Subject: [clisp-list] translations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon Apr 8 14:43:11 2002

I found Stefan Kain's translations to be very helpful, however I was
wondering if the original German comments could be kept in the file also.
I had been using the sources to improve my understanding of German also.
Dan Stanger

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 8 15:36:05 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] translations"
> * Sent on Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:42:49 -0600 (MDT)
> * Honorable [email-masked] writes:
>

CVS is your friend.

The reason the comments will always be in English only is simple:
when you modify the code, you should modify the comments too.
I cannot modify the German comments, so, when Stefan translated
clos.lisp (just now), I had to edit his translation to reflect the
changes I made long ago but did not document then: when editing a
German-commented file, I often relied on code as self-documentation,
and ignored the comments altogether.

> I had been using the sources to improve my understanding of German also.

CLISP is not the right place to learn German.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Booze is the answer. I can't remember the question.

---

From: Reini Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 9 05:07:07 2002

> CLISP is not the right place to learn German.

indeed. 
even for me as native german speaker the old german comments 
were also very confusing.
-- 
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

---

From: Peter Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 9 07:27:08 2002

> were also very confusing.

Hi,

I once tried sending some of the comments to babel fish for
translation.  Now *that* was confusing :-)

The translations are a BIG improvement.  Thanks, Stefan.

regards,
Peter

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 9 10:44:12 2002

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "Re: [clisp-list] translations"
> * Sent on Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:10:56 +0200
> * Honorable Peter Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
>

oh yeah - this is my regular fun.

> The translations are a BIG improvement.  Thanks, Stefan.

indeed!

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
186,000 Miles per Second.  It's not just a good idea.  IT'S THE LAW.

---

From: Stefan Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 9 13:30:05 2002

:-)

> > The translations are a BIG improvement.  Thanks, Stefan.

I'm so deeply touched, I have tears in my eyes... :-)