Subject: [clisp-list] Re: Compiling CLISP on MacOSX

From: james anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Aug 26 00:55:31 2003

as one data-point i have now happened to get clisp to compile.

i enclose a transcript below, in case it might help someone else sort  
this out.

note that
- the 08-25 snapshot made a difference here. previous attempts with the  
08-17 snapshot did not succeed,
- ./configure without '--without-dynamic-ffi' left the build directory  
in a state where a subsequent ./configure failed whether the ffi was  
enabled or not.

osx : 10.2.6
apple devtools: Dec2002DevToolsCD.dmg.bin + Dec2002gccUpdater.dmg.bin
clisp :  
http://cvs2.cons.org/ftp-area/clisp/snapshots/clisp-2003-08-25.tgz

[[[ edit of withDec2002gcc/Makefile

#CFLAGS =  -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit  
-Wreturn-type  -fomit-fra\
me-pointer -Wno-sign-compare -O2 -DUNICODE -DNO_GETTEXT -DNO_SIGSEGV
CFLAGS =  -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit  
-Wreturn-type  -fomit-fram\
e-pointer -Wno-sign-compare -DUNICODE -DNO_GETTEXT -DNO_SIGSEGV

]]]

[localhost:Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25]
janson% gcc_select
Current default compiler:
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1435)
[localhost:Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25]
janson% mkdir withDec2002gcc
[localhost:Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25]
janson% printenv
HOME=/Users/janson
SHELL=/bin/tcsh
USER=janson
PATH=/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
TERM=vt100
TERMCAP=\277\377\330
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=81
LOGNAME=janson
HOSTTYPE=macintosh
VENDOR=apple
OSTYPE=darwin
MACHTYPE=powerpc
SHLVL=1
PWD=/Development/Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25
GROUP=staff
HOST=localhost
MANPATH=/sw/share/man:/sw/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/ 
share/man:/usr/X11R6/man
INFOPATH=/sw/share/info:/sw/info:/usr/local/share/info:/usr/local/lib/ 
info:/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info
PERL5LIB=/sw/lib/perl5
CVSROOT=/Volumes/raidin.tschichold/SourceRepository
CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
[localhost:Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25]
  janson% limit stacksize 8192
[localhost:Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25]
janson% ls
ANNOUNCE        acorn           doc             os2              
win32msvc
COPYRIGHT       amiga           emacs           src              
withDec2002gcc
GNU-GPL         benchmarks      ffcall          tests
INSTALL         clisp.lsm       libcharset      unix
Makefile.devel  clisp.spec      modules         utils
SUMMARY         configure       nextapp         win32bc
[localhost:Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25]
janson% ./configure --without-dynamic-ffi  withDec2002gcc
executing  
/Development/Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25/withDec2002gcc/configure --

...

config.status: creating config.h

To continue building CLISP, the following commands are recommended
   (cf. unix/INSTALL step 4):
     cd withDec2002gcc
     ./makemake    > Makefile
     make config.lisp
     vi config.lisp
     make
     make check
[localhost:Source/clisp/clisp-2003-08-25]
janson%

which instructions were then adequate to build an image.

a note to the script and documentation authors:
the passage in unix/PLATFORMS on osx could be clearer

        FFI does not work yet, you will have to ignore the "avcall-*.h"  
errors in ./configure.

could say to use the '--without-dynamic-ffi' option with ./configure. i  
was getting errors trying to compile a ".d" file for the rs6000, the  
insignificance of which is not clearly implied by the above passage.

      Dec2002 Developer tools with the gcc 3.3 update work OOTB, but
      older versions of GCC might require the `--traditional-cpp' option.
      If you get weird compilation errors (like #else mismatch), try it.

i appears as though the '--traditional-cpp' was not longer available as  
of the 08-17 snapshot, yet the preprocessor errors persisted even with  
Dec2002gccUpdater.dmg.bin installed. the 08-25 snapshot made a  
difference.

...