Subject: [clisp-list] 2.27 on FreeBSD 4.3 with Postgres 7.0.3

From: Eric Moss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Dec 15 21:10:02 2001

Hi,

I installed clisp 2.27 from a FreeBSD port and all was fine, but it was
a basic install--no clx, no regex, etc.  So I expanded the source
tarball in /usr/ports/distfiles, doing the following:

localhost# cd /usr/ports/distfiles
localhost# gunzip -c clisp-2.27.tar.gz | tar xvf -
localhost# cd clisp-2.27
localhost# ./configure build
localhost# cd build
localhost# ./makemake --with-readline --with-gettext --with-dynamic-ffi
--with-dynamic-modules --with-module=wildcard --with-module=regexp
--with-module=clx/new-clx > Makefile
localhost# make config.lisp

< ... edited config.lisp to set the editor and organization name ... >

localhost# make
localhost# make check
localhost# make test
localhost# make testsuite
localhost# make install

That worked just fine, but I also wanted to use postgresql, so I added:

	--with-module=postgresql642

to the ./makemake line (after a "make distclean" to be sure all was
fresh).

This time, the make failed, claiming that /usr/libexec/ld couldn't find
"-lpq".  So, I went to /usr/ports/databases/postgresql and did "make
install", which downloaded and installed postgresql version 7.0.3.  I
copied /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.* to /usr/local/lib, making sure the
links were preserved.

Back in the clisp build directory, a make again failed with exactly the
same error.  I'm not sure what questions to ask, being a newbie at
makefiles, so I'll take a few stabs:

[1] Is this likely a problem of some library path (/usr/local/lib) not
specified in the right place?
... or ...
[2] is ld finding lpq but not the version it hoped for (7.0.3 vs 6.4.2),
but the error message is imprecise?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Dec 16 10:20:02 2001

> * In message <[email-masked]>
> * On the subject of "[clisp-list] 2.27 on FreeBSD 4.3 with Postgres 7.0.3"
> * Sent on Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:13:22 -0600
> * Honorable Eric Moss <[email-masked]> writes:
>

I recommend giving all this args to ./configure.

> copied /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.* to /usr/local/lib, making sure the

after installing a new library, you must rebuild the "library database"
with ldconfig.
this is the piece of arcane knowledge which you learn by a word of
mouth. :-)

this, of course, is is _addition_ to making sure the paths are correct &c.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>
Read, think and remember! <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.