Subject: [clisp-list] run-shell-command / run-program with :wait nil

From: Basim Al-Shaikhli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Nov 13 05:45:12 2003

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's a bug in clisp (2.31 2003-09-01), or just me who
misunderstood the documentation:

i thought that ext:run-shell-command / ext:run-program, provided with
the :wait nil keyword would cause an application to be executed in the
background.

(ext:run-program "bla" :wait nil)
hangs until the program "bla" terminates (which unfortunately never
happens in my special case)

is there a way to launch a program in the background via clisp (winXP)?

thanks,
Basim

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Nov 13 06:17:11 2003

> * Basim Al-Shaikhli <[email-masked]> [2003-11-13 14:44:51 +0100]:
>

try experimental EXT::LAUNCH.
All questions to Arseny.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
It's not just a language, it's an adventure.  Common Lisp.

---

From: Basim Al-Shaikhli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Nov 13 06:36:02 2003

> try experimental EXT::LAUNCH.

thanks, i'll try it in the evening...
but, coming back to my initial question, what is :wait nil for, if not 
for backgrounding a program?

---

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Nov 13 07:22:09 2003

> * Basim Al-Shaikhli <[email-masked]> [2003-11-13 15:34:26 +0100]:
>
> what is :wait nil for, if not for backgrounding a program?

it does not work on win32.
when Arseny's EXT::LAUNCH is ready (i.e., does everything what the
current quartet or SHELL/MAKE-[INPUT|OUTPUT|IO]-PIPE do, only better),
it will become the underlying OS interface and :WAIT will work on win32
too.

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Don't use force -- get a bigger hammer.