0700

>>>>> "Don" == Don Cohen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> What is CLISP MT?

Don> The project is to make clisp MultiThreaded (MT), also known as
Don> multiprocessing in olden times.

Don> This has been discussed on and off for years and many of us have
Don> wished for it.  Sam seems to have found someone in Russia who he
Don> says can do it for very few dollars (possibly still a reasonable
Don> number of rubles) - he suggests a few thousand dollars might be
Don> enough.

For what it is worth, I just went to a talk tonight where a guy from
the `LinuxFund.org' stood up and said they were having a hard time
finding people to take their grants.  They give away $1000 at a time,
and right now they aren't being that picky.  Basically about 400-500
words describing the project and, he claims, the money can be made
available.  I immediately made the connection to the CLISP MT project,
particularly because the amounts discussed were comparable.  Someone
might want to take a look at the linuxfund.org site and give it a
whirl.

-- 
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.        
[email-masked]      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible       
                         profanity, which, translated meant, `This is
                         extremely unusual.' ''

---

From: Dave Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:27:00 -0600 (MDT)

> might want to take a look at the linuxfund.org site and give it a

I agree!  Earlier this year I received a LiunxFund credit card and so far
I have spent a few dollars with it, with some of those bucks going towards
Paul Graham's two Lisp books, On Lisp and ACL.  So I definitely think the
clisp project should try to apply for a piece of the LinuxFund action
considering a (so far small) piece of their action has come from me.

So I am fairly new to Lisp, but I would really like to help with the
threading project, if possible, though it seems as though you are looking
for one guy to do it all, and I dont know if I could be that one guy, not
right now anyways.  So if you think that the threading project could
benifit from help from extra people, I am willing to do whatevers needed,
and I am not looking for any of the money.

Thanks,
Dave