Subject: [clisp-list] License, libraries and FFI package

From: Hannu Koivisto <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Apr 2000 10:37:52 +0300

Greetings,

Let's say that I write a CL library or program layered on two
parts; pure CL part and FFI to (LGPL/BSD/similar, i.e. that doesn't
restrict me) non-CL library part (that is needed in first versions
until I write the corresponding functionality in CL).  I refuse to
use GPL license for my library/program and wish to use
BSD/LGPL/something-else instead.  Now, if I want to add
CLISP-support to the FFI layer, I naturally have to use CLISP's FFI
package but the license says ``This copyright does *not* cover user
programs that run in CLISP, if they don't reference symbols in
CLISP's built-in packages (except the packages LISP, USER,
COMMON-LISP, COMMON-LISP-USER, KEYWORD), i.e. if they don't rely on
CLISP internals and would as well run in any other Common Lisp
implementation.''

Am I correct to say that my library would need to be GPL too?  This
is my interpretation, although the intent vs. reality of that
sentence in the CLISP's license collide a bit (in my opininion)
since my library is intended to be usable in other CL's (actually,
CMUCL is my primary target).

Although I said ``Let's say I write'', this is actually a realistic
situation for my library that, although not finished yet, is
getting closer and I'd like to clarify whether I can make CLISP
support for it or not.  The same applies to many other libraries
and applications that I intend to write, since few of them can be
pure CL.

-- 
Hannu