Subject: [clisp-list] lisp news groups

From: Jim Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 24 01:22:02 2004

hi, does anyone reading this list have any success with the
lisp related news groups?  I quite often post questions
about lisp and about python but never have anyone answering
my questions or even comment "wow that was a stupid question" :-)

does anyone have any advice about these groups?  how to get
good responses?  when not to bother etc....

many thanks..

-jim

---

From: Edi Weitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 24 01:34:04 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:21:47 +0100, Jim Newton <[email-masked]> wrote:

> hi, does anyone reading this list have any success with the lisp
> related news groups?

As far as Common Lisp is concerned there's actually only one relevant
newsgroup - that's comp.lang.lisp.

> I quite often post questions about lisp and about python but never
> have anyone answering my questions or even comment "wow that was a
> stupid question" :-)

According to Google you've posted only twice in the last two years
(unless you're using another name). The first one wasn't really a
question but you got two replies. The second one... Well, check it out
yourself:

  <http://www.google.com/groups?client=googlet&q=group%3Acomp.lang.lisp%20author%3Anewton>

> does anyone have any advice about these groups?  how to get good
> responses?  when not to bother etc....

  <http://www.google.com/groups?selm=n0818o8t.fsf%40ccs.neu.edu&output=gplain>

Edi.

---

From: Michael Graffam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 24 01:36:01 2004

> good responses?  when not to bother etc....

This may be obvious, and if so I apologize for the waste of bandwidth..
but do you check back to the newsgroup? It is etiquette to respond to
messages in the group (not to CC to email) and to seek responses
there.

For instance, I asked a question recently about a Bison/Yacc solution for
Common Lisp and was helped nicely with some GPL'd code.

---

From: Kaz Kylheku <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 24 08:12:02 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Jim Newton wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:21:47 +0100
> From: Jim Newton <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [clisp-list] lisp news groups
> 
> lisp related news groups?

You mean the Usenet newsgroup comp.lang.lisp?

The most recent posting from you there, according to Google's archives,
was on November 22, 2003, in a thread "Why don't people like lisp?" that
is also crossposted to comp.lang.python.

> I quite often post questions

If you have posted since then, it must be the case that your articles
are just not making it to the entire Usenet.

---

From: Michael Koehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 24 09:22:14 2004

Moin Kaz Kylheku,

> are just not making it to the entire Usenet.

  I had a (in)famous UseNet site in the late 80th and early 90th.

  Bakunin.North.De caused germany to go down for 3 days (because
  of a cnews/sendsys bug^h^h^h^hfeature ;) and Linux being more
  important than Sex (because of a loop in fido and maus gateways ;)

  I moved out of UseNet news, when it became unreadable.
  
  Mailing lists more close to the topic (e.g. this one) and IRC e.g.
  /server irc.freenode.de /join #lisp replaced news in better way.

  The symtom you describe, is that only cross postings reach the net.
  This may be a problem on your side, or on your feed, and nearly
  impossible to debug without the help of your feed and further
  information.
  
  So the best question is : 
  - Where to find a c.l.lisp feed with a working uplink.

  Think about a provider, that is cheating in a way, that he only has a
  real feed for the groups, he is interested in, e.g. comp.lang.python -
  and receives the rest by satalite downlink. He could offer any group
  for reading, but only postings in his favourites would reach the net.

Bye Michael
-- 
  mailto:[email-masked]             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.4.22'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/           CETERUM CENSEO WINDOWS ESSE DELENDAM

---

From: Kaz Kylheku <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Feb 24 15:28:07 2004

> lisp related news groups?

You mean the Usenet newsgroup comp.lang.lisp? Sure, read and post there
all the time.

The most recent posting from you, according to Google's archives, was
on November 22, 2003, in a thread "Why don't people like lisp?" that is
also crossposted to comp.lang.python.

If you have posted since then, it must be the case that your articles
are simply not making it to the entire Usenet.